CFZ QB/Head Coach combinations

75boyz

Reaction score
Well its near impossible to logically say "The OC over achieved with the QB who is physically putting up the numbers you like", Prescott didnt just get lucky nor did KM call "Plays that worked against every team but SF" again one can not achieve anything without the other. KM doesnt call empty set 5 wide on 3 and 2 because he is protecting Dak....that wouldnt make sense would it? Now if you say neither Dak nor KM can get it done in the playoffs we are 100% in agreement.
Or maybe...
how come all of a sudden all the previous regular season success of both calling and executing comes to a complete standstill at the execution phase when playoffs arise?
Was the playcaller supposed to add in Dak's ear prior to the snap
If there's open field feel free to run, if the original play call has the 1st read blanketed don't still throw that pass...

And on and on.
It's in the execution, no?
So in that sense it does not matter formation or anything else.
It again comes down to decision making with ball in hand.
Regardless of play call.
Regular season or playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well its near impossible to logically say "The OC over achieved with the QB who is physically putting up the numbers you like", Prescott didnt just get lucky nor did KM call "Plays that worked against every team but SF" again one can not achieve anything without the other. KM doesnt call empty set 5 wide on 3 and 2 because he is protecting Dak....that wouldnt make sense would it? Now if you say neither Dak nor KM can get it done in the playoffs we are 100% in agreement.
I’ve often been critical of Prescott but we shouldn't base our entire analysis or measurement solely on a playoff game.

He did take us to Divisional round. Something only 4 teams achieved in each conference.

Unfortunately sometimes we must accept we lose to better teams. SF obviously isn’t a good matchup for us and they have been to NFC Champ game multiple times and a SB in recent years so they are definitely the more proven team.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Or maybe...
how come all of a sudden all the previous regular season success of both calling and executing comes to a complete standstill at the execution phase when playoffs arise?
Was the playcaller supposed to add in Dak's ear prior to the snap
If there's open field feel free to run, if the original play call has the 1st read blanketed don't still throw that pass...

And on and on.
It's in the execution, no?
So in that sense it does not matter formation or anything else.
It again comes down to decision making with ball in hand.
Regardless of play call.
Regular season or playoffs.
How is it ranked so good if the execution is bad? Again if the execution is bad then the offense would be bad...would it not?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I’ve often been critical of Prescott but we shouldn't base our entire analysis or measurement solely on a playoff game.

He did take us to Divisional round. Something only 4 teams achieved in each conference.

Unfortunately sometimes we must accept we lose to better teams. SF obviously isn’t a good matchup for us and they have been to NFC Champ game multiple times and a SB in recent years so they are definitely the more proven team.
I agree but in the context of this argument the only factual conclusion is KM can not post the 2nd best offense with a QB who is killing his scheme, it just doesnt make sense. But when faced with a better team niether did anything to help the other....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed! I think the OP agrees with you here too.

"2nd best offense productive wise" - I think you already see the (potential) fallacy here, because of the way you know you have to state it. Stats matter to a certain point, I will argue especially in the reg. reason. Playoffs in the NFL are radically different football.
How did the super productive regular season but not postseason scheme look against the Buccaneers the week before the 49ers?

It's not the coordinator. It's the fraud you have behind the center.

Kellen Moore joins a long line of scapegoats this year. Next year is McCarthy's turn. Round and round we go.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How did the super productive regular season but not postseason scheme look against the Buccaneers the week before the 49ers?

It's not the coordinator. It's the fraud you have behind the center.

Kellen Moore joins a long line of scapegoats this year. Next year is McCarthy's turn. Round and round we go.
So the OC's performance the week before was great but the QB's was soley because the team they played? Wouldn't "They played a bad team" cover both individuals? KM was calling plays vs the same TB team correct?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the OC's performance the week before was great but the QB's was soley because the team they played? Wouldn't "They played a bad team" cover both individuals? KM was calling plays vs the same TB team correct?
Whenever this fraud QB faces a top defense he crumbles. Completely falls apart at the first sign of adversity.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Whenever this fraud QB faces a top defense he crumbles. Completely falls apart at the first sign of adversity.
Could the same not be said about the OC's scheme though? Again hopefully we see a change this year, maybe not but it should shine light on what the issue was.. Now all kidding aside, I dont care how we rank in scoring offense, I do care how we rank in efficiency because that cant be bloated with 50 score games.

75boyz

Reaction score
Playoff level competition and more specifically, the 49ers the last 2 years have challenged the OC's ability to match or overcome 49er defensive personnel. No doubt.
But even with that said, do I think a different QB executing the same plays Moore called could have beaten the 49ers?
Yes, I do.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Playoff level competition and more specifically, the 49ers the last 2 years have challenged the OC's ability to match or overcome 49er defensive personnel. No doubt.
But even with that said, do I think a different QB executing the same plays Moore called could have beaten the 49ers?
Yes, I do.
And that cant be ruled out until we see it, my thing is if its Mahomes that can make it work and no one else then I still say the OC scheme needs tweaking.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but in the context of this argument the only factual conclusion is KM can not post the 2nd best offense with a QB who is killing his scheme, it just doesnt make sense. But when faced with a better team niether did anything to help the other....
It’s always difficult measuring the coaches impact and effect. Usually good coaching is expected to place the player in best position to succeed. Ultimately the player has to execute. And sometimes the opponent impedes those efforts .

All too often the coaching gets credit with success and blame when failing. It can go either way.

I wouldn’t necessarily point the finger at Moore. Sometimes teams make a change solely to make a change . It can be simply to stave off public perception and or criticism . A scapegoat so to speak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, I do.
Could be . Depends who it is. All we can do is go with who brought us to the dance .

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It’s always difficult measuring the coaches impact and effect. Usually good coaching is expected to place the player in best position to succeed. Ultimately the player has to execute. And sometimes the opponent impedes those efforts .

All too often the coaching gets credit with success and blame when failing. It can go either way.

I wouldn’t necessarily point the finger at Moore. Sometimes teams make a change solely to make a change . It can be simply to stave off public perception and or criticism . A scapegoat so to speak.
I mean we know the issue, the site would shut down if we all just said "Yup Jerry is the problem" as we all know thats it. I give props to the posters here we do creative thinking to keep the site busy..lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He definitely struggles against the top defenses . But so do most QB’s. That’s why they are the top defense .

I’m not sure why we expect a QB with Prescott skill set to overcome greater opponents ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean we know the issue, the site would shut down if we all just said "Yup Jerry is the problem" as we all know thats it. I give props to the posters here we do creative thinking to keep the site busy..lol
And that is the core issue. It impacts all decisions .

Honestly I’m impressed we’re able to even field as competitive team as we do with Jethro’s foolishness running football operations . Lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He definitely struggles against the top defenses . But so do most QB’s. That’s why they are the top defense .

I’m not sure why we expect a QB with Prescott skill set to overcome greater opponents ?
I don't. So I want to surround him with great weapons. One too many rather than one too few.

75boyz

Reaction score
And that cant be ruled out until we see it, my thing is if its Mahomes that can make it work and no one else then I still say the OC scheme needs tweaking.
I wouldn't limit that QB list to just Mahommes. And as Ive said I definitely support anything returning to Linehan's 2016 version of offense.

But yep, as for the new OC scheme...Good luck to McCarthy as he's gonna need it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't. So I want to surround him with great weapons. One too many rather than one too few.
Sure, but it takes a great front office to perform such a task. We have Jethro and Son. Amazing we’ve mustered a playoff team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bottomline IMO:

We aren’t one of the best teams nor have one of the best QB’s. Making a Divisional Round is about as much as I’d expect with them.

75boyz

Reaction score
Bottomline IMO:

We aren’t one of the best teams nor have one of the best QB’s. Making a Divisional Round is about as much as I’d expect with them.
And Jerry is okay with that too, lol.