QB Competition

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Should Dak get beat out at QB it would mean that JJ and Stephen overestimated Dak’s ability as a “franchise” QB and their collective egos and reputations as “football guys” would be tarnished.
More importantly, it’s a function of ROI; if Dak sits on the bench their money isn’t working for them.
Jerry and Stephen have treated Dak with Kid Gloves…competition is important to ensure the best players play; lack of competition makes players complacent…Dak is an example of what happens when one is just handed the job without winning it on his abilities.
He has abilities. It's just not good enough. And we do need real competition. Neither Rush or Lance present thst

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing. Competition is good. But let's get real competition not Rush or Lance. That's trying to find diamond in a pile of elephant dung
When was the last time you have even seen him since he became a Cowboy? Do you think he could become a good QB or do you just want him away because of competition? Hey, he might fool all of us, we don't know and neither do you.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When was the last time you have even seen him since he became a Cowboy? Do you think he could become a good QB or do you just want him away because of competition? Hey, he might fool all of us, we don't know and neither do you.
I want him to become a HOF QB. Why would any cowboys fan not want competition. But evidence to date says otherwise. It's not evaluating college tapes and projecting it to NFL. It's real NFL games he played in.

We can all be wishful, clucking your heels three times and wishing you were back in Kansas. But it's our fantasy of wishing someone to be something because we are desperate.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I want him to become a HOF QB. Why would any cowboys fan not want competition. But evidence to date says otherwise. It's not evaluating college tapes and projecting it to NFL. It's real NFL games he played in.

We can all be wishful, clucking your heels three times and wishing you were back in Kansas. But it's our fantasy of wishing someone to be something because we are desperate.
I'm not desperate at all. The only thing I'm waiting for is to watch him play in training camp...can you see him yet?

Take you fantasy away from me.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We know what he can't do. Is get 60% completion percentage. Throw for 200 yards consistently. We know what he can do is struggle in NFL. We k own what he can't do is read NFL defenses. He played real NFL games. He showed he is not ready.

Never said he is a bum. I just don't see a lot of NFL talent.

PS games are meaningless. But if he can't dominate in preseason, then yeah he maybe a bum. Who knows.
As I said we don’t know what he can or can’t do.
what you posted is a very small sample size.

And for those that say he or any QB can’t read defenses are not qualified to make that statement.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This take literally is insane.
If a player is so good when they play the guy can never get his job back? Yea they beat then out.
Dak played so well as a rookie that Romo was forced into retirement.
Tony Romo's best friend on the team at the time, Jason Witten even said hey it is Dak's team.
That's as thorough of a beating out that exists.

At Miss St, Tyler Russell was a Parade All-America and Dak flat won that job in Russell's senior year.
Russell had a concussion in game 1 and started 2 other games after Dak injured his shoulder but ended up a back up to Dak.
A guy that is 5th all-time in Miss St passing was just a back up to finish his career because of Dak.

Dak is not only a legend at MissSt he is on pace to break every Cowbioys passing record there is.
I certainly do not want to pay him 60M AAV but it is completely corny to offer up these types of wack takes.
What's hilarious is people believing every word of a player/coach/owner....WHEN it suits their opinion.

What'd you expect Jason to say? Go against the owner? His boss? Do you do that at work?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As I said we don’t know what he can or can’t do.
what you posted is a very small sample size.

And for those that say he or any QB can’t read defenses are not qualified to make that statement.
Again, as I said we know what he can't do. There is more evidence on that than assumptions you are trying to make.

And so now you attempting to make excuses for him and create a pigeon hole for him to fit and be protected.

So have you ever said Dak can't read defenses?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again, as I said we know what he can't do. There is more evidence on that than assumptions you are trying to make.

And so now you attempting to make excuses for him and create a pigeon hole for him to fit and be protected.

We know what he can't do? How would you know that?

Your nothing but trying to set up a paper tiger that you want to try and tear down.

So Dak is the tiger...light it up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We know what he can't do? How would you know that?

Your nothing but trying to set up a paper tiger that you want to try and tear down.

So Dak is the tiger...light it up.
how? watch the games he played...

how do you know what he can do? you don't. so far all the evidence points to his lack of abilities.

furthermore to that, a GM with three superbowl appearance and coach with three appearances decided all the picks they gave up to move up to get him, wasn't worth it and dumped uncermoniously for a 4th round pick and were doing back flips.

and I am not trying to set him up for anything. more so that you keep pimping him. wishful thinking. click your heels and you are back in kansas wishful thinking. he couldn't even win the back up job in Dallas. come on dude.

also, Dak is a paper tiger so far. at least in the post season.

yeah, you got nothing. nada. zero. zilch. niet.

Flamma

Reaction score
The team can literally do much of nothing.
He has a no trade clause, and he gets a massive bonus in about a week.

They can release him (pay 61M in cap charge to be an unrestricted free agent where he would easily sign the biggest deal in NFL history and forego ANY future value out of him), extend him to a deal he will actually sign(feels gross) or let him play out this final year of his deal at a high number, eat his 40M void cost next year but get a R3 comp pick.
Thats where we are,

People not facing reality are wasting everyone's time.

And if you do move on from Dak, which I tend to think is the move you are also moving on from Martin/DLaw and a few others.
You have to fully tank to plan to draft a franchise QB.
They go in the top 3 or turn out to be franchise guys post draft.

So love it, like it, or hate it you might as well accept it. This team is going to throw the dice AT LEAST one final time with this crew including Dak.
I absolutely believe he's getting another contract. Unless they want to waste the next couple of years, if not more.

The worst thing they can do is make him play this year at the current cap hit, then give him a new contract.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I never said that Dak could or could not read defenses, that I recall anyway.
There is not enough evidence and I am not making assumption.
I guess you have no comprehension as I am not making excuses. What is your issue with trying to understand that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this has honestly been our problem for years now, not creating qb controversies, so get weak backups to avoid this
Why should teams create a QB competition, that is detrimental most of the time.
Unless you have a QB that is struggling, aging, or you have a clear cut path to where you must improve.

Dallas does not have that situation in spite of all the "dislikers" on here. Who could not evaluate any football player most of the time.

Would many like to go a different direction, yes, because of lack of playoff success. That is understandable.
Let us see what Lance can do in TC first, but they really should draft a QB as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never said that Dak could or could not read defenses, that I recall anyway.
There is not enough evidence and I am not making assumption.
I guess you have no comprehension as I am not making excuses. What is your issue with trying to understand that.
all you have done is make assumptions the entire time.