Progress Report: DE Sam Williams

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeh, this is not from your DC.com progress report that's being frequently posted.

This is a progress thought from yours truly .. ;)

- And it regards 2nd year DE Sam Williams who has every chance to be what the Cowboys had hoped Randy Gregory to be.
His bend and agility may not be on a scale of a Gregory, but he is already much bigger, and powerful than what Gregory brought.
He has his own version of a first step burst get off.

- Athletically and physically, " Sam I am " has it all .. size (260 lbs) ..speed (4.4 in 40) ..and he's already country-nature strong.
Just imagine more so how he will be once he's full scale in the offseason program.

- I thought Cowboys did a great job working him in gradually in the rotation. Not forcing him to take on too much and too soon.
Playing behind Armstrong and DFowler helped. Sorry i'm not the least worried about Takk McKinley pressing him.

- Typical rookies, Sam showed his ups and downs, and inconsistencies,..and that rookie wall.
i do want to see Williams perform and show up mucn more on the road, than what he does in home games.
But he also showed the innate pas rush skills that has the team excited about his future.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeh, this is not from your DC.com progress report that's being frequently posted.

- And it regards 2nd year DE Sam Williams who has every chance to be what the Cowboys had hoped Randy Gregory to be.
His bend and agility may not be on a scale of a Gregory, but he is already much bigger, and powerful than what Gregory brought.

- Athletically and physically, " Sam I am " has it all .. size (260 lbs) ..speed (4.4 in 40) ..and he's already country-nature strong.
Just imagine more so how he will be once he's full scale in the offseason program.

- I thought Cowboys did a great job working him in gradually in the rotation. Not forcing him to take on too much and too soon.
Playing behind Armstrong and DFowler helped. Sorry i'm not the least worried about Takk McKinley pressing him.

- Typical rookies, Sam showed his ups and downs, and inconsistencies,..and that rookie wall.
i do want to see Williams perform and show up mucn more on the road, than what he does in home games.
But he also showed the innate pas rush skills that has the team excited about his future.
To 'quickccc' : Adding to your analysis -- if Sam Williams puts it all together, he can garner more snaps in a rotation with DeMarcus Lawrence at LDE this upcoming season -- thus allowing the veteran (which will be his 10th year) to keep playing at a stellar level ...and help forge a formidable DLine that contributes to a deep playoff run.

exciter

Reaction score
He wears 54. Hopefully he plays like Randy White and not Bobbie Carpenter lol.
Yeah, think he’s too damm mean to play like Bobbie… his issue looks much more like it would be mental not physical!

Knotamus

Reaction score
- if Sam Williams puts it all together, he can garner more snaps in a rotation with DeMarcus Lawrence at LDE this upcoming season -- thus allowing the veteran (which will be his 10th year) to keep playing at a stellar level
All due respect.. This sounds good, but in all reality, Williams will have to improve in stopping the run before he comes close to garnering snaps from Lawrence

Williams 4 sacks and 22 pressures on 273 snaps is a great start. If he can improve those numbers & demonstrate improvement against the run with similar snaps.. then we can start talking starter material.

Imo.. exp in Dan Quinn’s full rotation defense.. Sam is exactly where he needs to be to excel

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
For those of you saying Sam Williams needs to improve on stopping the run, ......

What games have y'all been watching???

Here is some film. Sam Williams has been a beast against both the run and the pass...

He's only going to get better this upcoming sophomore year. Sam Williams is a beast against both the run and the pass. Can't wait to see Sam Williams in 2023.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For those of you saying Sam Williams needs to improve on stopping the run, ......

Here is some film. Sam Williams has been a beast against both the run and the pass...

He's only going to get better this upcoming sophomore year. Sam Williams is a beast against both the run and the pass. Can't wait to see Sam Williams in 2023.

Looked good against the run to me..I';m not sure if that's why his snaps were limited? Seemed like after the car crash his snaps got lowered.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorite young players on this team. Instantly took a likening to him once I saw him in the preseason and thought he had a very very high ceiling based on those preseason games and the more I saw him in the “real games”, the more confident it made me that he will be an impact player here. I think even last year his play earned him more regular season snaps than he was given, at least in the nickel. I think he’ll eventually be a double digit sack guy.

what surprised me the most was his strength. What he has to work on the most is holding the edge. He was very poor at holding the edge year 1 which was fine, he’ll learn. I forget who on here kept posting how great he was against the run all year and even the “highlight” videos it showed him just getting blown inside over and over. But he also shot the gap and blew a few runs up. I think he’ll get more of an opportunity and make a bigger impact this year against both the run and the pass and I think he may double his sack total from last season. I’m very excited to see how this kid does year 2.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Big deal if we've hit on a quality starting DE at the tail end of the 2nd round.

We're looking like a real defense, and that's even without a DT/NT.

I'm not even as much of a DT guy, but even I've been saying "this has got to be the year" for a while. Time to spend a real pick on a NT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

These tapes are biased. That FIRST play they look at, yah he gets a nice first push, but then he gets completely controlled and whipped out by the OT.

Some nice good plays by the young DE and I definitely like him. But the kid has to produce on the field consistently. Hopefully he will take a big step forward. He was NOT a world beater his first year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
These tapes are biased. That FIRST play they look at, yah he gets a nice first push, but then he gets completely controlled and whipped out by the OT.

Some nice good plays by the young DE and I definitely like him. But the kid has to produce on the field consistently. Hopefully he will take a big step forward. He was NOT a world beater his first year.
Sam Williams is definitely much better against the run than our other veteran DEs who lined up on the right side. He should have gotten more reps.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sam Williams is definitely much better against the run than our other veteran DEs who lined up on the right side. He should have gotten more reps.
Probably but why didnt he get more play? When a guy is GREAT he stands out and they cant keep him off the field. Like Parsons, Lamb, ect.....ect...