QB Market Dilemma - Who's Your Cheap Guy Not a Rookie

FanofJerry

Reaction score
McCarthy would get out of him what Pete and Sean couldn’t? He’s cooked.
Im not hating on your comment...i get it...

But...is Wilson not value at 1.2M?

Are you saying he is that bad that he is not worth a contract in todays NFL? His flaws are that bad vs a 50M contract?

Im genuinely asking. Not hating.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Ok ok

what about guys that have had some serious time that wouldnt cost much. whats that kids name that played for like tennessee and then another team....he is a weird mix of races...they have shown his parents in a box....its like a weird small monk of a father with a larger african woman as a mom...the parents look like complete opposites. forget his name. hes a journey man but has played some playoffs.

Im spit balling. but yeah...Wilson, Winston seem like more will known players...even Smith. But this kid has played some in big situations...not saying he is Wilson or Winston material at all.

Im just looking for non-rookie contract names. Wilson and Winston are solid even if some thing they suck.
Josh Dobbs is the guy I was thinking of with weird parent types.

Ive seen him in small doses play well.

I get that the board would rather go rookie...but that isnt possible in this thread.

Just read 49ers scooped him...so maybe im not crazy

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ok ok

what about guys that have had some serious time that wouldnt cost much. whats that kids name that played for like tennessee and then another team....he is a weird mix of races...they have shown his parents in a box....its like a weird small monk of a father with a larger african woman as a mom...the parents look like complete opposites. forget his name. hes a journey man but has played some playoffs.

Im spit balling. but yeah...Wilson, Winston seem like more will known players...even Smith. But this kid has played some in big situations...not saying he is Wilson or Winston material at all.

Im just looking for non-rookie contract names. Wilson and Winston are solid even if some thing they suck.
Marcus Mariota? He’s had some good moments but he’s also has some really bad moments. Less trustworthy but you never know.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pete got a lot out of him, what do you mean?

Sean asked him to be Drew Brees, he’s not Drew Brees
Numbers last year under Sean really weren’t that bad either. He had a solid year on a bad team. Ultimately Russ isn’t the type of QB Sean Payton looks for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Im not hating on your comment...i get it...

But...is Wilson not value at 1.2M?

Are you saying he is that bad that he is not worth a contract in todays NFL? His flaws are that bad vs a 50M contract?

Im genuinely asking. Not hating.
I’d rather look elsewhere. I’d honestly rather have Jameis…Russ is in this weird space and im questioning whether he was as good as I thought or was he protected by Pete and the Legion of Boom.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pete got a lot out of him, what do you mean?

Sean asked him to be Drew Brees, he’s not Drew Brees
Pete got a lot out of prime Russ. By the end he was a shell of his former self and people keep thinking it’s scheme and the team rather than maybe this is what Russ is….

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Pete got a lot out of prime Russ. By the end he was a shell of his former self and people keep thinking it’s scheme and the team rather than maybe this is what Russ is….
2020 he was amazing, 2021 he had a hand injury early in the season and played injured while still putting up respectable stats. He never had a period in Seattle where he was an issue

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I’m for not having a backup. If the WB goes down, draft one early the next year. With that said it’s a little different if you’re in the playoffs and your QB goes down, so I do see the need for a backup QB, but only in the playoffs. Put me down for Minshew, he’s got an attitude and a gunslinger mentality I think would fit in well in Dallas. I think the fans would be behind him.

Motorola

Reaction score
Since I know there will be a lazy answer out that suggests hoping on a Rookie Contract is better than going with a vet who has been in the League and trained for a few years with professional teams and most likely had experience..

Put your name on a vet QB whom would be under 20M per year that most likely has a better chance than a rookie non-FRP.

Last time I looked at contracts there was a major drop off for vets making like 25M to 13M per year. That 13M per year player was Garner Minshew.

Since this board is so pro taking advantage of rookie contracts(taking advantage of players)...who is your next go to if not for a rookie.

I dont need explanations of "rookie is a better bet than a proven non-producer". You cant have your cake and eat it to in this thread. Cheap is cheap and you cant have a rookie deal.

Put your name on a vet that has been given the opportunity to stay in the league past his rook deal by paid professionals as a back up.

If you want a cheap QB...who is your guy that you believe in. You cant say no one because this board is pro-hate bus drivers that havent won a Super Bowl.

All you Bus Driver haters that want cheap play...name your QB not on a rookie deal. This is for all QB's that are 2nd string and 3rd string...there are no rules about trades that cant be done because of League rules and what not. Name all possible QB's even if the trade is not possible.

Is Garner Minshew at 13M who this board is willing to roll with, with all 40M extra from hypothetical Dak departure going to putting a team around him?

Im not pro or con Minshew...he is only an example of last time I looked at QB averages.

Who are your cheap, non-rookie contract QB's you would sign IF YOU COULD.

There is no "this isnt how the NFL works...they go rook QB's instead of vet min QB's". Who is your non-rookie contract QB if paying market value is bad?
FoJ - if you're going to make a thread about vet QBs the Cowboys could pursue to replace Prescott...at least do some research.
You mentioned Gardner Minshew twice...don't you know 2 & 1/2 months ago -March 11th - the Raiders signed him to a 2-year deal for $25 million...with $15 million guaranteed?
He was brought aboard to compete with Aiden O'Connell- the incumbent starter who as a rookie started 10 games after then interim HC Antonio Pierce benched Jimmy Garoppolo 1/3 into the 2023 season.
So pending this how the 2024 plays out - Minshew is way down the list on being the next Cowboys starting QB - even if Prescott is not extended.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
FoJ - if you're going to make a thread about vet QBs the Cowboys could pursue to replace Prescott...at least do some research.
You mentioned Gardner Minshew twice...don't you know 2 & 1/2 months ago -March 11th - the Raiders signed him to a 2-year deal for $25 million...with $15 million guaranteed?
He was brought aboard to compete with Aiden O'Connell- the incumbent starter who as a rookie started 10 games after then interim HC Antonio Pierce benched Jimmy Garoppolo 1/3 into the 2023 season.
So pending this how the 2024 plays out - Minshew is way down the list on being the next Cowboys starting QB - even if Prescott is not extended.
Im not doing research on a sham. This isnt real.

I asked for posters to reply with their non-rookie contract QBs if a decent to good Bus Driver is not good enough. Show me your mid to lower class non-rookie contract list.

Nothing more...nothing less. At least thats what I intended.

My whole point is...rookies arent experienced, nor have the 1-4 years of training that a vet on his second deal has. To say that the 4 years of knowledge in a pro sport has no value and going with a rookie is smarter counter intuitive. I get that rookie contracts and potential is better....but Im saying you cant have that in this thread.

4 years of experience and less than 20M per year is still not good enough? Its Michael Jordan or rookie contract?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2020 he was amazing, 2021 he had a hand injury early in the season and played injured while still putting up respectable stats. He never had a period in Seattle where he was an issue
Well the ex players seem to disagree. Ironically since his have injury he’s stunk,,,,

Motorola

Reaction score

I asked for posters to reply with their non-rookie contract QBs if a decent to good Bus Driver is not good enough. Show me your mid to lower class non-rookie contract list.

My whole point is...rookies arent experienced, nor have the 1-4 years of training that a vet on his second deal has. To say that the 4 years of knowledge in a pro sport has no value and going with a rookie is smarter counter intuitive. I get that rookie contracts and potential is better....but Im saying you cant have that in this thread.

4 years of experience and less than 20M per year is still not good enough? Its Michael Jordan or rookie contract?
You mentioning Michael Jordan in the last statement of your reply - when the discussionis about a viable NFL quarterback ---!?!?!?

Let's refocus on your initial comment - it appears to me you prefer a veteran QB already in the league to be the next starting QB for the Cowboys, versus a prospect in the 2025 draft.
My response to you was that you seemed fixated on Minshew------unaware he was awarded an opportunity to be a starting QB elsewhere for the next two seasons --- plus you didn't suggest any other veteran QB in the league by name.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I ignore poster thread rules. If Dak’s gone, I want a high #1 draft pick.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You mentioning Michael Jordan in the last statement of your reply - when the discussionis about a viable NFL quarterback ---!?!?!?

Let's refocus on your initial comment - it appears to me you prefer a veteran QB to be the next starting QB for the Cowboys versus prospect in the 2025 draft (yet to be determined).
My response to you was that you seemed unaware that Minshew was awarded an opportunity to be a starting QB elsewhere for the next two seasons --and
You got me. He was offered a starting position.

Now what?

I was wrong on Minshew not being 2nd or 3rd string? Im wrong. My point still stands.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Holy smokes..1.2M.

Seems like a steal
He sees himself as a $40 million QB, which is what he’s being paid this season. The Denver Broncos are paying him $39 million and the Steelers are paying him $1.2 million. He is a free agent after this season

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
my hot take I’ll make water cooler…

Russ was never all that.

People underrated him early because of the defense, and then we all over corrected.

Motorola

Reaction score
You got me. He was offered a starting position.

Now what?

I was wrong on Minshew not being 2nd or 3rd string? Im wrong. My point still stands.
So to be clear - if the Cowboys don't extend \ resign Prescott to a new contract (it's going to happen in some form or fashion IMO) - you prefer the team signing a veteran QB to compete for the starting QB position versus drafting a prospect on day one or two in the 2025 draft?