Proud of Defensive Effort / Jaylon Smith Must Go

Wapp5200

Reaction score
I’ll preface this by saying the offense was at fault for the loss last night.

But I am sick and tired of a defense that doesn’t get turnovers. Sick and tired of it.

I couldn’t care less about their “effort” last night. They were playing a practice squad offense. They should
Have held them to that many points.

they also should have gotten more sacks and a turnover or two.
Id bet we are almost last in the league in Sacks and interceptions...all these big nane players with minimal effort. Its just old. New coach needed and Jerry Jones needs to stay in his box and stop trying to call the shots.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
They fixed his legs, now they gotta fix his arms so he can wrap up and tackle.

Then they need to fix his heart to give him courage

Then they need to fix his head to let him recognize plays and take proper angles

Then they need to fix his spirit so he can put team first over individual branding

superonyx

Reaction score
Wentz was 31/40 for 320 and no turnovers. The defense sucked. The eagles offense is down to practice squad players at the skill positions and they still carved them up. Ertz missed half the game as well. Yes they only have up 17 but against that depleted team u should be forcing three and outs throughout the game.
This was on the coaches. We sat in zone and let the Wentz complete 25 out of 31 passes to RB's and TE's. They have done this for 3 straight weeks and it seemed like our coaches didn't do what a good staff would do. Make them beat you with what they are the worst at......throwing to the WR's.

This is on the coaching staff. Only a few times I saw Byron Jones move inside to cover Ertz. Just a poor showing.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The worst LB in football would exceed 2 tackles for losses if they were put into the position to make these plays.
The fact that our entire team doesnt have many INT's doesnt mean they can't do it. It means they are not being put into position to do it.

Coaching and scheme is what allows talent to shine. Lack of coaching and a poor scheme causes talent to look like garbage.
At this level success and failure is as much about winning the mental battles than it is the physical battles. Our coaches on both sides of the ball are the types that expect the players to win all the physical match-ups because the coaches cant win the mental ones.
I can buy whatcha selling but I’m also putting some blame on the players.

I think it’s a mixture of both coaching and players

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You can argue the scheme but Smith has individual deficiencies that are individually his own: he’s useless trying to tackle in space; is a moth to flame in play-action; does not take on blocks and disrupt running lanes, et cetera.

AKA, he isn't a middle linebacker.

scottsp

Reaction score
Yeah, I especially applaud the awareness and ball skills of Chidobe Awuzie. Because it's asking a lot to slow down practice squad wideouts like that. And he's certainly not alone but I couldn't resist.

As for Jaylon, asking him to perform as a mike backer, to quickly read/diagnose action out of the classic LB squat, seems like a complete misallocation of his talent. This is not what he did at Notre Dame and not how he came to be so highly coveted by NFL clubs. He's a downhill backer who can also play with leverage, who should probably be playing more off the edge in our alignments.

Not that I would dare question this organization's ability to manage personnel or anything. Never.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Yeah, I especially applaud the awareness and ball skills of Chidobe Awuzie. Because it's asking a lot to slow down practice squad wideouts like that. And he's certainly not alone but I couldn't resist.

As for Jaylon, asking him to perform as a mike backer, to quickly read/diagnose action out of the classic LB squat, seems like a complete misallocation of his talent. This is not what he did at Notre Dame and not how he came to be so highly coveted by NFL clubs. He's a downhill backer who can also play with leverage, who should probably be playing more off the edge in our alignments.

Not that I would dare question this organization's ability to manage personnel or anything. Never.
I can buy some of that. Good post. Food for thought

CB61

Reaction score
There was one play he overan one play by so far I started laughing I couldn't help myself I just started laughing and I was not happy at that point I couldn't do anything but laugh my *** off that's what a joke this team has become

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
There was one play he overan one play by so far I started laughing I couldn't help myself I just started laughing and I was not happy at that point I couldn't do anything but laugh my *** off that's what a joke this team has become
I think he does it on purpose. Over run stuff so he doesn’t have to tackle

CB61

Reaction score
I think he does it on purpose. Over run stuff so he doesn’t have to tackle
Thanks that got me laughing again I wouldn't doubt it see there it is Jerry gives him a big contract and he goes to s*** just like every other person he gets a big contract to

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
You guys are insufferable.

The guy is seventh in the entire league in tackles.
No one ahead of him on the list has more forced fumbles and only Bobby Wagner ahead of him has more sacks( 1/2 sack more).

But apparently he never makes any tackles and avoids all contact.

so that must mean he’d had about 250 tackles if he “actually tried”

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dont fall into this trap. This is what angry fans always do. They want to vilify a player so they start convincing themselves that the player somehow doesnt care or have quit or is lazy or selfish. This is a reactionary view to try to make sense of things we can't understand.

Almost any player that makes it to this level is proud. These men have their entire high school, college friends, family members watching them on national tv. They care way more than you could imagine caring about anything. When a talented young player suddenly looks like he has regressed the answer is typically in the situation they are put in. The play calling, the defensive scheme, the lack of talent at DT, the offenses tape showing areas of weakness in the scheme.

Jalen, Zeke, Cooper all these types do not suddenly suck. A new coaching staff, new scheme, new culture and a slice of humble pie could easily turn this around and suddenly these guys become what we thought they were.

Jaylon doesnt suck. Our teams play does though.

And you’ve fallen into the trap of utilizing a tired and oversimplified excuse to absolve Smith (or any player) of individual blame trotting out the “it’s the scheme” theory.

I didn’t even include the one where Jaylon is just getting completely washed out on a run play without even putting a semblance of a fight up.

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
And you’ve fallen into the trap of utilizing a tired and oversimplified excuse to absolve Smith (or any player) of individual blame trotting out the “it’s the scheme” theory.

I didn’t even include the one where Jaylon is just getting completely washed out on a run play without even putting a semblance of a fight up.

giphy.gif

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dont fall into this trap. This is what angry fans always do. They want to vilify a player so they start convincing themselves that the player somehow doesnt care or have quit or is lazy or selfish. This is a reactionary view to try to make sense of things we can't understand.

Almost any player that makes it to this level is proud. These men have their entire high school, college friends, family members watching them on national tv. They care way more than you could imagine caring about anything. When a talented young player suddenly looks like he has regressed the answer is typically in the situation they are put in. The play calling, the defensive scheme, the lack of talent at DT, the offenses tape showing areas of weakness in the scheme.

Jalen, Zeke, Cooper all these types do not suddenly suck. A new coaching staff, new scheme, new culture and a slice of humble pie could easily turn this around and suddenly these guys become what we thought they were.

Jaylon doesnt suck. Our teams play does though.

Plenty of players did not play up to their potential like Jaylon did this year... but not all of them were on twitter asking for pro bowl votes.

Not all of them were swiping and celebrating when we were losing to Chicago.

Jaylon is a liability and is hurting his team. Last year, in the same scheme, with the same coaches, he played much better.

Is it possible that a young, twenty something year old man who just signed for millions of dollars— MIGHT just struggle with priorities? He MAY perhaps lose focus while enjoying his new found success?

I don’t know what is in the man’s heart... but actions speak louder than words. Starting a business on the side and promoting it incessantly, regressing on the field all the while clamoring for pro bowl votes just paints the wrong picture when your team is struggling, and you are personally playing poorly

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Plenty of players did not play up to their potential like Jaylon did this year... but not all of them were on twitter asking for pro bowl votes.

Not all of them were swiping and celebrating when we were losing to Chicago.

Jaylon is a liability and is hurting his team. Last year, in the same scheme, with the same coaches, he played much better.

Is it possible that a young, twenty something year old man who just signed for millions of dollars— MIGHT just struggle with priorities? He MAY perhaps lose focus while enjoying his new found success?

I don’t know what is in the man’s heart... but actions speak louder than words. Starting a business on the side and promoting it incessantly, regressing on the field all the while clamoring for pro bowl votes just paints the wrong picture when your team is struggling, and you are personally playing poorly