Procter won the best lineman award!?!?!!?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I don't know if this is meant to insult the other linemen or was an honest assessment

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2496677 said:
I don't know if this is meant to insult the other linemen or was an honest assessment

Or to keep his morale high in case he would be needed to start against the Ravens. Any of those 3 are possibilities.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2496599 said:
My sense was that Colombo played best. No question that Flo and Bigg had bad games, and Gurode's early snap was costly as hell. rocter clearly whiffed on a few blocks (that even we armchair "professional scouts" could see), but so did Flo.

Honestly, I think he's probably getting credit for that one pull block...which was surprising to me, because he went for the same guy Witten already had down cold instead of the upfield man that ended up making the tackle.

Colombo gave up two sacks last night. You know the Giants are a very good team. Their DL is perhaps one of their strong suits as well. So it shouldn't be a huge surprise that the OL was tested against them.

Our OL outplayed their DL and certainly the Giants OL. But I'll say it again. They did not have a very good night esp the first quarter which was almost a disaster. They did play better in the second half. Proctor's play improved and they did run the ball up the middle with Proctor laying one of the blocks to spring Choice on the TD run.

He's servicable and he's going to make mistakes and play at a level consistent with a backup. That doesn't equate to horrible excluding the first quarter for all of them.

It's amazing that people will go to great lengths to scapegoat him even turning Wade's praise into excuses.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2496511 said:
But he had to be bad, John Madden made a point of showing him beaten by a DT on one pass rush and John Madden is never wrong.:bang2:

Well you have to excuse Madden as he has not been able to see clearly since 1992 when Brett Favre became the starter in Green Bay and John stuck his head up Brett's keaster. Kinda hard to see anything from that vantage point.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
jobberone;2496736 said:
Colombo gave up two sacks last night. You know the Giants are a very good team. Their DL is perhaps one of their strong suits as well. So it shouldn't be a huge surprise that the OL was tested against them.

Our OL outplayed their DL and certainly the Giants OL. But I'll say it again. They did not have a very good night esp the first quarter which was almost a disaster. They did play better in the second half. Proctor's play improved and they did run the ball up the middle with Proctor laying one of the blocks to spring Choice on the TD run.

He's servicable and he's going to make mistakes and play at a level consistent with a backup. That doesn't equate to horrible excluding the first quarter for all of them.

It's amazing that people will go to great lengths to scapegoat him even turning Wade's praise into excuses.

Maybe they do, but I think it would be naive of us to suppose that Wade is above giving exaggerated praise to those who have outperformed expectations, even if they weren't the best performer.

Procter was one of a number of poor performers on the O-Line last night, but based on some of the missed assignments, I still think Wade was taking advantage of one of the few opportunities he'll probably have to boost up a beleaguered player's ego. No one really had any place to complain, given their own performances.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2496756 said:
Maybe they do, but I think it would be naive of us to suppose that Wade is above giving exaggerated praise to those who have outperformed expectations, even if they weren't the best performer.

Procter was one of a number of poor performers on the O-Line last night, but based on some of the missed assignments, I still think Wade was taking advantage of one of the few opportunities he'll probably have to boost up a beleaguered player's ego. No one really had any place to complain, given their own performances.

Like I said to say he was the best of the worst is not saying a lot. Proctor did some good things. And the entire line was confused in the first quarter which almost knocked Tony out of the game.

The OL has some issues and I have no idea what they are beyond missing assignments too often, getting false starts..even Witten, and just not playing very well. I imagine it is a multi-faceted problem. BTW, if you heard Wade, it sounded as if he was genuinely praising him. Which I find disturbing in and of itself somewhat.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I used to have a high-school teacher who gave multiple quizzes each DAY!

Each question would be worth 2 marks, and there would be 2-4 quizzes each day. Was super weird. Anyway, rarely this hardarse would give out a "POINT 5 CONFIDENCE BUILDER" to someone who came up with a creative or very close, yet incorrect answer. POINT 5 as in 1/2 a mark out of the days worth of 40-50 marks in quizzes hehe.

I think Procter getting the oline award for that game is his POINT 5 Confidence Builder" hehe :laugh1:

Mr. Crossetti. Weirdest teacher I ever had. Will never forget him. He also gave out 50 point BONUS marks if a person was the ONLY student who got an answer right. I wonder if Gurode gets one of those from Wade for snapping the ball on a count different from anyone else :mad:

LarryCanadian

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think Wade's just trying to get Proctor some positive reinforcement.

newlander

Reaction score
Hmmmmm....Procter wins the "best linemen award". Reminds me of a song by REM:

"IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT............AND I FEEL FINE"

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Actually the truth is more disturbing. I realize now Wade was calling out the entire OL esp the regular guys. I went back and watched the first quarter again. Proctor did play better. Oh, he got used three times. Colombo and Davis were worse.

Thankfully they all started playing better again.

There is no excuse for Colombo and Davis to misread that many blitzes.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2496838 said:
I used to have a high-school teacher who gave multiple quizzes each DAY!

Each question would be worth 2 marks, and there would be 2-4 quizzes each day. Was super weird. Anyway, rarely this hardarse would give out a "POINT 5 CONFIDENCE BUILDER" to someone who came up with a creative or very close, yet incorrect answer. POINT 5 as in 1/2 a mark out of the days worth of 40-50 marks in quizzes hehe.

I think Procter getting the oline award for that game is his POINT 5 Confidence Builder" hehe :laugh1:

Mr. Crossetti. Weirdest teacher I ever had. Will never forget him. He also gave out 50 point BONUS marks if a person was the ONLY student who got an answer right. I wonder if Gurode gets one of those from Wade for snapping the ball on a count different from anyone else :mad:

LarryCanadian
You talking about old Crowbar Crossetti?? The man who said "if you don't like my little quizzies you should see my little testies".

The Panch

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2496532 said:
Some how I doubt that Wade seriously believes he played the best. He simply isn't going to kick the guy while he's down. That isn't Wade's style.
And that's why he shouldnt be the coach.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Don't know if "Crowbar" is the same guy or not. Did your guy always wear a red or blue sweater, and not allow people to carry pencils if they went up to his desk because he got "stabbed" once?

Did your guy say stuff like "take your lumps Simpson" when you were whining about some unfair penalty he imposed on ya hehe.

Anyway, I think Wade was doing just that, giving some "lumps" to rest of oline and trying to bolster what must be a very tenuous confidence level of Procter.

LarryCanadian

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
THUMPER;2496749 said:
Well you have to excuse Madden as he has not been able to see clearly since 1992 when Brett Favre became the starter in Green Bay and John stuck his head up Brett's keaster. Kinda hard to see anything from that vantage point.

Point taken.

You're definitely correct on that.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2497150 said:
Point taken.

You're definitely correct on that.

He was talking about Proctor being a turnstile and while he was guilty it was Davis and Colombo who were sucking it up.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don't believe that for one millisecond...he just doesn't want the questions about Procter asked anymore.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2497199 said:
I don't believe that for one millisecond...he just doesn't want the questions about Procter asked anymore.

Go back and watch the OL. He's right. And he is making a point to the other OL. They should do better. And in fact they played at least as bad and IMO worse than Procter. Again Proctor had a poor first quarter once they starting blitzing. Davis and Colombo were clearly worse.

30yrheel

Reaction score
proctor does get pushed back, but it looks like he's better pulling and blocking for screens, etc.