Progress Report: DE Sam Williams

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Probably but why didnt he get more play? When a guy is GREAT he stands out and they cant keep him off the field. Like Parsons, Lamb, ect.....ect...
Parsons looked tired 2 years in a row by the time Thanksgiving game came around.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What does that have to do with our conversation?
Substitute Micah Parsons throughout the season with Sam Williams. That would help Micah stay fresh while giving Sam more needed reps. Plus, you brought up Micah as being great. Well, where was he the past two seasons in December and January? That's not including the playoffs. He wasn't great against the 49ers 2 years in a row during the playoffs. Let's not label players as great unless they can be great all season long, including playoffs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Substitute Micah Parsons throughout the season with Sam Williams. That would help Micah stay fresh while giving Sam more needed reps. Plus, you brought up Micah as being great. Well, where was he the past two seasons in December and January? That's not including the playoffs. He wasn't great against the 49ers 2 years in a row during the playoffs. Let's not label players as great unless they can be great all season long, including playoffs.
I judge a guy on his entire body of work. Not cherry picking. He was #2 in DPOY honors so I think that speaks for himself.

Two years ago he didnt even show up for the Niners game. This year he was very good in the niners game.

Now if Williams can take on a real role then maybe Parsons can get the rest he needs.

Parsons is great FYI....................thats already been established in my mind.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He barely played anything other than special teams in his whole career lol...darnit Parcells
Please. He wasn't working out. His draft spot wasn't a gift. Universally regarded as a 1st rounder..

He stank an BP was man enough to not play him.

FaSho

Reaction score
Please. He wasn't working out. His draft spot wasn't a gift. Universally regarded as a 1st rounder..

He stank an BP was man enough to not play him.
I never said his draft spot was a gift? lol just pointing out that he was a bust.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yeh, this is not from your DC.com progress report that's being frequently posted.

This is a progress thought from yours truly .. ;)

- And it regards 2nd year DE Sam Williams who has every chance to be what the Cowboys had hoped Randy Gregory to be.
His bend and agility may not be on a scale of a Gregory, but he is already much bigger, and powerful than what Gregory brought.
He has his own version of a first step burst get off.

- Athletically and physically, " Sam I am " has it all .. size (260 lbs) ..speed (4.4 in 40) ..and he's already country-nature strong.
Just imagine more so how he will be once he's full scale in the offseason program.

- I thought Cowboys did a great job working him in gradually in the rotation. Not forcing him to take on too much and too soon.
Playing behind Armstrong and DFowler helped. Sorry i'm not the least worried about Takk McKinley pressing him.

- Typical rookies, Sam showed his ups and downs, and inconsistencies,..and that rookie wall.
i do want to see Williams perform and show up mucn more on the road, than what he does in home games.
But he also showed the innate pas rush skills that has the team excited about his future.
His right foot’s a little too heavy.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yeh, this is not from your DC.com progress report that's being frequently posted.

This is a progress thought from yours truly .. ;)

- And it regards 2nd year DE Sam Williams who has every chance to be what the Cowboys had hoped Randy Gregory to be.
His bend and agility may not be on a scale of a Gregory, but he is already much bigger, and powerful than what Gregory brought.
He has his own version of a first step burst get off.

- Athletically and physically, " Sam I am " has it all .. size (260 lbs) ..speed (4.4 in 40) ..and he's already country-nature strong.
Just imagine more so how he will be once he's full scale in the offseason program.

- I thought Cowboys did a great job working him in gradually in the rotation. Not forcing him to take on too much and too soon.
Playing behind Armstrong and DFowler helped. Sorry i'm not the least worried about Takk McKinley pressing him.

- Typical rookies, Sam showed his ups and downs, and inconsistencies,..and that rookie wall.
i do want to see Williams perform and show up mucn more on the road, than what he does in home games.
But he also showed the innate pas rush skills that has the team excited about his future.
Ah, the preseason twitters!:)
Nothing wrong with
anticipation, lads!
But we should elevate tha to expectation as well, me dudes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I judge a guy on his entire body of work. Not cherry picking. He was #2 in DPOY honors so I think that speaks for himself.

Two years ago he didnt even show up for the Niners game. This year he was very good in the niners game.

Now if Williams can take on a real role then maybe Parsons can get the rest he needs.

Parsons is great FYI....................thats already been established in my mind.
Micah started this past season with a big lead in sacks. Come Thanksgiving, he dwindled and got passed by several other players during December and January. You've got to be great all season long, not just 2/3rds. The greats show up all season long. Micah needs to work on his endurance.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Micah started this past season with a big lead in sacks. Come Thanksgiving, he dwindled and got passed by several other players during December and January. You've got to be great all season long, not just 2/3rds. The greats show up all season long. Micah needs to work on his endurance.
Yah I agree he tapers off, but dont agree that he isnt a great player already. Parsons is a complete stud. Its up to the coaches to use him properly and give him rest when needed.

Cowboys seem to be the worst at managing players.

jnday

Reaction score
Probably but why didnt he get more play? When a guy is GREAT he stands out and they cant keep him off the field. Like Parsons, Lamb, ect.....ect...
Where did you hear about him being great? He is a young player with a bright future if he works hard and keeps his head on straight. I have seen a lot of first round DEs that had worse rookie seasons than Sam.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Where did you hear about him being great? He is a young player with a bright future if he works hard and keeps his head on straight. I have seen a lot of first round DEs that had worse rookie seasons than Sam.
Nobody has said he is great.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I see no reason why Sam Williams can't improve against both the pass and run. Without question, he's a physical specimen who's aggressive enough to develop into an elite DE. Typically, DEs tend to improve impressively in their 2nd year. I'm anticipating an impressive improvement to be in store for this DE in the season that lies ahead. It'll be up to Dan Quinn and the defensive staff to step up his activity in the season to come. Hopefully, he'll make the most of the opportunity to prove that he's all that will be expected of him. His talent appears very promising. Let's hope the mental part of his development lives up to his physical promise. If so, the Cowboys should have a winner for many years to come.

Last edited:

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
For those of you saying Sam Williams needs to improve on stopping the run, ......

What games have y'all been watching???

Here is some film. Sam Williams has been a beast against both the run and the pass...

He's only going to get better this upcoming sophomore year. Sam Williams is a beast against both the run and the pass. Can't wait to see Sam Williams in 2023.

Thanks for sharing AC, I've always liked this guys breakdowns.

I'll get flamed for this, but I still don't know why we kept Gallimore over Hill. Just in the handful of plays he was in on the video, many flashed on what I thought he could become. Maybe his attitude was the problem, we will never know.

Now Quinn has forgotten more football than I will ever know, but I seen some elite traits in Hill. Especially when you consider who was in our DT room.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing AC, I've always liked this guys breakdowns.

I'll get flamed for this, but I still don't know why we kept Gallimore over Hill. Just in the handful of plays he was in on the video, many flashed on what I thought he could become. Maybe his attitude was the problem, we will never know.

Now Quinn has forgotten more football than I will ever know, but I seen some elite traits in Hill. Especially when you consider who was in our DT room.
Agreed, brother. Gallimore has been a big disappointment. Should have kept Hill over Gallimore. Heck, cutting John Ridgeway proved to be a mistake as well last season. For so much that Dan Quinn does good, he also makes some mistakes.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I guess so.

He had one good game

Maybe you’ve been living at training camp and can hook us up with good info

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam Williams should take a big leap this season with the flashes he showed last season.
I believe there were some minor injuries from his car wreck that hampered his play. Perhaps, a minor concussion as well (just a wild guess). Didn't he miss a game or 2 after that. I can't recall.

Anyway, year two of a player showing good signs just like Bland, will help the fefense tremendously. I expect to see Williams take more snaps from a player such as Fowler, therefore making even Fowler more productive (fresh legs).
With the addition of Gilmore, that could give the DL, even if 1/2 a second longer to get more pressures, or more sacks. Eliminate those frustrating...almost got there....plays.

Jarntt

Reaction score
if Williams takes another step forward It will be interesting to see what happens if an edge falls to us early in the draft. I think McKinley is already facing an uphill battle to make the team or at least the game day roster and if we bring in another edge Fowler could left without a game day role as well since he is a one trick pony. I do like a guy like Fowler getting about 10 snaps a game in pure pass rush situations, so it will be interesting to see how the position develops.

Ideally IMO, unless we bring in another LB, we still Rush Micah in pass situations, but play him a little bit more like his rookie year with a bunch of run snaps at a pure LB position and then bring him from all over the place on some 3rd downs instead of just lining up at edge as much as last year. I loved when teams didn’t know where Micah was coming from and the confusion and mayhem it caused.

Last edited: