Projecting Dak's New Deal

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Been saying all alone, I expect his deal to come in around $25M. What's interesting is 2-3 years from now, his deal could actually be a bargain based on the early projection of Goff, Wilson and Mahomes deals. Word is either one could sign deals close to $40M per year within the next couple years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice article, mainly because it supports my wanting to let him go through his final contract year but Pandora's Box has been opened. That would also be a benefit if Garret is fired to have a HC come in without being tied to a QB he might not prefer.

But, unlike a lot of first contract QB's, he has been a tremendous bargain and been vastly underpaid so to make this easier to justify, I will amortize the entire deal including his first three seasons, which is one of the best QB deals of all time.

Part of my reason for wanting him to play it out is to keep options open for a very good QB class in 2020 but unless the wheels come off, they would have to give up a lot of draft collateral to get a shot at Herbert or Tua. I just hope the wheels don't come off because of the QB and he's already got his deal in place.

I am already in that this is going to happen regardless of my desire so just get it done and let's move on. The sooner it gets done, the sooner we can go to war in this forum and hopefully get that behind us. Wait, sorry, lost my mind there for a second, this will never go away. Hell, Romo's gone two seasons and still gets his space here.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Been saying all alone, I expect his deal to come in around $25M. What's interesting is 2-3 years from now, his deal could actually be a bargain based on the early projection of Goff, Wilson and Mahomes deals. Word is either one could sign deals close to $40M per year within the next couple years.
They are already getting paid 30 million. If he will sign 20-25 then do it. JJ is sold on him being the future so he ain’t going anywhere.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The article is about market value.....which is what Ive been saying the whole time. Dak's agent should leave the room if JJ and SJ start with anything less than 25 mil.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are already getting paid 30 million. If he will sign 20-25 then do it. JJ is sold on him being the future so he ain’t going anywhere.
I wonder if Booger will come with that lame excuse he used on Romo's last contract, "he will play better because he's getting paid better". Even in the private sector, people work harder to achieve the raise than to justify it.

This is one of those situations where we have to ask ourselves 'what are the options'? The real options. I will agree that Herbert and Tua are better prospects for the future than Prescott is right now but what is the reality of having a shot at either one without selling the farm? The contest to land one of them will be heated, only surpassed by the one for Lawrence.

The Cowboys might do better than Prescott but they could do a lot worse and have in the past. Hopefully, they realize he is not that Tier 1 guy to raise the level of play around him, he needs help and they get it for him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if Booger will come with that lame excuse he used on Romo's last contract, "he will play better because he's getting paid better". Even in the private sector, people work harder to achieve the raise than to justify it.

This is one of those situations where we have to ask ourselves 'what are the options'? The real options. I will agree that Herbert and Tua are better prospects for the future than Prescott is right now but what is the reality of having a shot at either one without selling the farm? The contest to land one of them will be heated, only surpassed by the one for Lawrence.

The Cowboys might do better than Prescott but they could do a lot worse and have in the past. Hopefully, they realize he is not that Tier 1 guy to raise the level of play around him, he needs help and they get it for him.

The options are either being financially committed to a mediocre QB at top cap eating dollars for the next 6 or 7 years or not.

And "we might do worse" is a really bad case to make when determining your future at QB. At any position, really, but especially at QB where the stakes are the highest.

Let the Bengals worry about doing worse. We're the Cowboys. We want to do best.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Hell, imagine having our starting QB locked ( 5-6 year deal) up in $25M range 2-3 years from now when starting QBs could very be getting $35M and elites $40M+.

Legend

Reaction score
If this is allowed,

6 year $100M (fixed) + up to $10M in annual performance incentives (variable)

J12B

Reaction score
Yeah, lock him up at $22.5 million per year average.

That isn't breaking the bank, considering the way the salary cap has grown over the last 5 years.

6 year $130 million/$67 million guaranteed.

It is for certain he will be the QB next season and nearly certain for 2020. Just pay him so that we can solidify the position and if it doesn't work out, we cut him after 2021. If it does, we have him on a bargain contract for the next 3 seasons after that.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If we over pay it could set us back 5-10 years, obviously because there won’t be much left to build the rest of the team...

LOL......as opposed to letting him walk and ruining the team?

Maybe you didn't notice the cap room we have accumulated JUST for this EXACT thing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

That isn't breaking the bank, considering the way the salary cap has grown over the last 5 years.

6 year $130 million/$67 million guaranteed

22 wont get it done unfortunately.

Legend

Reaction score

6 year $130 million/$67 million guaranteed.

It is for certain he will be the QB next season and nearly certain for 2020. Just pay him so that we can solidify the position and if it doesn't work out, we cut him in 2021. If it does, we have him on a bargain contract for the next 3 seasons after that.
That is a good deal as well.

Legend

Reaction score
22 wont get it done unfortunately.
If he wants more than $22M a year, I would wait to see how he performs during the upcoming season against stiffer competition.

If he performs well, then $25M a year is ok. If he regresses then he may have to take $20M a year.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bear with me for just a moment... two things I took away from the article are, first, Dak will receive market value for his next contract -- which, whether you believe Dak is the "Chosen One" or not, is likely a top 5 contract for QBs -- and, second, there is no absolute right or wrong thing to do with regard to Dak.

In essence, the decisions to extend Dak now, extend him later, franchise tag him or let him walk is a glorified version of option theory. To a large degree, it depends upon your view of the future and, aside from Dak's future performance, the single biggest unknown -- Garrett and the HC position. The good news is that the team does have options... as fans, we may not like the options.

I would suggest, though, that despite JJ's very public pronouncements about extending Dak, the FO is probably spent a long time discussing these options. Ideally, it would be best if a dispassionate 3rd party developed the option value for each of the aforementioned options.

I have seen a lot of malpractice when it comes to option theory and it generally stems from either being emotionally attached to one course of action ("Dak is our franchise QB") or a lack of data.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Good article and I would go with Plan B as I said all along. Let him play out his final year of his contract and if he improves in the areas he needs to, than reward him. If not, than the 2020 Qb class has some good ones to draft.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
If he wants more than $22M a year, I would wait to see how he performs during the upcoming season against stiffer competition.

If he performs well, then $25M a year is ok. If he regresses then he may have to take $20M a year.

I like this take. As of right now, 22.5 (MAX) mil is a good amount and Dak has played well enough (in my opinion) to have this number. Like Legend has stated, if he doesn't want to do that, let him play the 2019 season and if he steps up, go ahead and give him 25 milly. If not, ask him again for around 20-23 million and if he doesn't want to take it? Unfortunately, I'd let him go.

But we all know Jerry loves Dak for some reason so he won't let him get away.

John813

Reaction score
Unless he bombs this year, he's going to be on the team in 2020. Via a new deal or franchise tag.
You simply don't let a QB like him walk away for a comp pick.
And it's not like he's entering year 3 of a franchise tag cap hit.

If they can't agree on a deal this year then they still have another 2 years of the Tag if needed be.