Project Dallas' top 3 needs in the 2018 Draft

What 3 positions will be the Cowboys biggest needs? (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Jesus people don't think about how things will look next year.

DE we have a first, 2 seconds, a third and David Irving. Or

Lawrence Taco
Irving Gregory

We don't need to address DE in this draft. If people think we don't have room for an early LB due to our propensity for nickle then those people should be in favor of moving up for Derwin James.

If if if I had it my way

Derwin James Earl Thomas
Chidobe Awuzie Jourdan Lewis Byron Jones
Jaylon Smith Sean Lee
Taco Collins legit 1T Lawrence

Exchange woods for James and put Vea or hurst at 1 T and it's damn good.
Lol stop it dude. Seattle isn’t giving us Earl Thomas and James is prob going too 10. That’s a steep trade up

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
So has anyone’s opinion changed?

I would not have said offense of line at the start of the season, but now seeing that Tyron and Cooper are injured pretty regularly I think it makes sense to look for a future tackle/guard early.

coach steele

Reaction score
This is tough for me because I’d love to have a RDE as well as more depth at swing tackle (our offense clearly wasn’t the same when Tyron wasn’t in there. I’m concerned about his back next year and moving forward).

However, I’d say we need more speed on offense. WE need a speed WR with some suddenness to him (we also need our scheme to adjust and have Dak take more risks on the chunk play to keep defenses honest). This would allow us to run the ball more afffectively and keep safeties from choking up to the line of scrimmage.

Second, we need a linebacker. I think Jaylon Smith will be better prepared to play next year and should be fully recovered. However, Hitch will be a FA and Sean Lee is often injured.

Lastly, though our defensive coordinator won’t sign off on this, the health of our linebackers and our run defense would improve with a big 1 technique. Someone who demands a double team and frees up the linebackers to make plays.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Jesus people don't think about how things will look next year.

DE we have a first, 2 seconds, a third and David Irving. Or

Lawrence Taco
Irving Gregory

We don't need to address DE in this draft. If people think we don't have room for an early LB due to our propensity for nickle then those people should be in favor of moving up for Derwin James.

If if if I had it my way

Derwin James Earl Thomas
Chidobe Awuzie Jourdan Lewis Byron Jones
Jaylon Smith Sean Lee
Taco Collins legit 1T Lawrence

Exchange woods for James and put Vea or hurst at 1 T and it's damn good.
At DE we have Lawrence who had 1 really good year and 3 meh years.

Taco was Meh in his rookie year.

Irving who flashed last year then showed no improvement this year.

And Gregory...

That being said I’m not opposed to Dallas taking a LB or DT high in the draft, but to act like DE is solved a little delusional.

coach steele

Reaction score

And Gregory...

That being said I’m not opposed to Dallas taking a LB or DT high in the draft, but to act like DE is solved a little delusional.

I hear people say Irving didn’t improve. Didn’t he have 7 sacks despite playing in only 8 games? At one point, he was on an absolute tear.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
LB is the only supremely pressing need on defense, but a large one. WR and OL are concerning.

conner01

Reaction score
LB is to me the biggest need. The drop off without lee was tremendous
Lots of needs but we really need the next Lee assuming it’s even possible this year

erod

Reaction score
Unless you draft a QB, offense is a waste of a draft pick.

Just draft defense and try to win, 10-9.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
DT - 1-tech tackle (move Irving to RDE)
WR - Have to add some speed
OL - With Smith's back issues, have to add more depth to the position. This offense goes as this unit goes.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not to excited about the David Irving news concerning his concussion. I think we the team needs to consider more then 3 positions. It looks like we will have 10 picks. We need 5 quality players(starters) from the draft if we don't use free agency to get better.

rkell87

Reaction score

And Gregory...

Not acting like it's solved but looking at allocation of resources. Can't see us spending even a third round pick for DE. Hitchens I think will test the market and ultimately leave for a starting opportunity. Lee needs a legitimate backup due to fragility so LB is a top 3 priority in my mind. DT happens to be decently deep this year and would help our LBs and DEs immensely so that's definitely at top 3 priority probably top 2. It doesn't even have to be a 1T as long as the 3T we draft is better than what Collins would give you at 3T.

I see our priorities in tiers, DT an LB are top tier. I think DT needs to be drafted in the first two rounds, LB can be any of the first three rounds and the 3rd priority changes based how the draft falls.

Tier 2: QB, S, WR, OL, LB(again)

If we have a top 10 QB on our board available at 19 I think we have to seriously consider it. Past that we should look for another developmental project at the position in round 3-4.

Same for Safety but add in the 5th round as well

WR is a possibility in round 2, 4, and 5

OL is a possibility in 3-7

One or more of our compensatory picks are likely to be used on LB

Tiers 3: TE, CB

Not to be considered before the fifth round