QB Competition

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The last QB to win a QB competition was Romo. Under a HOF coach and his apprentice who wanted to bring Romo along with him to his new head coaching gig but was refused. Dak didn’t even win a QB competition. He was just handed the reigns because of the superstition of hurting a winning streak and they didn’t want a QB controversy, because they knew Romo was taking him to the shed in practice once he was healthy.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So all you care about are playoff performances. Dak had one of the greatest playoff games in Cowboys history at Tampa. A game by the nobody thought the Cowboys would win. Of course that game doesn’t count because it does not fit the narrative.
Nobody thought we'd win because we have Dak. What was Tampa's record in 2022? He had a great game though...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak is our legend now and he's been JJ's legend for sure coming up on year nine, until further notice.
Dak's not going to be our legend unless he wins a Super Bowl.
But make no mistake if he does, he will be.
And the fact is as a rookie he sealed Tony Romo's fate at NEVER being a Cowboys legend by being a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

We can say he is not worth 60M AAV without saying stupid things.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What's hilarious is people believing every word of a player/coach/owner....WHEN it suits their opinion.

What'd you expect Jason to say? Go against the owner? His boss? Do you do that at work?
ROFL, now you think Witten was so weak-willed he made a locker room proclamation to please Jerry???
Good lord how insulting.
Jason saw a team win 13 games with a dominant rookie class and knew Romo needed shots to even suit up.
He said what he said and meant what he said as a man of integrity.

Jerry was taking Romo on family vacations (never taken Dak) so there is zero reason to believe he had a strong preference at that time. He was still paying Romo.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I absolutely believe he's getting another contract. Unless they want to waste the next couple of years, if not more.

The worst thing they can do is make him play this year at the current cap hit, then give him a new contract.
I absolutely agree with you.
If you don't extend him now, you have to let him hit free agency next year unless the team wins a Super Bowl.
Then you owe it to the team to bring essentially everyone back.
Otherwise, you rebuild.

But these things are very complicated.
The decision around Dak will impact a lot of other guys.

Facts are Dak has all the leverage because they can't tag or trade him.
So if his ask is too high you have zero other option but to let him play or cut him.
And cutting him would also kneecap the entire team this season.

Flamma

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you.
If you don't extend him now, you have to let him hit free agency next year unless the team wins a Super Bowl.
Then you owe it to the team to bring essentially everyone back.
Otherwise, you rebuild.

But these things are very complicated.
The decision around Dak will impact a lot of other guys.

Facts are Dak has all the leverage because they can't tag or trade him.
So if his ask is too high you have zero other option but to let him play or cut him.
And cutting him would also kneecap the entire team this season.
It's a simple decision. Give him an extension now to lower the cap hit and plan to win now. Or let him play under the 60m cap hit and move on next year. There is no other option.

Letting him play under his current cap hit and evaluating what to do next year is stupid. We can't win anything with Dak at a 60M cap hit. Not possible. So it's pointless to do that unless you are looking at replacing him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some of y'all really need to get your own room and argue and debate this stuff all night like 24/7 some of y'all are in these chat room type debates you should literally have your own chat room to argue this stuff all night..... :facepalm:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROFL, now you think Witten was so weak-willed he made a locker room proclamation to please Jerry???
Good lord how insulting.
Jason saw a team win 13 games with a dominant rookie class and knew Romo needed shots to even suit up.
He said what he said and meant what he said as a man of integrity.

Jerry was taking Romo on family vacations (never taken Dak) so there is zero reason to believe he had a strong preference at that time. He was still paying Romo.
No...I think Jason was a dang good team mate and employee...and would say what needs said for the good of the team, not for how he personally felt.

It's just what i think I'm not about to fight about it. I was just giving you a little taste of your own medicine about ridiculing people for their opinions.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off? What is wrong with giving Lance an equal chance at beating out Dak this year? Maybe tell Dak, "hey we're going to give this guy Lance a serious chance to take your job". Why? "Because you suck in big games". Sometimes a player needs to be looking over their shoulder to put forth that 110% effort needed to win in the NFL.
:lmao2: :popcorn:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's a simple decision. Give him an extension now to lower the cap hit and plan to win now. Or let him play under the 60m cap hit and move on next year. There is no other option.

Letting him play under his current cap hit and evaluating what to do next year is stupid. We can't win anything with Dak at a 60M cap hit. Not possible. So it's pointless to do that unless you are looking at replacing him.
Again, I do not disagree.
But no matter how much they plan to move on if they do win big you probably have to then resign him.
Because you'd owe it to the team and he will have proven you can win with 60M cap hit at QB.

I do not love any of these options but I didn't handle these Dak deals this way where I forced him to prove it and came late to the contract party every time.
Now the team has handed him co-ownership essentially.
He has to either take far less out of kindness or we will probably suck and his legacy will likely be us sucking.

I will say if he plays the deal out and hits URFA I expect him to sign an insane deal. But even if it is 350M it can be very cheap in the first year and relatively cheap in year 2. 100M SB with a min base year 1 costs less than 22M on the cap.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No...I think Jason was a dang good team mate and employee...and would say what needs said for the good of the team, not for how he personally felt.

It's just what i think I'm not about to fight about it. I was just giving you a little taste of your own medicine about ridiculing people for their opinions.
Make no mistake you are saying Witten threw his best friend under the bus ending his career even though he personally disagreed with the take??
That is a major indictment of his character and again goes to show just how brain damaged this Dak angst is.
It has creeped into tearing everything and everyone else down.

Witten retired and left the Cowboys, never holding out a cup to Jerry. He went to work himself a coach on the youth levels.
There is zero to suggest he carries anyone's water or would ever lie to a teammate much less the entire team.
He felt Dak won the team over and it was his team and that is what he said.
Suggesting anything else is calling him a liar.

Facts do not care about your opinion.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Can't win after Dak with no replacement QB.

We are all seeing GM Jeruh at his finest.

Motorola

Reaction score
Let us see what Lance can do in TC first, but they really should draft a QB as well.
With the GM trading this year's 4th round selection last August for Lance - he's basically the "drafted QB" for 2024.
Not against the Cowboys bringing in another prospect at the position...but use one of the 7th round picks, along with signing an UDFA.
The 5th and 6th round comp picks should be used for (another) OL\LB \ RB - dependent on what the Cowboys did with picks 1,2, and 3.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Make no mistake you are saying Witten threw his best friend under the bus ending his career even though he personally disagreed with the take??
That is a major indictment of his character and again goes to show just how brain damaged this Dak angst is.
It has creeped into tearing everything and everyone else down.

Witten retired and left the Cowboys, never holding out a cup to Jerry. He went to work himself a coach on the youth levels.
There is zero to suggest he carries anyone's water or would ever lie to a teammate much less the entire team.
He felt Dak won the team over and it was his team and that is what he said.
Suggesting anything else is calling him a liar.

Facts do not care about your opinion.
No sir...not what I am saying. Feel free to spin it in whatever way you feel necessary.

I'm actually a bit surprised I cared as much as I did about what you think, how little it even was to begin with.