QB Analysis Week 2 Trey Lance

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Looks like Trey doesnt scan the other side , he looks left then stays left, looks right , stays right.
Yeah, that's what's probably going to take him the longest to develop: going through reads. But until then he does have the legs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I absolutely question his talent. Reading a defense on time is a talent - probably the most important one for a QB.

Doesn't mean he can't/won't, but the talent is not there.
You, nor any of us fans can say he can or can't read defenses. I mean many, say that about Dak as well. Do you agree with them?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So you ask why can fans watch a 30 minute video, but yet claim you know what he can't do. His past history means nothing at this point. It was about last weeks game and his improvement.
You obviously did not watch the video from your statement. And you can't tell everything from watching it on TV.

And it is not a true 4 years.
He didn't improve because he didn't hit vertical or timing throws with any consistency. He was the same player as the week before.

I don't know who that guy even is. Why would I - or anyone, really - implicitly trust him?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You, nor any of us fans can say he can or can't read defenses. I mean many, say that about Dak as well. Do you agree with them?
They are wrong.

The proof is in the inability to hit anything downfield. Dak couldn't do it for his first 2.5 years in the league either.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
No it isn't. You've burned a pick on a guy who makes no difference on whether you are competitive or not.

If they're developmental, you never get the value of having them on a rookie contract. This is extraordinarily true for Lance, who is paid 5x more than a 4th-round pick AND becomes a free agent after 1 year. He's not just going to sign in Dallas for league min to be a backup.
That's my point though. Most 4th round picks don't determine whether you are competitive or not but you are getting a guy here who may have what it takes to take over the most important position on the team at some point. Or he may not. Such as it goes with draft picks.

And yes, if we resign him it won't be on a rookie contract. But he's not going to be commanding huge money on the open market after this season as, unless something unexpected happens, he won't be playing much.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are wrong.

The proof is in the inability to hit anything downfield. Dak couldn't do it for his first 2.5 years in the league either.
In the 2nd half he hit some players down field. Also scrambled a few times, found the open WR.
And maybe the WR going down field did not do what he was supposed to do.

Dak still has a hard time finding them going into year 9.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can't disagree on Fields. He's made a huge improvement over where he started at and I think he will be starting for the Steelers before the year is over if not Week 1.
In Cowboys minor defense I don’t think they or anyone else knew Fields would be worth a 6th. I thought a first or a second.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't improve because he didn't hit vertical or timing throws with any consistency. He was the same player as the week before.

I don't know who that guy even is. Why would I - or anyone, really - implicitly trust him?
But he did find them and had better passes downfield in the 2nd half.
I think MM called a more conservative game in the 1st half. Build some confidence.

How did you like that fade for the TD. It looked pretty dang good.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In the 2nd half he hit some players down field. Also scrambled a few times, found the open WR.
And maybe the WR going down field did not do what he was supposed to do.

You guys can bring up Dak’s flaws as a playoff qb because of the last few years he’s been bad. The choke gene seems to be in him but him as a player is of the best in the league. It Lance had his flaws Dak would’ve been gone by now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I absolutely question his talent. Reading a defense on time is a talent - probably the most important one for a QB.

Doesn't mean he can't/won't, but the talent is not there.
Mac I agree with you Lance has clearly had trouble reading defenses so far in his career. And in the PS there are zero exotic coverages to decipher.

What I’m talking about is his raw talent - athleticism, arm strength and mobility. Does that mean he’s ready to be a successful starter? Not yet. Those saying “let’s roll with Lance” are mostly wishcasting.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Mac I agree with you Lance has clearly had trouble reading defenses so far in his career. And in the PS there are zero exotic coverages to decipher.

What I’m talking about is his raw talent - athleticism, arm strength and mobility. Does that mean he’s ready to be a successful starter? Not yet. Those saying “let’s roll with Lance” are mostly wishcasting.
Sure. The physical part of the talent is there (although I think his legs are wildly overrated). Splitting hairs I guess, I just think that reading defenses, timing, and those sorts of things are a part of "talent."

But no, definitely can't just roll with him now.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
But he did find them and had better passes downfield in the 2nd half.
I think MM called a more conservative game in the 1st half. Build some confidence.

How did you like that fade for the TD. It looked pretty dang good.
No he didn't. He has hit one pass that has gone more than 20 yards in the air in two games.

Every quarterback in the NFL can make that throw. Good ball, but it's a pre-snap read to a guy in single coverage who gets WIDE open. It means nothing - considerably less than the throw he missed in the opposite corner last week that required a post-snap hi-low read as well.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This is unequivocally false. His air yards per completion is always among the leaders - last year he attempted more 20+ air yards passes per game than every full-time starter except Purdy.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That's my point though. Most 4th round picks don't determine whether you are competitive or not but you are getting a guy here who may have what it takes to take over the most important position on the team at some point. Or he may not. Such as it goes with draft picks.

And yes, if we resign him it won't be on a rookie contract. But he's not going to be commanding huge money on the open market after this season as, unless something unexpected happens, he won't be playing much.
No, but a backup QB doesn't give you any market value.

He is going to have all of the leverage if Dak is gone. Look at what quarterbacks make lol. Even if you get him at Minshew money ($12.5m) you're still paying over $50m cap dollars to your quarterbacks AND you're not going to have any term on that type of deal, so if Lance is good in 2025, you're going to have to give him $60m the next year anyway.

I don't mind trading a 4th-rounder for a backup - even though I think it is pointless. I really hate it for a guy who, at bests, costs you more money than you'd spend if you just extended Dak at the top of the market right now.