Projected starters and where we have upgraded

rags747

Reaction score
I’m thinking Williams will be the weak link with his surgical knee and all. Almost rather have Conner there.

quickccc

Reaction score
The depth situation with our LBs is a concern. All 3 of our starting LBs are talented but they also have injury histories. Other than Joe Thomas, I don’t have a ton of confidence in our backups. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us pick up an additional veteran before the season starts.

it's a major concern imo,..and March Lillard is trash vs run and pass, he's clearly seen as a special teamer but
gives us nothing as an immediate reserve.
Joe thomas has experience but he's always hurt too. ..

But mysteriously we brought very little to no LBs reserves into camp other than Francis Bernard.
Maybe there will be some workings with a vet in the final NFL cuts before the season?

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Backup quarterback, third wide receiver, pass rush (now) and hopefully the suckandary.

MikeB80

Reaction score
He was not PUP'd. He can only go on injured reserve. He apparently did not fail his opening physical or they would have put him on the PUP list. Instead, they seem to be being conservative with him since he's coming off surgery.

yea i wasnt sure if they had to designate pup players yet with this weird format for camp.

Mccarthy said yesterday he is not ready yet.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Jon Machota posted what appears to be our projected starters at the beginning of the season. Looks like we have several upgrades. Like the addition of Everson Griffin is certainly an upgrade. Will Cedee Lamb be an upgrade over Cobb? Probably in a year, but not at first.

Anyway, it’s a very good looking set of starters.

IMO:
Definite Upgrade: DT, DE (additions of Poe, McCoy and Griffin)
Possible Upgrade: TE, Slot receiver (Lamb), S (Clinton-Dix)
Probable Downgrade: C (Hopefully not for long)

Anyway, looking at the starters this year, where have we upgraded and where have we possibly downgraded in your estimation?

3WR as our base is expected. I expect that Jarwin gives up a bunch of snaps on 1st and 2nd down to Pollard, maybe the FB, but is there on 3rd down.

I expect McGovern will give Williams a run for LG, with Williams still not full speed after his knee surgery.

Jarwin > Witten
Pollard2020 > Pollard 2019
Lamb > Cobb
Cobb was very good the back half of 2019, a disaster the front half. Maybe after the disaster, teams worried about him less. Lamb should get more respect than Cobb, and be a much bigger threat with the ball in his hands. Tough row to hoe for defenses to deal with Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, and Lamb. Gotta think he starts the season as the 4th threat on the field, and that's too low for a guy considered a Top 10 talent.
And wow, life should be a breeze for Jarwin as the 5th threat on the field.

Defense
Better: Dix, Poe, maybe McCoy
Best 1T depth since ever.

LVE2020 >> LVE2019 if his neck holds up.
He was never healthy all last year. Vertigo and then out with the neck.

Could use some young LB stepping up. Hope they use Lee at WLB when they go 3 LB. LVE at MLB is just better. Like him better there, like Jaylon better on the edge.

Losing Byron is a big knock, but the DB depth is spread around is pretty good. Young guys getting better, adding Diggs and Dix. I prefer balance in the secondary over one really good guy and holes.

Jaylon? Don't know. He looked ever more feeble as the season wore on. If that was a passing thing, and he's more like 2018, he's much better. If the decline continues, he's much worse.

Lawrence gave us 0.5 sacks in the last 8 games. His overall season numbers were down too. And that was with a legitimate pass rush threat opposite him, and getting almost as much double teaming as he did. Will Lawrence be that 0.5 guy, or back to a double digit sack guy? I'm more hopeful he'll bounce back than Jaylon.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Offensive downgrades at depth:
WR

Defensive upgradds at starting position:
S
RDE

No defensive downgrades at depth positions

I don't see a downgrade at depth at WR. Cobb swapped for Lamb, upgrade. If we use Smith, that's a big upgrade over not using him last year. Refusing to use Smith was an infuriating mystery last year. Showed up in preseason. Showed up in games with a 137 QB rating when targeted. What is a guy supposed to do to get on the field? Wilson should only be better. Other young guys, only better. We're just better at WR. Maybe tons.

Defensive downgrade
At pass rush DT compared to Bennett until someone shows up besides McCoy. Maybe Crawford. Pass rush DT is where we're hurting. Need Hill or Gallimore to show up in a big way.

Defensive upgrade
Starter at 1T with Poe, thereby at backup 1T too with Woods.
Best 1T depth since ever, and that's not even counting Gallimore, who I see as a 1T too. Jumbo short yardage should get much better. Me likey. It's been a weakness for years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yea i wasnt sure if they had to designate pup players yet with this weird format for camp.

Mccarthy said yesterday he is not ready yet.

Crawford and Poe were put on PUP at the start of camp, so the designated time is past.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
[
-Dix)
Probable Downgrade: C (Hopefully not for long)

Probably worse at C the whole season.

Frederick's personal play started rough last year, but got better as the season went on. But we're going to miss his line calls, maybe for years to come. Certainly no one this year will be making line calls better than he did last year. Williams noted how much Frederick helped last year. That's in comparison to Looney the previous year, who's our veteran starter this year. Maybe someday Biadasz can be comparable. Maybe. But certainly not this year.

Frederick is the Sean Lee freak of a guy who understands the game. That's a bullet we're taking for a while.

DanA

Reaction score
For me
Big upgrades
  • Coaching staff
  • DE
  • DT
  • D-line depth
  • Kicker
  • QB depth
Small Upgrades
  • Safety
  • CB depth
  • SWR
  • O-line depth
Big Downgrade
  • CB
  • OC
Small downgrade
  • WR depth
  • FB
We should see some organic improvement from a healthy Lawrence and LVE as well but that might be offset with future injuries.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good post. I think Jarwin will be a surprise and be an upgrade over the “2019” Witten.

Play for play, I'll take Jarwin's play last year over Witten's.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't look a *lot* better this year. He'll have the advantage of Lamb on the field. Jarwin will be the 5th threat on the field. He'll have an easy row to hoe to improve over last year. Maybe not a huge amount of touches, but extremely productive when he gets them.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m curious to see if Looney stays as the starting C long term. Obviously Tyler Biadez was drafted as a C, and I still think Connor McGovern could also possibly step in there. IMO, Joe Looney is a good backup OL, but I don’t consider him a long term answer.

Ha Ha CD is an interesting addition. He definitely has some talent but he also been very inconsistent in his career, which is why he has bounced around some. Is he an upgrade? Maybe. But he’s a band aid. He’s not a long term fixture.

Poe and McCoy are also interesting in that were once top shelf players but are getting to age where consistency could be a problem. I like the signings but like Ha Ha, they aren’t here for long.

Looney played fantastic at Center the year he started. Never missed a beat. When he was inserted at Guard for a spell he was throwing guys like rag dolls. I think we are in good hands.