Q&A with Arizona CB Antoine Cason

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I am positive that I am absolutely 100% alone in my way of thinking on this one........but, if DRC is there at 22, then grab him.....and take Cason at 28 if he is there.

yes, two CBs in the first round.....IMO, the two best CBs in the entire draft, and they come to us. add PacMan to the mix, and our secondary has the potential to go from mediocre to downright dominant....

Oh and btw....I would still trade down in the 6th, add a 7th......and with one of those 7ths take CB Jack Ikegwuonu....and let him sit out a year, and try to make the team in 2009....

so like I said, I am alone on this one, and I don't care....I don't care if anyone else feels the need to criticize my way of thinking.....BTW....my ideal scenario for getting both DRC and Cason is: we get DRC at 22, trade 28 for a 2nd and 3rd....then pick Cason with that 2nd that we just got.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell;2038349 said:
I know you are immensely hard-headed but surely you can take a deep breath and realize the point I made went like this:

The defensive scheme at OU when the baby Stoops was there(and yes Mike is baby-brother of the OU coaching tree) has hurt Cason's stock because guys like Derrick Strait didn't achieve the same pro success as they did in college.

What does this mean?

Uh, that MIKE STOOPS is the designer of that defense which anyone with any idea at all what is going on at UA acknowledges. That the defensive scheme is a turnover-machine defense that tricks things up and applies lots of pressure on offenses. It has nothing to do with MARK STOOPS and no one brought him up until you did.

Or are you suggesting you lacked the brain power to determine MIKE STOOPS was the baby brother at OU? Are you suggesting NFL teams look at that UA scheme like it is the scheme they ran at Miami?

Is basic common sense that fleeting?
That has to be the most ironic question you have ever asked me. You see it is common sense that I, who live in Tucson and watch the local newscasts and read the local papers, might actually know more about the UA Wildcats than you do.

In fact, I do.

I've seen interviews where Mike Stoops credits Mark with implementation of things he brought with him from Miami. The blurb from the article I posted mentioned he is the chemistry here. Of course that is ignored by you. That is laughable by the way.

I've seen interviews with Cason where he attributes much of what he has learned to Mark Stoops. I've seen where he calls him a mentor. I've seen where Cason mentioned choosing Arizona because of the hiring of Mark Stoops. I've seen where he has given a laundry list of Mark Stoops coached players who have gone on to the NFL. What players? So glad you asked.

FS Darrell Brooks (Arizona) - Dallas Cowboys camp 2006
FS Brian Lee (Wyoming) - New England Patriots 98
DB Trent Gamble (Wyoming) - Miami Dolphins 2000
CB Phillip Buchanon (Miami) - Oakland Raiders ‘02
DB Markese Fitzgerald (Miami) - Dallas Cowboys ‘02
S James Lewis (Miami) - Indianapolis Colts ‘02
DB Edward Reed (Miami) - Baltimore Ravens ‘02
DB Mike Rumph (Miami) - San Francisco 49ers ‘02
CB Alfonso Marshall (Miami) - Chicago Bears ‘04
S Sean Taylor (Miami) - Washington Commanders ‘04
CB Antrel Rolle - Arizona Cardinals '04

Funny how I see no mention of Derrick Strait in that list. That was quite a funny jog away from sanity you tried. If you think I don't know where Mike coached, you are once again wrong. Both have had an impact on the young man's life and I have never said differently. But the major impact on him has been the guy who is his position coach here and who never coached at Oklahoma.

Classic JT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038365 said:
I just went back and read it...

I havent seen him play as much as you have (in fact probably nobody that posts in this forum has)...but the 3 or 4 times I saw him play, I didnt come away thinking he was a shutdown, franchise CB

I'd be happy to have him on our team, just dont think he's a 1st rd pick..we'll never know how all 32 teams graded him, but I dont think he's going in the first

David
I have said there is only one "shutdown" CB, his name was Deion Sanders and he is retired. You asked me why I think he is better at the same stage than Chris McAllister. I answered that. Taking it beyond that is someplace I have never gone.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038390 said:

long list, but there's only one really good player on that list...most of them were far better college players than they were pros

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038395 said:
long list, but there's only one really good player on that list...most of them were far better college players than they were pros

David
That's a cop out.

Where was this logic on his bringing up Derrick Strait? Please.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038392 said:
I have said there is only one "shutdown" CB, his name was Deion Sanders and he is retired. You asked me why I think he is better at the same stage than Chris McAllister. I answered that. Taking it beyond that is someplace I have never gone.

Oh there's been more than one shutdown CB

It's just that there's none in this draft...the closest thing to a true shutdown CB today though is probably Newman...he gives up almost nothing

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038396 said:
That's a cop out.

Where was this logic on his bringing up Derrick Strait? Please.

It wasnt a cop out...it was a fact...Ed Reed was the only guy on that list that was a truly outstanding pro player

I have no idea what that has to do with Strait...I jsut commented on the list

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;2038390 said:
That has to be the most ironic question you have ever asked me. You see it is common sense that I, who live in Tucson and watch the local newscasts and read the local papers, might actually know more about the UA Wildcats than you do.

In fact, I do.

I've seen interviews where Mike Stoops credits Mark with implementation of things he brought with him from Miami. The blurb from the article I posted mentioned he is the chemistry here. Of course that is ignored by you. That is laughable by the way.

I've seen interviews with Cason where he attributes much of what he has learned to Mark Stoops. I've seen where he calls him a mentor. I've seen where Cason mentioned choosing Arizona because of the hiring of Mark Stoops. I've seen where he has given a laundry list of Mark Stoops coached players who have gone on to the NFL. What players? So glad you asked.

Funny how I see no mention of Derrick Strait in that list. That was quite a funny jog away from sanity you tried. If you think I don't know where Mike coached, you are once again wrong. Both have had an impact on the young man's life and I have never said differently. But the major impact on him has been the guy who is his position coach here and who never coached at Oklahoma.

Classic JT.
JT had a milkshake. And Hos drank it up.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038400 said:
It wasnt a cop out...it was a fact...Ed Reed was the only guy on that list that was a truly outstanding pro player

I have no idea what that has to do with Strait...I jsut commented on the list

David
There are several guys on that list who are worth something to NFL teams.

Sorry, that was a cop out.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038403 said:
There are several guys on that list who are worth something to NFL teams.

Sorry, that was a cop out.

being worth something and being an outstanding player are two different things...there was one outstanding player, a few decent ones and several nothings

like I said, it was a comment on the list...it wasnt a copout or anything else...just a comment

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;2038402 said:
JT had a milkshake. And Hos drank it up.
You used to have a version of that as your av title. I don't know what it means. Can you elaborate? I assume it is a version of "owned?"

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038410 said:
You used to have a version of that as your av title. I don't know what it means. Can you elaborate? I assume it is a version of "owned?"

I've wondered that too...Theo, do tell

also, why'd you get rid of it? I liked it...it was catchy

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038409 said:
being worth something and being an outstanding player are two different things...there was one outstanding player, a few decent ones and several nothings

like I said, it was a comment on the list...it wasnt a copout or anything else...just a comment

David
Yeah whatever, this isn't worth the powder to blow it to hell. I'll move on unless you want to discuss something worthwhile.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;2038410 said:
Watch "There Will Be Blood." It was an epic "owned" line at the end of the movie.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2038418 said:
Watch "There Will Be Blood." It was an epic "owned" line at the end of the movie.

Is it a good flick? Havent seen it yet

I know it won some awards, but sometimes the lousy movies win stuff and the good one's dont

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2038413 said:
Yeah whatever, this isn't worth the powder to blow it to hell. I'll move on unless you want to discuss something worthwhile.

I think your making something of it that wasnt there

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038424 said:
I think your making something of it that wasnt there

David
Nope, I just refuse to acknowledge any comment that discounts several 1st round draft picks and dismisses them with a wave of the hand.

Just not worth the time. I was looking for a discussion, not to just acknowledge whatever you say as valid and the rest of us not having a clue. I can get that from JT and his assumptions of my knowledge of Arizona football.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;2038423 said:
Is it a good flick? Havent seen it yet

I know it won some awards, but sometimes the lousy movies win stuff and the good one's dont

David
Definitely one of the top 2 movies of '07, along with No Country for Old Men.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2038431 said:
Definitely one of the top 2 movies of '07, along with No Country for Old Men.

havent seen that one yet either, but it was on my list

will check them both out

David