QB Analysis Week 2 Trey Lance

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The numbers are the numbers.

He was 6-9 for 34 yards in the first half. He has hit 1 downfield pass in two games. The Cowboys were credited with, I think, 78 YAC against the Raiders. Not a judgement, it is what it is.

Cry about Dak homerism all you want, can't help it if you don't like tangible data.
How would you know what his stats were before making your comment if a thirty minute video is too long to watch? That just seems like confirmation bias.

Nevertheless, so?

Lance can only do the play called. Being a certain stat sheet could be affected by play-calling, receivers not being open, time of possession due to the opposing team holding the ball, etc.

Dak threw for less than 80 yards in the first half of the GB playoff game until the very last drive with a few minutes left to go. How many of those were YAC?

How many excuses will you find for the eight year veteran?

None of this is expected to be answered since the questions are rhetorical. The point being, well it’s just numbers and you just don’t like the tangible data.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How would you know what his stats were before making your comment? That just seems like confirmation bias
Because the internet exists.

Idk I'm not reading all of that. It isn't hard to look up how a player did in the first half lol

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this a joke? The numbers are the facts. The numbers said he didn't do anything against the Raiders starters.

Idk what you're talking about.
Look...all I know is the announcers commented several that there were quite a few ones playing throughout the game.

It's what they said. Not worth arguing about.
Now ...how come you hate trey?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He has hit one pass that has gone more than 20 yards in the air in two games.
His scouting profile says he's accurate on deep balls. Ok, it hasn't hit in 2 preseason games. What about practice?

The overwhelming concensus is that he needs reps, especially live reps. It only follows that he's a tick off in his timing which is affecting accuracy.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Look...all I know is the announcers commented several that there were quite a few ones aging throughout the game.

It's what they said. Not worth arguing about.
Now ...how come you hate trey?
He played against the 1s in the first half and did nothing. The "his scrubs against their 1s" is a pointless observation, because he didn't do anything in that context.

I don't hate Trey. I hate people who make things up.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Because the internet exists.

Idk I'm not reading all of that. It isn't hard to look up how a player did in the first half lol
So? You made a comment on a thread concerning a video without actually watching it.

Based on numbers you likely didn’t even look at until after you commented.

No one should take you seriously.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
His scouting profile says he's accurate on deep balls. Ok, it hasn't hit in 2 preseason games. What about practice?

The overwhelming concensus is that he needs reps, especially live reps. It only follows that he's a tick off in his timing which is affecting accuracy.
Ok? Ryan Leaf had that in his scouting report too. It doesn't matter.

He is way more than a "tick off" in his timing. He's late reading half the field. Sure he needs reps. Dallas would be incredibly stupid to burn reps on him in the regular season

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So? You made a comment on a thread concerning a video without actually watching it.

Based on numbers you likely didn’t even look at until after you commented.

No one should take you seriously.
I didn't say anything about the video other than it's 30 minutes long

You don't know when I knew the numbers (yesterday, on the Ath, fwiw). I pulled the 20+ yard passes number from Sturm last week and this week.

you are making things up lol

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the video other than it's 30 minutes long

You don't know when I knew the numbers (yesterday, on the Ath, fwiw). I pulled the 20+ yard passes number from Sturm last week and this week.

you are making things up lol
Dude this is what you said:

“Idk how you folks can watch a 30 minute video lol.”

The implication is clear. Stop backtracking.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
He’s got potential but needs to learn some touch and work on accuracy. Seems like every throw is thrown as hard as possible. Hopefully with some reps he can get a better feel for touch passes.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Dude this is what you said:

“Idk how you folks can watch a 30 minute video lol.”

The implication is clear. Stop backtracking.
Yes, I said the video is 30 minutes long and I don't know how people watch them. Those videos are always boring - 2 minutes of info stretched to be monetized on Youtube. I didn't say a single thing about what is in the video, because I don't know or care lol. It's just some guy.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Ok? Ryan Leaf had that in his scouting report too. It doesn't matter.

He is way more than a "tick off" in his timing. He's late reading half the field. Sure he needs reps. Dallas would be incredibly stupid to burn reps on him in the regular season
I respectfully disagree. His head generally seems to be where it needs to be but the throw is half a pause behind when it should occur. Too bad the preseason has been shortened. I would love to see him with the 1's just to get a feel for how much, if any, those around him are affecting his processing & confidence.

Why? Why couldn't you have some packages for him? Certainly there are situations where his presence on the field would present defenses with concerns they wouldn't normally have against us.

Why can't he come in if the game is decided one way or the other? IMO it would be incredibly smart to get him reps. I have long been a critic of this organization getting their backup QB's reps when the opportunities arise.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. His head generally seems to be where it needs to be but the throw is half a pause behind when it should occur. Too bad the preseason has been shortened. I would love to see him with the 1's just to get a feel for how much, if any, those around him are affecting his processing & confidence.

Why? Why couldn't you have some packages for him? Certainly there are situations where his presence on the field would present defenses with concerns they wouldn't normally have against us.

Why can't he come in if the game is decided one way or the other? IMO it would be incredibly smart to get him reps. I have long been a critic of this organization getting their backup QB's reps when the opportunities arise.
A half-pause when you're only on a half-field read is a lot - and it throws off his feet and mechanics too.

Because he doesn't do anything special enough to warrant packages. He's not a good enough runner to do like RPO packages that will accomplish anything.

Sure, when a game is out of hand, go ahead and play him. That's rare though, and isn't enough volume to do anything for his development, not to mention that the other top guys will be out too.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The numbers are the numbers.

He was 6-9 for 34 yards in the first half. He has hit 1 downfield pass in two games. The Cowboys were credited with, I think, 78 YAC against the Raiders. Not a judgement, it is what it is.

Cry about Dak homerism all you want, can't help it if you don't like tangible data.
Where are you getting your numbers?

He finished the first half with 7 straight completions, and was 8/11 with over 50 yards.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
A half-pause when you're only on a half-field read is a lot - and it throws off his feet and mechanics too.

Because he doesn't do anything special enough to warrant packages. He's not a good enough runner to do like RPO packages that will accomplish anything.

Sure, when a game is out of hand, go ahead and play him. That's rare though, and isn't enough volume to do anything for his development, not to mention that the other top guys will be out too.
Like i said, I don't agree that he's only reading half the field. I haven't noticed any glaring issues with his feet or mechanics.

Well, he's like a million times more agile & speedier than #4 so I'm quite confident his presence would make things possible that wouldn't be otherwise.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Where are you getting your numbers?

He finished the first half with 7 straight completions, and was 8/11 with over 50 yards.
I wasn't counting the last FG drive but I don't think the Raiders starters were in.

Should hav eclarified that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Like i said, I don't agree that he's only reading half the field. I haven't noticed any glaring issues with his feet or mechanics.

Well, he's like a million times more agile & speedier than #4 so I'm quite confident his presence would make things possible that wouldn't be otherwise.
The miss to Jalen Cropper in the end zone against the Rams was a half-field read that he was late on and it caused his feet and timing to just be a disaster.

Not really. Regardless of whether Dak is slow or not, Lance isn't fast enough for defenses to worry about him running. He has never shown any gamebreaking run ability.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The miss to Jalen Cropper in the end zone against the Rams was a half-field read that he was late on and it caused his feet and timing to just be a disaster.

Not really. Regardless of whether Dak is slow or not, Lance isn't fast enough for defenses to worry about him running. He has never shown any gamebreaking run ability.
That play was certainly not good but it's one play.

He has 78 yards & a TD rushing in two preseason games this year. He had 1100 yards & 14tds in college in 2019. If you are defining "game breaking" as 70 yard scampers, maybe not. But I'm guessing defenses would worry about the first downs & TD's.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That play was certainly not good but it's one play.

He has 78 yards & a TD rushing in two preseason games this year. He had 1100 yards & 14tds in college in 2019. If you are defining "game breaking" as 70 yard scampers, maybe not. But I'm guessing defenses would worry about the first downs & TD's.
They'd worry about it in the same way they'd worry about Aaron Rodgers running. It's dangerous off-script when the defense has its back turned. It isn't dangerous just as a feature of the offense.

He'd be proven as a dynamic runner from his time in SF - that skill doesn't really need reps to develop. When he did get lots of opportunities with his legs, he averaged a little over 4 ypc and got hurt. There is just nothing dynamic about him at all.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They'd worry about it in the same way they'd worry about Aaron Rodgers running. It's dangerous off-script when the defense has its back turned. It isn't dangerous just as a feature of the offense.

He'd be proven as a dynamic runner from his time in SF - that skill doesn't really need reps to develop. When he did get lots of opportunities with his legs, he averaged a little over 4 ypc and got hurt. There is just nothing dynamic about him at all.
okee dokey. seems like you have your mind made up.