QB Options without Dak in 2025

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think Staffod could win another SB here.

6 Candidates to Replace Dak Prescott as Cowboys QB in 2025​

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/dallas...s#gid=ci02e1ecb9500027b4&pid=matthew-stafford
Matt Stafford could win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys? :laugh: He led the league in INT‘s the year he won the Super Bowl with a loaded Rams team. He even had two INT’s in the Super Bowl. Stafford is going to be 36 and is in decline. Dak is better than him. I’m not interested in any of the QB’s mentioned in that link. I would rather draft a QB than go with any of them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of those options are interesting to me at all as I would rather have Prescott over any of them.

I think when Prescott is eventually replaced, it should be by a quarterback drafted in the first round by the Cowboys in the current or previous year's draft.

As for Lance .. outside of being a third overall draft pick by another team who moved on from him within 2 years, Lance has not proven he's even worth a mid-tier NFL quarterback contract, at least to this point.

Hopefully, he does well in the upcoming preseason when he gets a chance to show what a full season and off-season of work with the Cowboys offensive staff has done.

plymkr

Reaction score
I need a couple weeks to see for sure but I'm going with Lance.
I also would like to see what Lance can do. He’s young, raw and got a lot of physical tools. I would hate to sign any aging QB to a 30-40 million APY when we have no idea what we have with a young guy. What I’m hoping for is Lance wins the TC battle over Rush, we cut Rush, sign Lance to an extension paying 5-7 million APY for 2 to 3 years to be the backup or bridge.

Basically what I’m saying is if we don’t extend Dak I want our “bridge QB” for 25 and 26 to be Lance because he’s young, has starter experience and would not command a high salary. Then if he pans out keep him, if not use the high draft picks to look for a QB.

The one thing I definitely don’t want to do is sign a QB on the downside of his career for 40 APY or so and then go 7-10 and be mediocre enough to not get a high draft pick. So no Carr, Stafford, Wilson, or a QB like that. I would rather go Lance, Fields, Mac Jones or a QB like that and see if we can strike gold on the cheap and develop him or use that QB and their 5 million APY to build a strong roster for a blue chip QB with a top five pick.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also would like to see what Lance can do. He’s young, raw and got a lot of physical tools. I would hate to sign any aging QB to a 30-40 million APY when we have no idea what we have with a young guy. What I’m hoping for is Lance wins the TC battle over Rush, we cut Rush, sign Lance to an extension paying 5-7 million APY for 2 to 3 years to be the backup or bridge.

Basically what I’m saying is if we don’t extend Dak I want our “bridge QB” for 25 and 26 to be Lance because he’s young, has starter experience and would not command a high salary. Then if he pans out keep him, if not use the high draft picks to look for a QB.

The one thing I definitely don’t want to do is sign a QB on the downside of his career for 40 APY or so and then go 7-10 and be mediocre enough to not get a high draft pick. So no Carr, Stafford, Wilson, or a QB like that. I would rather go Lance, Fields, Mac Jones or a QB like that and see if we can strike gold on the cheap and develop him or use that QB and their 5 million APY to build a strong roster for a blue chip QB with a top five pick.
Yeah, that's pretty much my plan, anybody who understands the game and what you're watching knows Dak isn't going to survive the playoffs EVER. So if Lance looks good in TC, continue to evaluate through pre season, if he looks good, give him a shot during the season, either he's the guy, or you're in position to draft THE GUY in 2025.
We are not challenging for the Super Bowl this year, so it's a perfect time to solidify the team for the future. Including players and coaches.

plymkr

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this .......I honestly believe THIS is a short-term answer until they find his replacement.
My List
  • Stafford..maybe
  • Cousins..........strong
  • Derrek Carr...strong
  • Justin Fields....interesting
  • Russell Wilson....strong
  • Geno Smith......dark horse
Ideally my first option would be Dak signing an extension for 30-40 APY and then drafting a guy to replace him in 24 or 25. Since that won’t happen if have a 3 tier wish list considering the players you listed.

So out of those guys I would go:
Fields, Lance, Smith: if the price tag is 5-10 million APY. That would be my tier 1. Go the route Seattle did last year with Geno Smith with an under 20 APY salary. Fields and Lance could go probably under 10.

Stafford, Carr, Wilson I would not want unless it’s on a 1 year prove it deal for cheap, again Ala Geno Smith. Stafford, Cousins, Carr and Wilson might be good enough to get us out of a good draft position but not make the playoffs. That would be tier 2

Tier 3 would be any cast off suck guys that we would just line up to tank with, such as Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Dobbs. These guys are very cheap and young enough that it is possible they could develop but not likely. Possible they can be good but not probable. Like Lance is a guy I see as a possibility he can be good and surprise us but it’s not probable. The reason I put him in tier 1 is because he is already here and knows the offense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That depends on performance, actual skills under pressure. If he's the real deal, either give him a package or if needed tag him for 2025?
You don't understand........
  • He's not playing this season unless Dak has a season-ending injury or our season goes south and once we are out of playoff contention
  • Tag him 2025????? That's $38M for a QB who has not played any regular season games for this team.
  • Early reports suggest it's unlikely he can beat out Rush head-to-head as Dak's backup but will likely get the job by default.

plymkr

Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty much my plan, anybody who understands the game and what you're watching knows Dak isn't going to survive the playoffs EVER. So if Lance looks good in TC, continue to evaluate through pre season, if he looks good, give him a shot during the season, either he's the guy, or you're in position to draft THE GUY in 2025.
We are not challenging for the Super Bowl this year, so it's a perfect time to solidify the team for the future. Including players and coaches.
I agree

plymkr

Reaction score
Early reports suggest it's unlikely he can beat out Rush head-to-head as Dak's backup but will likely get the job by default.
I think he gets the job regardless of how he plays in the preseason based on his former draft status, the 4th we have up for him and Jerry’s way of wanting what he wants. It’s not fair to Rush but I think that is what will happen. It’s such a Jerry move. I also think with Lance as the backup, if Dak were to go down and Lance comes in we probably lose games with Lance that we would have won with Rush. I’m rooting for Lance, he’s one of my pet cats but attempting to be unbiased I feel Rush would be a better backup but Jerry will force Lance and will hurt the team cuz of it. Hopefully I’m wrong and Lance balls out if he is needed but as a said in an earlier post, it’s POSSIBLE but not PROBABLE. And Jerry makes decisions based on hope and possibility.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he gets the job regardless of how he plays in the preseason based on his former draft status, the 4th we have up for him and Jerry’s way of wanting what he wants. It’s not fair to Rush but I think that is what will happen. It’s such a Jerry move. I also think with Lance as the backup, if Dak were to go down and Lance comes in we probably lose games with Lance that we would have won with Rush. I’m rooting for Lance, he’s one of my pet cats but attempting to be unbiased I feel Rush would be a better backup but Jerry will force Lance and will hurt the team cuz of it. Hopefully I’m wrong and Lance balls out if he is needed but as a said in an earlier post, it’s POSSIBLE but not PROBABLE. And Jerry makes decisions based on hope and possibility.
If he can't beat out Rush in honest competition, what does that tell you? He's nowhere near ready to be an NFL starter and have his own team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this .......I honestly believe THIS is a short-term answer until they find his replacement.
My List
  • Stafford..maybe
  • Cousins..........strong
  • Derrek Carr...strong
  • Justin Fields....interesting
  • Russell Wilson....strong
  • Geno Smith......dark horse
Yep, the main take from that is that there are SHORT-TERM alternatives that can be used as we 'spend' the CAP savings on the two Lines and team. I suppose the problem is that waiting for 2024 to end and looking at ALL options, is the sensible thing to do.......we're talking talking Jerry, he's bound to mess it up (one way or the other).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think when Prescott is eventually replaced, it should be by a quarterback drafted in the first round by the Cowboys in the current or previous year's draft
Oh, every fan would love this......but it is risky
  • Our best QBs since we drafted Akiman were lucky strikes ( Romo as FA and Dak as a 4th-rounder who was Jerry's 3rd choice to replace Romo)
  • What are the odds of getting that kind of luck a 3rd time?
  • I agree we should draft his replacement but I don't trust Jerry to do.