Proud of Defensive Effort / Jaylon Smith Must Go

mardwin

Reaction score
Smith played like crap but to be fair the defense only allowed 17 points. Giving up 17 points should be enough to win some games in the NFL.

Reactions: JPM

Sydla

Reaction score
You can argue the scheme but Smith has individual deficiencies that are individually his own: he’s useless trying to tackle in space; is a moth to flame in play-action; does not take on blocks and disrupt running lanes, et cetera.

He could tackle better in space last year. He was more active last year. He was better at taking on blocks (granted, not great) last year.

Why has he regressed? I'd be more inclined to just take your position and say he sucks but then I see LVE regressed and frankly wasn't any better than Smith before he got hurt and LB play overall regressed this year. Why?

Maybe Smith does blow. I'd rather see him with a different DC before I just chuck him on the garbage heap. I'd like to see a lot of our players with a different coaching staff before I conclude much of anything.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He could tackle better in space last year. He was more active last year. He was better at taking on blocks (granted, not great) last year.

Why has he regressed? I'd be more inclined to just take your position and say he sucks but then I see LVE regressed and frankly wasn't any better than Smith before he got hurt and LB play overall regressed this year. Why?

Maybe Smith does blow. I'd rather see him with a different DC before I just chuck him on the garbage heap. I'd like to see a lot of our players with a different coaching staff before I conclude much of anything.

So scheme causes him to miss tackles?

I’ve heard it all now. There comes a point where scheme is irrelevant. Rather, it’s just football. Tackling is just football.

This is from 2018 BTW... (freakin’ Marenelli right?)

Sydla

Reaction score
So scheme causes him to miss tackles?

I’ve heard it all now. There comes a point where scheme is irrelevant. Rather, it’s just football. Tackling is just football.

This is from 2018 BTW... (freakin’ Marenelli right?)

Why was LVE missing tackles too this year? Are you suggesting he's a fraud as well?

Again, you might be right. Smith may be a horrible LB. But he wasn't horrible last year. He was actually pretty good. He, like all the other LBs, seem to have seen their play drop off this year. Why? Just a coincidence?

Sydla

Reaction score
Are you suggesting LVE misses tackles because of scheme?

I am suggesting that when you have players playing out of position or playing in an inferior scheme, their level of play across the board can suffer.

They lose focus, they play lazily at times, etc.

I am completely open to the possibility Smith may be a terrible LB. But I am trying to process how he (and the other LBs) were so good last year and then this year, LB play dropped off the cliff with loads of missed tackles, poor coverage, etc. How is it that it's an across the board regression? Are they all overrated?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
It's the coaches job to put guys in places that maximizes their strengths and avoids/hides their weaknesses from being exposed. In my opinion, Jaylon's health did not regress and he's the same guy that he was last year when he was a beast in the making. This coaching staff has turned this team of men into a bunch of powderpuffs. F this country club environment. Most of these guys still struggle to make the right life choices and this culture is setting them all up for failure post-football.

Yes... culture ultimately is the coaches’ responsibility.

But effort, hard work, professional pride in their performance— that is intrinsic and certainly can be taught as a value— but leaning into it and living it out is up to the player

Jaylon changed the minute he got paid. That is on him. Regardless of what coaches do or do not do— he needs to do his job and play with physicality and ferocity

Think about Ray Lewis. Would he EVER do anything that Jaylon does on or off the field? How Jaylon approaches the game and plays the game is on him

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Why was LVE missing tackles too this year? Are you suggesting he's a fraud as well?

Again, you might be right. Smith may be a horrible LB. But he wasn't horrible last year. He was actually pretty good. He, like all the other LBs, seem to have seen their play drop off this year. Why? Just a coincidence?

Defensive Tackles are weak, need to upgrade that position ASAP.

starman22

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ this. Thank you. You could also add the packers and vikings games too. The cowboys defense has had its share of stinkers. They faced two Depleted offenses this season in the eagles and patriots and failed to do anything remotely effectual. I'm so sick of the defense getting a pass

I hardly think the defense has gotten a pass. It is more likely that they have been terrible for so long that it is just accepted.

I can not wait to see new coaches on the sideline, particularly that side of the ball.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I am suggesting that when you have players playing out of position or playing in an inferior scheme, their level of play across the board can suffer.

They lose focus, they play lazily at times, etc.

I am completely open to the possibility Smith may be a terrible LB. But I am trying to process how he (and the other LBs) were so good last year and then this year, LB play dropped off the cliff with loads of missed tackles, poor coverage, etc. How is it that it's an across the board regression? Are they all overrated?

Wasn't it the same inferior scheme that both excelled in last year?

Either way, it wasn't all roses and rainbows last year for Jaylon.

I was critical of his play at times last year too, as some of the issues I've harped on last year were apparent then too. I tempered my comments last year because I presumed some of the issues would just a byproduct of getting his legs under him, playing at a professional level, and just experience in the scheme. I expected he would continue to evolve as a player and that the best was in front of him (moving forward into this season). His regression has been dramatic and the concerns in my eyes are with football fundamentals, especially at the linebacker position: instincts, physicality, and tackling.

Here's an honest question. When was the last time you saw Jaylon make a play that was predicated on instincts or anticipation (e.g. blowing up a screen play before it has time to develop)? Most, if not all, of his signature plays are made in pursuit, using his athleticism running from point A to B.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’ll preface this by saying the offense was at fault for the loss last night.

But I am sick and tired of a defense that doesn’t get turnovers. Sick and tired of it.

I couldn’t care less about their “effort” last night. They were playing a practice squad offense. They should
Have held them to that many points.

they also should have gotten more sacks and a turnover or two.

I think the loss was a total team effort:

The punter sucks, offense couldn't finish drives, and the defense gave up over 400 yards to a practice squad WR corp and of course couldn't turn the ball over. The only reason it was 17 is because Sanders chose to fall down and run out the clock.

The coaching speaks for itself.

Wood

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I was proud of the defensive effort from the majority of the team. Most of the guys fought super hard and were laying it all out on the line for the win. Some guys that I have been low on before such as Heath, Jones and Woods were really selling out. Lee was awesome. Lawrence and Quinn and Lewis all great. These guys really wanted to win and it showed.

I feel badly that they were let down by the coaching staff and the front office who thoughtlessly make them play with what is essentially 10 men on the field by leaving Jaylon Smith out there for 100% of the defensive plays. His level of play and physical presence is honestly the worst I have ever seen. His teammates must hate him at this point. I can't imagine what the room is like when they go over the film. Every single play is mind blowing.

Jaylon contract is un-tradeable. I thought that signing bordered on incompetence considering it was completely unnecessary and was only to prove a point to RB who was holding out. That's exactly how you don't run an organization.

superonyx

Reaction score
It is bewildering to me... Jaylon was a consensus top 5 pick if he was healthy

He was touted as this instinctual, athletic freak of a LBer. His second year with Dallas he was making plays all over the field with LVE.

This year? It’s like he has turned into a soft, selfish, fundamentally unsound player that seems to care more about his businesses and brands off the field

Most disappointing player in 2019 for me.
Dont fall into this trap. This is what angry fans always do. They want to vilify a player so they start convincing themselves that the player somehow doesnt care or have quit or is lazy or selfish. This is a reactionary view to try to make sense of things we can't understand.

Almost any player that makes it to this level is proud. These men have their entire high school, college friends, family members watching them on national tv. They care way more than you could imagine caring about anything. When a talented young player suddenly looks like he has regressed the answer is typically in the situation they are put in. The play calling, the defensive scheme, the lack of talent at DT, the offenses tape showing areas of weakness in the scheme.

Jalen, Zeke, Cooper all these types do not suddenly suck. A new coaching staff, new scheme, new culture and a slice of humble pie could easily turn this around and suddenly these guys become what we thought they were.

Jaylon doesnt suck. Our teams play does though.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

He posted this nonsense and got like 100% negative responses from fans.

He’s clueless

superonyx

Reaction score

The worst LB in football would exceed 2 tackles for losses if they were put into the position to make these plays.
The fact that our entire team doesnt have many INT's doesnt mean they can't do it. It means they are not being put into position to do it.

Coaching and scheme is what allows talent to shine. Lack of coaching and a poor scheme causes talent to look like garbage.
At this level success and failure is as much about winning the mental battles than it is the physical battles. Our coaches on both sides of the ball are the types that expect the players to win all the physical match-ups because the coaches cant win the mental ones.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I was proud of the defensive effort from the majority of the team. Most of the guys fought super hard and were laying it all out on the line for the win. Some guys that I have been low on before such as Heath, Jones and Woods were really selling out. Lee was awesome. Lawrence and Quinn and Lewis all great. These guys really wanted to win and it showed.

I feel badly that they were let down by the coaching staff and the front office who thoughtlessly make them play with what is essentially 10 men on the field by leaving Jaylon Smith out there for 100% of the defensive plays. His level of play and physical presence is honestly the worst I have ever seen. His teammates must hate him at this point. I can't imagine what the room is like when they go over the film. Every single play is mind blowing.
Clear Eye View