QB Market Dilemma - Who's Your Cheap Guy Not a Rookie

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Since I know there will be a lazy answer out that suggests hoping on a Rookie Contract is better than going with a vet who has been in the League and trained for a few years with professional teams and most likely had experience..

Put your name on a vet QB whom would be under 20M per year that most likely has a better chance than a rookie non-FRP.

Last time I looked at contracts there was a major drop off for vets making like 25M to 13M per year. That 13M per year player was Garner Minshew.

Since this board is so pro taking advantage of rookie contracts(taking advantage of players)...who is your next go to if not for a rookie.

I dont need explanations of "rookie is a better bet than a proven non-producer". You cant have your cake and eat it to in this thread. Cheap is cheap and you cant have a rookie deal.

Put your name on a vet that has been given the opportunity to stay in the league past his rook deal by paid professionals as a back up.

If you want a cheap QB...who is your guy that you believe in. You cant say no one because this board is pro-hate bus drivers that havent won a Super Bowl.

All you Bus Driver haters that want cheap play...name your QB not on a rookie deal. This is for all QB's that are 2nd string and 3rd string...there are no rules about trades that cant be done because of League rules and what not. Name all possible QB's even if the trade is not possible.

Is Garner Minshew at 13M who this board is willing to roll with, with all 40M extra from hypothetical Dak departure going to putting a team around him?

Im not pro or con Minshew...he is only an example of last time I looked at QB averages.

Who are your cheap, non-rookie contract QB's you would sign IF YOU COULD.

There is no "this isnt how the NFL works...they go rook QB's instead of vet min QB's". Who is your non-rookie contract QB if paying market value is bad?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Just like all the drama in other threads...

No one responds because they want polar opposites.

Be Michael Jordan or get paid unfair wages

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Russell Wilson would be pretty good in Dallas’ offense. Part of his issue in Denver is they were asking him to be a QB who he isn’t. McCarthy would be able to figure that out
Isn't he paid a lot? Or has he been released and willing to take a pay cut?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Isn't he paid a lot? Or has he been released and willing to take a pay cut?
Big paycut. I think he makes close to league minimum due to offset language in the Broncos deal.

And even without the offset language, due to how much Denver has tarnished his reputation, he won’t be making much more than Minshew.

Also really like the Sam Darnold fit in Minnesota. I think we’re gonna see some really good things out of him this year, and he’ll allow them to sit JJ. He played well in Carolina under the circumstances, and it’s hard to blame anyone for failing in NYJ.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Big paycut. I think he makes close to league minimum due to offset language in the Broncos deal.

And even without the offset language, due to how much Denver has tarnished his reputation, he won’t be making much more than Minshew
I'm not a couch qb coach....but I use to like his decision making. Seemed like he would always use his legs to buy time and if nothing materialized he was always aware to throw it out of bounds.

Dak is safe with ball too. But he doesn't seem to have the "throw it out of bounds" thinking Russell had.

Again...I'm not looking up INT numbers....just focusing on Russell's willingness to throw it out of bounds instead of a pick.

Granted...I hated Brady for giving up plays by throwing into the ground. I can't have it both ways

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Russ Wilson, jacoby Brissett and Sam darnold come to mind. Winston is an interesting name that I’m surprised hasn’t been given another chance to start.

They’re technically still on rookie deals but there are some other guys around the league like a Sam howell that I would take a flier on to compete for a spot too.

HungryLion

Reaction score

And even without the offset language, due to how much Denver has tarnished his reputation, he won’t be making much more than Minshew.

Also really like the Sam Darnold fit in Minnesota. I think we’re gonna see some really good things out of him this year, and he’ll allow them to sit JJ. He played well in Carolina under the circumstances, and it’s hard to blame anyone for failing in NYJ.
That would be a fascinating turn of events.

It’s always interesting to see the late bloomer QB’s who hang around the league for a while and then all of a sudden the light finally clicks on and they can play or the circumstances change into a situation that allows them to bloom.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'm not a couch qb coach....but I use to like his decision making. Seemed like he would always use his legs to buy time and if nothing materialized he was always aware to throw it out of bounds.

Dak is safe with ball too. But he doesn't seem to have the "throw it out of bounds" thinking Russell had.

Again...I'm not looking up INT numbers....just focusing on Russell's willingness to throw it out of bounds instead of a pick.

Granted...I hated Brady for giving up plays by throwing into the ground. I can't have it both ways
Seattle random a bit of an improvisational system. “Run this simple play, figure out what the defense is doing, and create a scenario to take advantage of it.” Russ excelled when he could create his own highlights.

Denver was the Aaron Rodgers timing system of “the receiver will be at this exact spot in 1.75 seconds. After the snap, put the ball there immediately or you’re F’ed.” Thats just not Russ’s game. He may not be a top 10 QB anymore, but he’s not as bad as Denver made him out to be.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ok...you got me on Wilson.

Whom else?
Jameis Winston was a really good get for Cleveland. He signed for 4m$, and has 3 4000 yard passing seasons in his 3 full seasons as a starter. Hes up and down with turnover issues, but on an offense as loaded as Dallas he’d be an ideal bridge QB to a rookie down the road.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Jameis Winston was a really good get for Cleveland. He signed for 4m$, and has 3 4000 yard passing seasons in his 3 full seasons as a starter. Hes up and down with turnover issues, but on an offense as loaded as Dallas he’d be an ideal bridge QB to a rookie down the road.
Not a bad name for cheap.

Thanks for your responses

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not a bad name for cheap.

Thanks for your responses
Geno Smith is another, maybe the most ideal candidate. He is going into his second year of a 3 year deal, which means 2025 would be the third year and he has a 38m$ cap hit due to backloading. Seattle would save 25m$ by cutting him, and based on how their 2024 goes that’s almost a guarantee (unless he goes nuts and they decided not to draft another QB but give him a megadeal… which seems unrealistic).

So he then would be a FA next offseason, and I don’t believe he’ll get 20m$ AAV unless someone is really desperate.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Since I know there will be a lazy answer out that suggests hoping on a Rookie Contract is better than going with a vet who has been in the League and trained for a few years with professional teams and most likely had experience..

Put your name on a vet QB whom would be under 20M per year that most likely has a better chance than a rookie non-FRP.

Last time I looked at contracts there was a major drop off for vets making like 25M to 13M per year. That 13M per year player was Garner Minshew.

Since this board is so pro taking advantage of rookie contracts(taking advantage of players)...who is your next go to if not for a rookie.

I dont need explanations of "rookie is a better bet than a proven non-producer". You cant have your cake and eat it to in this thread. Cheap is cheap and you cant have a rookie deal.

Put your name on a vet that has been given the opportunity to stay in the league past his rook deal by paid professionals as a back up.

If you want a cheap QB...who is your guy that you believe in. You cant say no one because this board is pro-hate bus drivers that havent won a Super Bowl.

All you Bus Driver haters that want cheap play...name your QB not on a rookie deal. This is for all QB's that are 2nd string and 3rd string...there are no rules about trades that cant be done because of League rules and what not. Name all possible QB's even if the trade is not possible.

Is Garner Minshew at 13M who this board is willing to roll with, with all 40M extra from hypothetical Dak departure going to putting a team around him?

Im not pro or con Minshew...he is only an example of last time I looked at QB averages.

Who are your cheap, non-rookie contract QB's you would sign IF YOU COULD.

There is no "this isnt how the NFL works...they go rook QB's instead of vet min QB's". Who is your non-rookie contract QB if paying market value is bad?
Well, whos yours?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Geno Smith is another, maybe the most ideal candidate. He is going into his second year of a 3 year deal, which means 2025 would be the third year and he has a 38m$ cap hit due to backloading. Seattle would save 25m$ by cutting him, and based on how their 2024 goes that’s almost a guarantee (unless he goes nuts and they decided not to draft another QB but give him a megadeal… which seems unrealistic).

So he then would be a FA next offseason, and I don’t believe he’ll get 20m$ AAV unless someone is really desperate.
Ok ok

what about guys that have had some serious time that wouldnt cost much. whats that kids name that played for like tennessee and then another team....he is a weird mix of races...they have shown his parents in a box....its like a weird small monk of a father with a larger african woman as a mom...the parents look like complete opposites. forget his name. hes a journey man but has played some playoffs.

Im spit balling. but yeah...Wilson, Winston seem like more will known players...even Smith. But this kid has played some in big situations...not saying he is Wilson or Winston material at all.

Im just looking for non-rookie contract names. Wilson and Winston are solid even if some thing they suck.