Projected starters and where we have upgraded

quickccc

Reaction score
Agreed, hopefully Biadez will beat out Loon for the starting position.

eventually BadAzzz will beat out Looney, it may happen at some point this year .vs waiting for him next year... it's a reason why they moved up to get him, and he's a Rimington winner for best collegiate center.

but i do wonder if Tyler is still mending from post surgeries (of course competitively he himself is gonna optimistically he's ready to go)
and a wipe out off season and limited camp and no preseason definitely
is not gonna help his matters. Maybe the coaches choose to take it slowly with Tyler at the earlier part, before he eventually starts
taking reps in either practice,.. or in already decided games in mop up duty.

If stopgap vet Looney gives us that luxury of not having to rush Tyler to the wolves to start the season, i'm for that.
Much rather have the Looney route than an overwhelming setback with Tyler Game 1.

quickccc

Reaction score
I’m curious to see if Looney stays as the starting C long term. Obviously Tyler Biadez was drafted as a C, and I still think Connor McGovern could also possibly step in there. IMO, Joe Looney is a good backup OL, but I don’t consider him a long term answer.

Ha Ha CD is an interesting addition. He definitely has some talent but he also been very inconsistent in his career, which is why he has bounced around some. Is he an upgrade? Maybe. But he’s a band aid. He’s not a long term fixture.

Poe and McCoy are also interesting in that were once top shelf players but are getting to age where consistency could be a problem. I like the signings but like Ha Ha, they aren’t here for long.

the only down side is we have age 30+ guys on the majority of our DL unit, these are stopgap band aid, win it all now, approach .
and even with another or two reserves - such as Alden Smith and Crawford,are into their 30 years,. and long term this is a young man's game.

Is the future a 27 yr old Gregory, and to wait and see with Gallimore and Anae. Will Hill even be on the roster this year ?

For now we will bear off game experience and past pro bowl resume, credentials - but quality rotation is gonna play a huge part
to help the 30 yr old guys upfront.

quickccc

Reaction score
Starting Defense - Update

RDE - Griffen
3 Tech - McCoy
1 Tech - Poe
LDE - Dlaw

WLB - Smith
MLB - LVE
SLB - Lee

RCB - Worley
SS - Woods
FS - Clinton Dix
LCB - Diggs

Backups:

RDE - Gregory
3 tech- Gallimore
1 tech - Woods
LDE - A. Smith

WLB - Joe Thomas
MLB - Luke Gifford
SLB - march lillard (even i don't care for ML)

LCB -Brown
SS - Wilson
FS - Awuzie
RCB - lewis

- i wouldn't be surprised if Jourdan Lewis is actually traded before the season, new regime seems to favor big lengthy CBs too
just like Richard regime, and team may want to get Reggie Robinson on the field, more playing time, more on the depth chart
Dunno how they plan to get Robinson work more at - CB or safety.

Plus if we have Awuzie that can play slot as well in a pinch, does that also place Lewis further more back on the depth chart ?
Trading Lewis also gives him more playing time elsewhere and more into another teams long term plans.

ESisback

Reaction score
Upgrades -

Griffin
Poe
McCoy
Overall depth on both lines

Downgrades -

Awuzie at CB1 from Byron Jones

Slight upgrade -

Lamb over Cobb (on RAC)
DLaw (health)
Zeke (conditioning)

Slight downgrades -

Looney from Frederick
Jarwin from Witten (overall, its an upgrade in receiving)

I wonder how much of a downgrade at C. Big Fred wasn’t 100% in 2019, wasn’t around in 2018, and wasn’t a full 100% for the entire 2017 season, so...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Starting Defense - Update

RDE - Griffen
3 Tech - McCoy
1 Tech - Poe
LDE - Dlaw

WLB - Smith
MLB - LVE
SLB - Lee

RCB - Worley
SS - Woods
FS - Clinton Dix
LCB - Diggs

Backups:

RDE - Gregory
3 tech- Gallimore
1 tech - Woods
LDE - A. Smith

WLB - Joe Thomas
MLB - Luke Gifford
SLB - march lillard (even i don't care for ML)

LCB -Brown
SS - Wilson
FS - Awuzie
RCB - lewis

- i wouldn't be surprised if Jourdan Lewis is actually traded before the season, new regime seems to favor big lengthy CBs too
just like Richard regime, and team may want to get Reggie Robinson on the field, more playing time, more on the depth chart
Dunno how they plan to get Robinson work more at - CB or safety.

Plus if we have Awuzie that can play slot as well in a pinch, does that also place Lewis further more back on the depth chart ?
Trading Lewis also gives him more playing time elsewhere and more into another teams long term plans.
The depth situation with our LBs is a concern. All 3 of our starting LBs are talented but they also have injury histories. Other than Joe Thomas, I don’t have a ton of confidence in our backups. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us pick up an additional veteran before the season starts.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Times team QB sacked per game

2018- 3.2 (26th best in the league)

*insert Frederick*

2019- 1.4 (tied for best in the league)

I agree in general but there were a lot of reasons that the 2018 OL was a trainwreck - Smith and Martin played through serious injuries, Williams was a rookie and in the second half of the season opponents took the Sua-Filo Expressway to Prescott.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Adjusted line yards(measures run blocking)

2018- 4.61 (8th in the league)

*insert Frederick*

2019- 4.91 (2nd in the league, .01 behind New Orleans who were first)

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I agree in general but there were a lot of reasons that the 2018 OL was a trainwreck - Smith and Martin played through serious injuries, Williams was a rookie and in the second half of the season opponents took the Sua-Filo Expressway to Prescott.

The difference is not solely getting Fred back, but it was a big part too.

Smith and Martin were also better in 2018 than they were in 2019 though. Collins however was much better in 2019. XSF was a train wreck.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why do people keep ignoring the fact that williams had a major injury late in the year and most likely will not be ready for the start of the year. I wouldnt be suprised to see him get pup'd and miss the first 6 games because they will need the roster spot for the other lineman.

He was not PUP'd. He can only go on injured reserve. He apparently did not fail his opening physical or they would have put him on the PUP list. Instead, they seem to be being conservative with him since he's coming off surgery.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Kaiser, you said slight downgrade from Fred to Looney

Where do you rank Travis last year among C's, and where do you anticipate Looney to place this upcoming season?
I'll help answer. Fred's play probably put him in the middle of the pack among centers. Looney will probably be outside the 32 like he was last time he played the whole season

calicowboy54

Reaction score

Jon Machota posted what appears to be our projected starters at the beginning of the season. Looks like we have several upgrades. Like the addition of Everson Griffin is certainly an upgrade. Will Cedee Lamb be an upgrade over Cobb? Probably in a year, but not at first.

Anyway, it’s a very good looking set of starters.

IMO:
Definite Upgrade: DT, DE (additions of Poe, McCoy and Griffin)
Possible Upgrade: TE, Slot receiver (Lamb), S (Clinton-Dix)
Probable Downgrade: C (Hopefully not for long)

Anyway, looking at the starters this year, where have we upgraded and where have we possibly downgraded in your estimation?

On paper we look great, but a great man once said "Looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane" - Bill Parcells on someone I think it was bobby Carpentier

Praxit

Reaction score
..with the talent on paper, I see MAX 2 yr window to make the Big Dance. After that, most will be gone in age and contract.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Best front 4 DL in the league... Lawrence DE, Poe DT, McCoy DT, Griffen DE