QB Market Dilemma - Who's Your Cheap Guy Not a Rookie

FanofJerry

Reaction score
So to be clear - if the Cowboys don't extend \ resign Prescott to a new contract (it's going to happen in some form or fashion IMO) - you prefer the team signing a veteran QB to compete for the starting QB position versus drafting a prospect on day one or two in the 2025 draft?
Can you read, dude?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
So which veteran QB DO YOU WANT (besides Minshew) to be the the Cowboys QB in 2025 (if Prescott is not
I think taking advantage of cheap labor is scummy.

I want decently paid vet with experience.

Sure...the market sucks. But not as much as taking advantage of people.

Rookie contract talk is disgusting to me. Most don't win a super bowl before second contract.

Give me a 15M to 35M per guy that can drive the bus since that's all DAk can do supposedly.

So I said name those guys.

Sure...draft a guy and school him...if he is showing legit talent start him and see what happens. But I'm not for using a cheap qb just to use him

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Name the guys or don't post.

This isn't a Dak thread.

It's a name your non rookie qb thread.

Is asking the mods for help to clean this up so unreasonable

FanofJerry

Reaction score
There are veteran First Round Qbs available but this board wants us to spend a FRP on a new guy....because he is First Round.

I don't agree with that.

There are FRP Qbs not in the league from 3 years ago....why are they not viable options? They were FRPs.

It's stupid.

Name your non rookie contract qb or find another thread

jujoboys

Reaction score
Big paycut. I think he makes close to league minimum due to offset language in the Broncos deal.

And even without the offset language, due to how much Denver has tarnished his reputation, he won’t be making much more than Minshew.

Also really like the Sam Darnold fit in Minnesota. I think we’re gonna see some really good things out of him this year, and he’ll allow them to sit JJ. He played well in Carolina under the circumstances, and it’s hard to blame anyone for failing in NYJ.
Russell Wilson is still being paid $37.8 million by Denver this year and $1.2 by Pittsburgh for a total of $39 million. Dak’s salary for 2024 is $29 million.

Motorola

Reaction score
I think taking advantage of cheap labor is scummy.

I want decently paid vet with experience.

Sure...the market sucks. But not as much as taking advantage of people.

Rookie contract talk is disgusting to me. Most don't win a super bowl before second contract.

Give me a 15M to 35M per guy that can drive the bus since that's all DAk can do supposedly.

So I said name those guys.

Sure...draft a guy and school him...if he is showing legit talent start him and see what happens. But I'm not for using a cheap qb just to use him
'FanofJerry' - I sincerely appreciate your response.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
my hot take I’ll make water cooler…

Russ was never all that.

People underrated him early because of the defense, and then we all over corrected.
I agree 100 percent. I’m starting to come to grips with that. I don’t think he was as good as we thought….

RoboQB

Reaction score
Since I know there will be a lazy answer out that suggests hoping on a Rookie Contract is better than going with a vet who has been in the League and trained for a few years with professional teams and most likely had experience..

Put your name on a vet QB whom would be under 20M per year that most likely has a better chance than a rookie non-FRP.

Last time I looked at contracts there was a major drop off for vets making like 25M to 13M per year. That 13M per year player was Garner Minshew.

Since this board is so pro taking advantage of rookie contracts(taking advantage of players)...who is your next go to if not for a rookie.

I dont need explanations of "rookie is a better bet than a proven non-producer". You cant have your cake and eat it to in this thread. Cheap is cheap and you cant have a rookie deal.

Put your name on a vet that has been given the opportunity to stay in the league past his rook deal by paid professionals as a back up.

If you want a cheap QB...who is your guy that you believe in. You cant say no one because this board is pro-hate bus drivers that havent won a Super Bowl.

All you Bus Driver haters that want cheap play...name your QB not on a rookie deal. This is for all QB's that are 2nd string and 3rd string...there are no rules about trades that cant be done because of League rules and what not. Name all possible QB's even if the trade is not possible.

Is Garner Minshew at 13M who this board is willing to roll with, with all 40M extra from hypothetical Dak departure going to putting a team around him?

Im not pro or con Minshew...he is only an example of last time I looked at QB averages.

Who are your cheap, non-rookie contract QB's you would sign IF YOU COULD.

There is no "this isnt how the NFL works...they go rook QB's instead of vet min QB's". Who is your non-rookie contract QB if paying market value is bad?
I'll play along. Just for kicks.
Here's a couple names:

Davis Mills, Texans,
He’s been a season starter. Has some talent. With a talented roster, Mills could be a transition QB if Dak were to leave and Lance doesn't work out. Mills is 26 years old.

Jake Browning, Bengals
This one would be tricky. I think Cincy has exclusive rights to him. He showed out very well after Burrow went down.
So, not sure if he qualifies dollar-wise to your post.
He might get a contract similar to Minshew. Or, maybe he'll go the Mayfield route where Baker bet on himself as a 1-year starter in TB for $5M.

Anyway, just some thoughts and scenarios.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I agree 100 percent. I’m starting to come to grips with that. I don’t think he was as good as we thought….
When I watch him, he reminds me of Dak. Don’t want to harp on Prescott because we all kind of understand that situation. But he’s only, MAYBE slightly better, but seemingly cornier and without the respect of his teammates.

Aven8

Reaction score
Since I know there will be a lazy answer out that suggests hoping on a Rookie Contract is better than going with a vet who has been in the League and trained for a few years with professional teams and most likely had experience..

Put your name on a vet QB whom would be under 20M per year that most likely has a better chance than a rookie non-FRP.

Last time I looked at contracts there was a major drop off for vets making like 25M to 13M per year. That 13M per year player was Garner Minshew.

Since this board is so pro taking advantage of rookie contracts(taking advantage of players)...who is your next go to if not for a rookie.

I dont need explanations of "rookie is a better bet than a proven non-producer". You cant have your cake and eat it to in this thread. Cheap is cheap and you cant have a rookie deal.

Put your name on a vet that has been given the opportunity to stay in the league past his rook deal by paid professionals as a back up.

If you want a cheap QB...who is your guy that you believe in. You cant say no one because this board is pro-hate bus drivers that havent won a Super Bowl.

All you Bus Driver haters that want cheap play...name your QB not on a rookie deal. This is for all QB's that are 2nd string and 3rd string...there are no rules about trades that cant be done because of League rules and what not. Name all possible QB's even if the trade is not possible.

Is Garner Minshew at 13M who this board is willing to roll with, with all 40M extra from hypothetical Dak departure going to putting a team around him?

Im not pro or con Minshew...he is only an example of last time I looked at QB averages.

Who are your cheap, non-rookie contract QB's you would sign IF YOU COULD.

There is no "this isnt how the NFL works...they go rook QB's instead of vet min QB's". Who is your non-rookie contract QB if paying market value is bad?
Give me Jake Browning from Cincy. Joe Burrows backup. The kid can play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When I watch him, he reminds me of Dak. Don’t want to harp on Prescott because we all kind of understand that situation. But he’s only, MAYBE slightly better, but seemingly cornier and without the respect of his teammates.
I mean he’s Dak except with the Legion of Boom and Marshawn lol.