Put your Cards on the Table

ccb04

Reaction score
With the exception of possibly ET (and not at 15 mil), I didn't expect them to be active in the initial flurry.

Aside from Thomas, would look to sign some of the players I've previously mentioned...guys like
DT Darius Philon, DT Malcolm Brown, S Adrian Phillips, DE Okafor, etc.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My frustration has zero to do with the lack of FA signings. In fact, I’m glad to see this team not foolishly overpay like so many teams do on day one.

My frustration with this FO is their laziness in being aggressive about putting a complete organizational top to bottom effort to put a championship team on the field. I don’t expect a bunch of FA signings or aggressive trades. BUT- I do expect to see these things from this owner and FO:

1. Hire the best HC and coaching staff that can move this team forward and have better prep and in-game adjustments. Garrett has proven he’s not that coach.

2. Show a commitment to a clear plan to build a team. Look at the desperate trade last fall to get Amari Cooper. That happened because this FO had to admit their “plan” at WR was a complete failure.

3. Show a strong work ethic. This GM flaunts the fact that he doesn’t watch film, doesn’t do the normal work a GM does. Jerry and Stephen have no shame in promoting a concert or prize fight while the season is going on, or have no problem partying in the Bahamas during key moments in the offseason. I don’t know how lazy they are, but they are clearly brazen.

4. Show a sense of urgency to win.
I’m constantly told by many Cowboys fans that I should lower my expectations because of Jerry and his crazy ways. That explains in a nutshell what I’m sick of of with the Jones Cartel. They have so diluted our fan base’s expectations that in order to remain a fan, expectations should be lowered. That’s unacceptable to me.
Yeah
Jerry should have not been GM
Most GMs out there suck, so that has saved us. But that's for the wrong reason.
McClay has helped at least organize the whole personnel process.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Personally I offer Dak a 23M AAV offer for 5 years with at least 50% guaranteed, and tell him that he takes less to keep the team going. It would still be more than Tom Brady. If he takes it, then wonderful, if not, then he plays another year on his current gig.

I offer DLaw 17.5 AAV 4-5 yrs and with a deadline to decide. If he chooses no, then I look to Ansah, Houston, even Clay Matthews and see which one would take 15-17M for fewer years. Then I move Taco and Crawford to SDE, and use Armstrong and one of these three on the right side, if DLaw didn't accept.

I offer ET 10M AAV for 4 yrs with most front loaded and guaranteed so I could get out of it in 2-3 if need be, but with incentives so he could be the highest paid if he meets these incentives and a deadline to decide. If he declines, then there are other options.

I cut Hurns as he makes way to much when you have Amari and Gallup already. You already have 3-4 youngsters and a draft to pick up more WR talent.
I offer Tavon Austin 3.5M for 2-3 years, and hope he is healthy.

I talk with reps for Suh, Richardson, Jefferson, Ngata, etc till I find one that will work for a couple years and 8M AAV.

Then draft comes with needs at DT, WR, S, DE. BPA round 2, players likely to start within year 3-5, backups and high upside but need strength etc 7.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Amos is no ballhawk. He has 3 int’s total for his career. Zero in 2015 (16 games started). Zero in 2016 (14 games started). One in 2017 (10 games started), and two in 2018 (16 games started).

Amos is a solid player and I like him... but he’s not anywhere close to a ballhawk.

Perhaps you’re thinking of Eddie Jackson (their starting FS) who has 8 int’s in two seasons? That would be my guess.

Amos was their starting SS in Chicago.
Right. Dang I did like his play at SS. Alot the past two seasons. He is a solid safety.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The FA season is won during the regular season, not now. The Cowboys haven't been players in FA and are 2 of 3 in the last 3 on division titles.

What's funny is some of the same posters that glow about McClay get angry and blame the Jones when they don't play in the deep end. Think they haven't looked at what was available, what they might have to pay to retain their own and how much would be left over?

I wanted Thomas because all I care about is this season but the guy that knows the most about him next to Carroll didn't go to the wall for him. That tells me something.

The Cowboys have decided they're all about the draft and keeping their own. Now whether that's a sound strategy or not, only time will tell but pissing and moaning because they didn't play in FA is getting ahead of the game because had they gone big, we might have just as many pissing and moaning when the season rolls around.

What don't the unhappy ones get? It is this way every off season when FA rolls around, stupid money being spent by a lot of teams. Every team is going to overpay for some players, the Cowboys just prefer to do that with their own that have proven something.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
The FA season is won during the regular season, not now. The Cowboys haven't been players in FA and are 2 of 3 in the last 3 on division titles.

What's funny is some of the same posters that glow about McClay get angry and blame the Jones when they don't play in the deep end. Think they haven't looked at what was available, what they might have to pay to retain their own and how much would be left over?

I wanted Thomas because all I care about is this season but the guy that knows the most about him next to Carroll didn't go to the wall for him. That tells me something.

The Cowboys have decided they're all about the draft and keeping their own. Now whether that's a sound strategy or not, only time will tell but pissing and moaning because they didn't play in FA is getting ahead of the game because had they gone big, we might have just as many pissing and moaning when the season rolls around.

What don't the unhappy ones get? It is this way every off season when FA rolls around, stupid money being spent by a lot of teams. Every team is going to overpay for some players, the Cowboys just prefer to do that with their own that have proven something.
I agree with the sentiment, but what have any of these Cowboys players proven except that they can make the first round of the playoffs, and they want to make the most money possible for their position regardless of the team achievement?

I agree though, no reason to piss and moan about it because it is still Jerrys team, and it goes as Jerry goes.