Punt Returner

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pollard has stats as a kickoff return man but not really much in terms of punt returns. There is a difference in returning kickoffs and punts. I hope if given the chance Pollard can do the job but I would hope we will see someone else competing for the job.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I got it backwards. It seems bizarro. His fumbles came on punts and not on kicks
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tavon-austin-no-fumble-problem-on-offense.406390/

But we had him return returned 10 punts and 0 kicks.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

This one summarizes the problem for Austin - muffing punts.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tavon-austin-no-fumble-problem-on-offense.406390/page-2#post-8199046

I get a lot of things backward.

Clearly, his issue has been muffs, and not just because of his wrist problem in 2017. Despite that, he's a better punt returner than kickoff returner, with three punt returns for TDs in his career, which is why I think we used him in that role.

He's got dynamic ability on punt returns that comes with a tendency to not make sure he first cleanly fields the ball. This is why, I believe, we had Beasley fielding the punts that weren't likely to be returned and why we'll have someone like Cobb do the same this year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
i don't care who does what we just need some players to do something. We have had very little threat in the return game for years. Seems like when we have made a big play its called back for penalty or we can't punch it in from the 5.

Yet all around the league you see teams really benefit from having dynamic return units. There should be more than enough talent on this team to have legit options.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know either with Pollard. I just know that a lot of players have trouble judging punts, then with the footsteps that are near them while fielding the ball.

I don't see Dallas having any problem letting Cobb handle the Beasley role. Beasley only returned 11 punts last year. He was mainly back there for sure hands, with 18 fair catches. Cobb does have some fumbles in his punt return history, but I would think the team would trust his hands more than a rookie or first-year player who hasn't shown his reliability yet. (I don't know with Cobb if his fumbles came while fielding the ball or during the return. He has nine in 156 opportunities. Austin has 17 in 241. So their rates aren't very far apart — every 17 punts fielded for Cobb, every 14 for Austin. Five of Cobb's fumbles came his first two years, though, but he also received a lot more of his opportunities then.)

Maybe it's my own sentiment that I'm overlaying on the team in regards to keeping Cobb healthy.

I would definitely like to see Cobb at "110%" early in the season. As the season progresses some young players should progress as slot options much like Gallup last season (i.e. Pollard, Cedrick Wilson, etc.).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard was too good on kickoffs for them to be saving snaps on him with punts. I bet he has issues with punt returns.

Yes, that would be the most obvious conclusion.

However, they did use other player on KRs but 1 player handled all but 2 PRs.

Pollard did work harder on plays that he didn't touch the ball than most skill position players.
He did a lot of lead blocking for Darrell Henderson.

Memphis Returns 2018:

KR ….. Player
27 .... Tony Pollard
10 .... Darrell Henderson
4 ….. Mechane Slade
3 ….. Tim Hart
3 ….. Jonathan Wilson
2 ….. John Williams
1 ….. Austin Hall
1 ….. Bryce Huff
1 ….. Patrick Taylor Jr.
1 ….. Antonio Gibson
1 ….. Sanchez Blake Jr.

PR ….. Player
29 .... John Williams
1 ….. Damonte Coxie
1 ….. Hunter Hill

jrumann59

Reaction score
I have little faith in Austin's groin. Remember he pulled that off the bone and somehow it healed without surgery!?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe it's my own sentiment that I'm overlaying on the team in regards to keeping Cobb healthy.

I would definitely like to see Cobb at "110%" early in the season. As the season progresses some young players should progress as slot options much like Gallup last season (i.e. Pollard, Cedrick Wilson, etc.).

I can understand the desire not to risk him, but you also want to optimize your value. Cobb received a good chunk of change to be a third receiver. You hope everyone beyond the starters will be able to contribute on special teams. I don't think that's 100 percent necessary because you don't need every non-starter for those roles, but you definitely want to put your best players among the backups out there on special teams. It's always possible someone else will step up and be the best available. The biggest issue is that most players have more of their ball security issues early in their career.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can understand the desire not to risk him, but you also want to optimize your value. Cobb received a good chunk of change to be a third receiver. You hope everyone beyond the starters will be able to contribute on special teams. I don't think that's 100 percent necessary because you don't need every non-starter for those roles, but you definitely want to put your best players among the backups out there on special teams. It's always possible someone else will step up and be the best available. The biggest issue is that most players have more of their ball security issues early in their career.

My guess at this point:
Austin #1 PR
Cobb PR backup on game days.

If Austin not active for a game or games due to injury:
Other Player and Cobb share PR duties.
Similar to:
2015 Punt Returns
19 Lucky Whitehead
12 Beasley​

gimmesix

Reaction score
My guess at this point:
Austin #1 PR
Cobb PR backup on game days.

If Austin not active for a game or games due to injury:
Other Player and Cobb share PR duties.
Similar to:
2015 Punt Returns
19 Lucky Whitehead
12 Beasley​

I see it similarly. Although someone like Pollard or Wilson could end up as the backup, I think it's more likely that we'll only use them back there if forced to because of an injury to Austin. Either would have to just really stand out in the opportunities they receive to move ahead of either Cobb or Austin. Trustworthiness is as big of a factor there as return ability, and it isn't easy to build that up.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he is on the roster then Tavon Austin is, and should be the punt return guy.
He is dynamic.

I am way more concerned with our special teams holding calls, especially when he breaks long gains and they are called back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got it backwards. It seems bizarro. His fumbles came on punts and not on kicks
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tavon-austin-no-fumble-problem-on-offense.406390/

But we had him return returned 10 punts and 0 kicks.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

This one summarizes the problem for Austin - muffing punts.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tavon-austin-no-fumble-problem-on-offense.406390/page-2#post-8199046

He has lost 5 fumbles on Punt Returns.

He had 3 of those in 2017 after having wrist surgery before training camp.

Date …............. Detail
2015-11-22 ….. Muffed catch by Tavon Austin, recovered by C.J. Mosley and returned for no gain
2016-12-24 ….. Tavon Austin fumbles, recovered by Mike Jordan.
2017-09-10 ….. Muffed catch by Tavon Austin, recovered by Jeremiah George and returned for no gain.
2017-09-21 ….. Muffed catch by Tavon Austin, recovered by Kyle Nelson and returned for no gain
2017-10-08 ….. Muffed catch by Tavon Austin, recovered by Neiko Thorpe and returned for no gain

Mr_437

Reaction score
Usually, when a guy as talented as Pollard doesn't have a history of returning punts it's cause he can't field punts good enough.

You "field" punts, yet catch kickoffs...very different circumstances. A punt returner is unique.

Austin's chance to make this team is tied to PR...if Cobb can show well enough to be a backup or Beasely equivalent as a PR'er that's solid, either way. The guy is Cedrick Wilson, if he can show consistantcy... look out. His college average per return is good, but outside of stats he just looks like a natural PR'er when you see him.

Who I got right now:
1) Austin - experience
2) Wilson - inexperience (preseason is huge)
3) Cobb - backup
4) Lewis - emergency depth
5) Pollard - ???

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes, that would be the most obvious conclusion.

However, they did use other player on KRs but 1 player handled all but 2 PRs.

Pollard did work harder on plays that he didn't touch the ball than most skill position players.
He did a lot of lead blocking for Darrell Henderson.

Memphis Returns 2018:

KR ….. Player
27 .... Tony Pollard
10 .... Darrell Henderson
4 ….. Mechane Slade
3 ….. Tim Hart
3 ….. Jonathan Wilson
2 ….. John Williams
1 ….. Austin Hall
1 ….. Bryce Huff
1 ….. Patrick Taylor Jr.
1 ….. Antonio Gibson
1 ….. Sanchez Blake Jr.

PR ….. Player
29 .... John Williams
1 ….. Damonte Coxie
1 ….. Hunter Hill

How good was Williams on punt returns?

That would be the college ceiling for Pollard on punt returns.

robjay04

Reaction score
We had a return man that actually scored but everybody was so happy we traded him for a DL that didn't even make the team.

I don’t recall people being overwhelming happy but maybe I’m wrong.

He was basically traded for Austin indirectly. The team didn’t have room for both of them or at least they think they didn’t

Austin has far more upside though if he can stay on the field.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don’t recall people being overwhelming happy but maybe I’m wrong.

He was basically traded for Austin indirectly. The team didn’t have room for both of them or at least they think they didn’t

Austin has far more upside though if he can stay on the field.
Austin is faster I will give you that but Switzer has the higher potential. Not only that but Switzer is tough and stays in the field without getting injured. Also yes tons of cowboy fans were happy he was traded. As far as no room for him, that's nonsense. We kept 7 receivers in the roster, Switzer would have contributed more than Lenior or Brown or Thompson or Hurns or any receiver not named Cooper(after we traded for him) or Gallup/Beasley. Plus he is a threat in the return game and played special teams.

robjay04

Reaction score
Austin is faster I will give you that but Switzer has the higher potential. Not only that but Switzer is tough and stays in the field without getting injured. Also yes tons of cowboy fans were happy he was traded. As far as no room for him, that's nonsense. We kept 7 receivers in the roster, Switzer would have contributed more than Lenior or Brown or Thompson or Hurns or any receiver not named Cooper(after we traded for him) or Gallup/Beasley. Plus he is a threat in the return game and played special teams.

Nah I don’t agree Switzer has higher potential. Austin is a better player if both are healthy..you may be right on the availability part though.

Lenoir or Brown were not on the active roster week one.

Only 5 receivers...Cole, Williams, Hurns, Gallup and Austin. The team valued the experience of the first 3, Gallup was a 3rd round pick and they thought Austin was a more dynamic player. No reason to believe Switzer would’ve made the team over those guys.

Regardless..the team was wrong but you can see what they were thinking.