Punt Returner

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin and Beasley were the only players that returned Punts in 2018.

Beasley is obvious gone.

With Austin's injury history, they have to find a second Punt Returner.

College Return Stats
(#, yards, avg, TDs)
Reggie Davis
KR 47, 998, 21.2, 0
PR 34, 251, 7.4, 1
Cedrick Wilson
KR 31, 742, 23.9, 0
PR 10, 132, 13.2, 0
Tony Pollard
KR 87, 2616, 30.1, 7
PR 2, 11, 5.5, 0
Jourdan Lewis
KR 24, 529, 22, 0
PR 2, -1, -0.5, 0
Mike Weber
KR 9, 143, 15.9, 0
PR 0, 0, 0, 0
Devin Smith
KR 13, 240, 18.5, 0
PR 5, 18, 3.6, 0

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cobb appears to want to do it. I would try to limit him to more of the Beasley role, and let Austin be the main returner unless he gets injured.

The main difference is that Cobb will actually be a return threat when he's not forced to fair catch.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Pollard would be my first choice as the backup PR, but you have to think they will give the backup WRs like Jon'Vea Johnson and Reggie Davis a bunch of reps there in training camp to see what they have.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Cobb appears to want to do it. I would try to limit him to more of the Beasley role, and let Austin be the main returner unless he gets injured.

The main difference is that Cobb will actually be a return threat when he's not forced to fair catch.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I thought Austin was a return threat last year, more so than we've had in a while anyway.

Not sure what his stats look like but I seem to recall at least one big one that got called back as well

cern

Reaction score
while it's nice to have an electrifying punt returner, it is more important to me that the punt is not fumbled. that's why bease was our guy. sure hands. Austin has the moves, but fumbles too often on punt returns. cobb was injured last year. prefer he not do it unless it's playoff time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I thought Austin was a return threat last year, more so than we've had in a while anyway.

Not sure what his stats look like but I seem to recall at least one big one that got called back as well

Yes had a long return or a TD called back. After he returned from his injury he did great on PR. And not as bad as a WR either, though most want to rag on him as they usually do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
while it's nice to have an electrifying punt returner, it is more important to me that the punt is not fumbled. that's why bease was our guy. sure hands. Austin has the moves, but fumbles too often on punt returns. cobb was injured last year. prefer he not do it unless it's playoff time.

I do not recall Austin fumbling to even muffing any punts last year.
How about going by that, instead of his previous team, in which he had a wrist injury that nagged him all year. Which is also why McVay did not use him as much in the games as a WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No more Beasley fair catch? lol I like Cole as a slot WR as for a punt returner pretty much fair catch and that was it. I hope to see someone take on the role who can make a bigger impact

cern

Reaction score
I do not recall Austin fumbling to even muffing any punts last year.
How about going by that, instead of his previous team, in which he had a wrist injury that nagged him all year. Which is also why McVay did not use him as much in the games as a WR.
I did a quick fact check. he fumbled 4 times with the rams in 2017 before being stripped of punt return duties. he's fumbled 17 times in a total of 158 punt returns in his career. that 1 fumble every nine punts. not good. doesn't appear he fumbled any for the cowboys. I consider him one of these guys who is always getting injured and missing games.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Cedrick "the entertainer" Wilson to have an impact. But whoever wins the job send the memo to the return team that blocks in the back are illegal. I hate to see an electrifying/good return brought back:mad:

pancakeman

Reaction score

I think that post was drawing a distinction between Cobb and Beas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did a quick fact check. he fumbled 4 times with the rams in 2017 before being stripped of punt return duties. he's fumbled 17 times in a total of 158 punt returns in his career. that 1 fumble every nine punts. not good. doesn't appear he fumbled any for the cowboys. I consider him one of these guys who is always getting injured and missing games.

And those 17 times has been debunked. As most of them were considered muffs. And he recovered those. It is not the same.
Still a lot but not as bad as many want to make it out to be. They act as if he fumbled and lost everyone of them.

He has not had as many injuries either, it was mostly from 2017.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Majority were muffs that he had after he broke his wrist and had a soft cast on it. He doesn't fumble anymore than any other player on punt returns.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yes. I'd want to keep him as the primary returner. Austin's problem in the past with fumbling has had to do with muffs, most likely from taking his eye off the ball. We used Beasley essentially for fair catches on punts deep into our territory, and I think Cobb will take over that role. The only way we'd use Cobb for more is if Austin got hurt.