Profound Grief: 53 Migrants found dead; deadliest smuggling attempt in History

terra

Reaction score
They call those that do this coyote's which is an insult to a much better animal...

and yes they all need to die. Hung by the neck until dead; none of this 'oh we must make their deaths painless no matter how much effort it takes' which is an insult to the victims.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have never been trapped in a trailer before so forgive me for perhaps speaking out of turn.. But how in the hell does a person stay locked in one of those things until they die? Or could it just have been a case of falling asleep at night not knowing oxygen was low and never waking up? I do know this, if I was awake, that thing would have had to be made out of some sturdy stuff to keep me in it until I died. But then again maybe riding hundreds of miles in the damn thing robbed all the guys of the energy to fight their way out.. In any case, what a terrible tragedy and needless loss of life. What the hell is wrong with us!?!?!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have never been trapped in a trailer before so forgive me for perhaps speaking out of turn.. But how in the hell does a person stay locked in one of those things until they die? Or could it just have been a case of falling asleep at night not knowing oxygen was low and never waking up? I do know this, if I was awake, that thing would have had to be made out of some sturdy stuff to keep me in it until I died. But then again maybe riding hundreds of miles in the damn thing robbed all the guys of the energy to fight their way out.. In any case, what a terrible tragedy and needless loss of life. What the hell is wrong with us!?!?!
First, they probably died while the truck was going 60 mph in the desert.

Second, there's no way you could get out of one without tools. Whether it was a roll up door or a dual swing pair of doors, they're latched from the outside and about a half inch to three quarter inch thick wood, or a combination of wood and fiberglass. Of course, if depending on the type of trailer, it could be steel doors.

Third, by the time they realized the trailer wouldn't be opened in time for them to survive, they were probably too tired to even try. I imagine they made a lot of noise for a while.

terra

Reaction score
You do understand this was not a mobile home or RV; it was a cargo trailer; semi I believe. You have surely seen them; you think with a lock on the doors you are going to be able to force your way out?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People so desperate to escape the smoke ran straight into the fire.

I am surprised this hasn't happened more since they've been transporting desperate people that trust bandits for years.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You do understand this was not a mobile home or RV; it was a cargo trailer; semi I believe. You have surely seen them; you think with a lock on the doors you are going to be able to force your way out?
Doesn't even need a lock, if your on the inside. Just the latch.

terra

Reaction score
Doesn't even need a lock, if your on the inside. Just the latch.
true. but that means if you somehow are able to knock a hole in the door and try and fit something through to try and raise the latch the lock stops you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
true. but that means if you somehow are able to knock a hole in the door and try and fit something through to try and raise the latch the lock stops you.
If you were able to knock a hole in the door, you could just do it where the latch is attached, and knock the whole latch off the door, but you'd need something like a sledge hammer, axe, or saw. I don't think you could even do much with a pry bar.

If you're talking about just making a small hole and putting some wire or something through, even that's unlikely, but if you somehow managed, you'd have to find and lift the stopper out of the way, and lift the latch at the same time. The swing of the handle is 180 degrees, and about a foot in distance, and even with a brand new trailer it would require probably about 10 pounds of pressure to lift. And that's with a roll up door. A swinging door would be virtually impossible to open without making a hole big enough to fit your arm through.

Roll up door
y2cEy12.jpg

Swinging door
Qgb5v6L.jpg

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There is a locking handle and a latch on top of that. No need for a lock if someone is on the inside. They could have kicked holes in it, if it was old enough. But those holes wouldn't have been big enough to get out.

With trapped body heat and Texas' heat index, these people never had a chance.

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
Should someone or some people be held accountable? Hell yes, but it won’t happen. The plan is the plan, there will be no changing it.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The tractor-trailer at the center of a human-smuggling attempt that left 53 people dead had passed through an inland U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint with migrants inside the sweltering rig earlier in its journey, a U.S. official said Thursday.

Texas state police also announced they would operate their own inland checkpoints for tractor-trailers on the orders of Gov. Greg Abbott, who considers the Biden administration’s efforts insufficient.

https://apnews.com/article/texas-united-states-san-antonio-laredo-f80721c90620e40124adad62e684519b

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The doors were partially open They were either checked on by the driver or someone before the police arrived

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Please try an explain to me how trucks are not inspected coming across the border???
Maybe they walk across then hop in the truck a little while later. In fact some trucks might not even cross the border. They could just drive near there and pick people up.