QB Analysis Week 2 Trey Lance

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One reminder we should all keep in mind regarding Lance: He is a developmental project that will require some patience. His talent is unquestioned but his readiness to lead an NFL team as a starter remains to be seen.

I hope the Cowboys keep him and also think they should find a way to use him in occasional packages this year.

The question about whether Trey Lance COULD be a successful starting QB remains unanswered. But the question of whether Trey Lance has the TALENT to be a successful NFL QB is YES.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If we stay the course & Lance develops nicely, will anyone give Jerry credit for the trade?
what is the timeline for this? I had hoped he would be way better than what he has shown for 2 games.He is not coming back here next season as a backup to Dak for peanuts to finish his "development".

csirl

Reaction score
Since Week 1 was posted here is Week 2 by the same guy:

Summary: Much improved from last week. A lot of “outstanding” comments.

Criticism: Accuracy still a bit off on throws that should be regular and easy.

The criticism part sounds a lot like Dak!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Idk how you folks can watch a 30 minute video lol.

Lance was the exact same player he was last week, and has been for 4 years. He can't sit in the pocket, read a defense, and push the ball down the field. The rest doesn't matter. He isn't all that different than Dak in 2016 and 2017 tbh.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It was a low 4th. If you draft a QB in the 4th and they become a solid backup I'd say that's a good pick. Half of our 4th round picks don't even make the team.
No it isn't. You've burned a pick on a guy who makes no difference on whether you are competitive or not.

If they're developmental, you never get the value of having them on a rookie contract. This is extraordinarily true for Lance, who is paid 5x more than a 4th-round pick AND becomes a free agent after 1 year. He's not just going to sign in Dallas for league min to be a backup.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lance was the exact same player he was last week, and has been for 4 years. He can't sit in the pocket, read a defense, and push the ball down the field. The rest doesn't matter.
150 yards Including laser beam 30 yarder), 2 TDs both run and pass.. in a partial game. With his scrubs against their 1s.

Not bad for someone you claim sucks.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
150 yards Including laser beam 30 yarder), 2 TDs both run and pass.. in a partial game. With his scrubs against their 1s.

Not bad for someone you claim sucks.
150 yards is nothing. 1 preseason game is nothing. He's thrown 60-something passes and completed exactly 1 beyond 20 yards lol. They couldn't hit on any third downs.

The whole "his scrubs against their 1s" is nonsense. Lance didn't do anything in the first half.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
what is the timeline for this? I had hoped he would be way better than what he has shown for 2 games.He is not coming back here next season as a backup to Dak for peanuts to finish his "development".
I was thinking more along the lines of Dak moves on Lance is at least a high level #2.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

Lance was the exact same player he was last week, and has been for 4 years. He can't sit in the pocket, read a defense, and push the ball down the field. The rest doesn't matter. He isn't all that different than Dak in 2016 and 2017 tbh.
Weird how you can’t watch a 30 minute critique but can watch a two hour+ game and supposedly make such judgments.

Or perhaps it’s just your Dak-homerism speaking.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That’s the big question. He is a 4 year pro. I don't think he should be a project at year 4.
Generally speaking, I would agree with this but the fact is, he has not played a lot. Never played a full season and has started ONLY 4 games. Shanahan built the kid up taking him 3rd overall and declared him a bust after only 8 games in 2 years. He may not have the talent to start or even play in the league but man, I would love to have him sit on our bench for another couple of years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Weird how you can’t watch a 30 minute critique but can watch a two hour+ game and supposedly make such judgments.

Or perhaps it’s just your Dak-homerism speaking.
The numbers are the numbers.

He was 6-9 for 34 yards in the first half. He has hit 1 downfield pass in two games. The Cowboys were credited with, I think, 78 YAC against the Raiders. Not a judgement, it is what it is.

Cry about Dak homerism all you want, can't help it if you don't like tangible data.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I would agree with this but the fact is, he has not played a lot. Never played a full season and has started ONLY 4 games. Shanahan built the kid up taking him 3rd overall and declared him a bust after only 8 games in 2 years. He may not have the talent to start or even play in the league but man, I would love to have him sit on our bench for another couple of years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm
I’d love to see if he can develop here. We’ve traded the fourth might as well stick out as long as possible.

I just don’t know if it’s fair to say someone is a project 4 years in. This may be what he is. He looks like Jordan Love and Mahomes so it comforts us to think that’s his ceiling….this may be it for him. Maybe it isn’t. I’m not sure if his issues come from lack of infield play. Accuracy is something that can get better without play in the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The numbers are the numbers.

He was 6-9 for 34 yards in the first half. He has hit 1 downfield pass in two games. The Cowboys were credited with, I think, 78 YAC against the Raiders. Not a judgement, it is what it is.

Cry about Dak homerism all you want, can't help it if you don't like tangible data.
I don’t know why they think Lance criticism is linked to Dak “homerism”. Lance is not a threat to Dak. If they let Dak go it will not be because of Lance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is MM's read progression. You determine left / right in a pre-snap or early read than you focus on one side of the field. You then have a high / low read.

I think its a pretty good system and simplifies things for the QB, which allows them to think fast. Garrett's "read the whole field" system puts a lot of burden on the QB and is just begging to create mistakes.
Yup.

I don’t like the lack of presnap motion though.

Teams know what we are doing.

Big Mike could learn a thing or two about motion from Landry.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don’t know why they think Lance criticism is linked to Dak “homerism”. Lance is not a threat to Dak. If they let Dak go it will not be because of Lance.

The kid has talent. And is football smart.

I.e. The slide to setup the 66yd FG at the end of the half.

He knew the time was short.

Slide. Take the TO. Kick.

Lance isn’t a rookie.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
One reminder we should all keep in mind regarding Lance: He is a developmental project that will require some patience. His talent is unquestioned but his readiness to lead an NFL team as a starter remains to be seen.

I hope the Cowboys keep him and also think they should find a way to use him in occasional packages this year.

The question about whether Trey Lance COULD be a successful starting QB remains unanswered. But the question of whether Trey Lance has the TALENT to be a successful NFL QB is YES.
I absolutely question his talent. Reading a defense on time is a talent - probably the most important one for a QB.

Doesn't mean he can't/won't, but the talent is not there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So you ask why can fans watch a 30 minute video, but yet claim you know what he can't do. His past history means nothing at this point. It was about last weeks game and his improvement.
You obviously did not watch the video from your statement. And you can't tell everything from watching it on TV.

And it is not a true 4 years.