Project Dallas' top 3 needs in the 2018 Draft

What 3 positions will be the Cowboys biggest needs? (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Lack of votes for DT surprises me... sure we all like Collins but he still needs to establish himself as the disruptive 3T that this scheme requires to succeed. Paea and Thornton are JAGs.

We'll never go where we need to go on defense until we become stout up front, DTs are the C/Gs of offense... not the sexy picks but absolutely critical to winning where it matters most, at the middle of LOS.

DE still needs to sort itself out and may very well be a top need again in 2018, but at least we have some young ascending players there who could turn into answers this season. At DT we have Collins and nothing else.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
1 and 1A are a 1-tech and Strong Safety.
3 - After the year plays out we will know more, but, it's either a TE or DE at this point.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i think we will get a good crop in draft next year along with our supplemental picks..also i think we will do more in free agency..we have a little window before Dak
commands QB money and we should go for broke...lets have one year of the good ol Jerry gun-slinging financial blowout and grab some stars to kick some butt
It sure worked good For New York Giants...they turned their season around just from free agency blow-out pick-ups...so next year killer draft and killer free agency
pickups and kick some serious NFL butt

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I think Xavier Woods has enough potential to hold off SS being a need in 2018. Even if SS is a **** show with Heath and Banton (is that his name?) Woods should at least get a chance to prove himself next year. If Woods can't do it, I'd say SS definitely becames a need in 2019.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I voted DE, DT and LB. DE has suspensions and Injury guys, expiring contracts, ect., LB we have Sean Lee and who? I had hopes for Wilson but he's a moron, Jaylon might be something but we just dont know yet. And DT...we've made investments per se, but they need to take the 1-T more seriously. And our big 3T signing doesn't even know if he's a DE or a DT right now. Tired of getting gashed up the middle for long gains.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I am the QB vote. We have festering excrement behind our Captain. We need a viable, reliable back-up, just in case.
I'm right there behind u. Just not sure the #2 QB next year should be a rookie, tbh I'd rather trade a 4 or 5 for a vet.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I'm right there behind u. Just not sure the #2 QB next year should be a rookie, tbh I'd rather trade a 4 or 5 for a vet.
A vet would be nice, but the crop of backup vets in the league right now are pure manure. I miss the 90s and 2000s where a solid vet could be found. In the last 5-8 years or so, they have seemed to have vanished off the face of the planet.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, I'll bet it's DE LB and WR

DE- obvious projected need. Even if Taco turns in Bosa, Dallas will need to give him help.

LB- Sean Lee is 30, (I think) and historically had injury issues. Jaylon may be the future but he can't do it all himself.

WR- Dez has been getting injured lately, and is 28. T-Will is 28, and has been given multiple opportunities to prove he can step-in for Dez from time to time. Beasley is 27ish, hasn't had injury issues (knock on wood) but with his age and size, gotta plan on one coming soon.
I wanted to vote WR 3 times...

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I think my DE LB and WR choices are holding up. The DBs from this years draft need a full year before I’d consider making them a high priority need again.

Sydla

Reaction score
Top three needs change week to week.

Haha.

Sydla

Reaction score
Defense, defense, and more defense.

On one hand sure.

On the other hand, this offense has some holes. It's time to find a legit TE. Witten is done. We need a real #2 WR that can threaten defenses. And LG is an issue. As I said, if we are picking in the mid to late 1st round and Quentin Nelson is sitting there, I'd have no problem taking him.

The reality is this organization has to spend some money in FA this offseason. No, don't go NYG spending spree type spending but they can't sift through the Nolan Carroll bin either. Way too many holes.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't disagree that we need to address those exact same positions especially if BPA come draft time is special and obvious, like a Quentin Nelson.

..but if we don't seriously address this defense, Dak's career will mirror Romo's. People like to blame Romo for the 4th quarter turnovers but they forget he had the highest rated 4th quarter QBR. He had to bring this team back over and over again because the lousy defenses kept giving back the lead. Dak is suffering the same fate because this current defense can not make critical stops.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't disagree that we need to address those exact same positions especially if BPA come draft time is special and obvious, like a Quentin Nelson.

..but if we don't seriously address this defense, Dak's career will mirror Romo's. People like to blame Romo for the 4th quarter turnovers but they forget he had the highest rated 4th quarter QBR. He had to bring this team back over and over again because the lousy defenses kept giving back the lead. Dak is suffering the same fate because this current defense can not make critical stops.

I don't disagree.

Frankly, a bigger issue than personnel and who and what to draft and should we spend in FA is the coaching staff but that's a discussion for another board.

I'd go with a vet S if I could. They need some leadership back there to pair with the young CBs. Someone who can provide guidance, etc. At this point, I am all about playing Woods back there to see what you have. Maybe he shows you he can handle one of the safety spots. Move Jones back to CB and bring in a vet safety. That wouldn't be a bad secondary at all - Woods and a vet S with guys like Scandrick, Jones, Awuzie (or try him at S too) and Lewis.

I'd also bring in a vet MLB. Again, someone who can help Lee as well as provide guidance to Smith and even Wilson, who I think has a little bit of skill.

And for god's sake, invest something in a real big sloppy, space eating 1 tech. Draft, free agency, whatever. Collins is getting mauled this year and I wonder if it's because teams don't really pay attention to the 1 tech because we are inept there.