QB Options without Dak in 2025

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whether we. as fans, like it or not, the powers that be are intent upon giving Trey Lance the opportunity to become our potential QB, whether it's as a backup or a starter. Obviously, many, if not most, of us would like to have a QB who's capable of being a long-term solution for this team, rather than one who's, perhaps not just that. In any event, our limited FO has seemingly decided to go through with the intention of giving Lance the opportunity that he's, somewhat desperately, trying to attain.

Let's not make him our enemy but rather, give a guy a chance to succeed, minus the prospect of attempting it, despite the negativity that prevails with some on this website. There's nothing wrong with assuming a positive attitude concerning this venture, folks! Fair is fair, after all is said and done.

If he fails, he fails but if he doesn't, maybe, just maybe, we can finally have a QB with a possibility of being a long-time solution to our woes. Is that too much to ask for an organization in our tenuous position? Let's try to make this thing work, if it's somehow possible. Lance isn't our enemy, by a long shot -- let's not make his job any more difficult that it already is. A little bit of positivity would help. Let's relax and help it along, if we can. ;)

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't understand........
  • He's not playing this season unless Dak has a season-ending injury or our season goes south and once we are out of playoff contention
  • Tag him 2025????? That's $38M for a QB who has not played any regular season games for this team.
  • Early reports suggest it's unlikely he can beat out Rush head-to-head as Dak's backup but will likely get the job by default.
I'm not sure you understand. if Trey looks better than Dak he'll be on the field. Dak will seek a trade before the deadline. This season will be a difficult start, we've drafted good OL, but they will struggle as all rookies do, especially in pass protection with this antiquated system. A mobile QB will be a must, as you saw in the fishing boat cast episode, Dak will never be able to scramble and make cuts on that ankle. If Dak does start, his value will disappear.
His best bet is to seek a multi year deal elsewhere with a good guaranteed money. IF Jerry was going to move forward with Dak, a deal would be done.

Early reports, lol, I'll trust my own reports.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm not sure you understand. if Trey looks better than Dak he'll be on the field. Dak will seek a trade before the deadline. This season will be a difficult start, we've drafted good OL, but they will struggle as all rookies do, especially in pass protection with this antiquated system. A mobile QB will be a must, as you saw in the fishing boat cast episode, Dak will never be able to scramble and make cuts on that ankle. If Dak does start, his value will disappear.
His best bet is to seek a multi year deal elsewhere with a good guaranteed money. IF Jerry was going to move forward with Dak, a deal would be done.

Early reports, lol, I'll trust my own reports.
LOL.....you doubled down. I will leave this alone

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I need a couple weeks to see for sure but I'm going with Lance.
My take. Not that it means anything but I honestly believe that if Lance played qb all season we would most likely have one of the worse records in the nfl and then we could draft a qb in the first round. Again, that's just my opinion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My take. Not that it means anything but I honestly believe that if Lance played qb all season we would most likely have one of the worse records in the nfl and then we could draft a qb in the first round. Again, that's just my opinion.
That says more about our team than lance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If this happens .....you either bench Dak or he has a season-ending injury.
Getting Lance ready will be the diffence.

Jerry probably has very little sympathy for Dak.

Dak made Jerry Man-Cry in front of millions during the last Playoff loss.

Then Dak wants a pay raise. lol.

boro

Reaction score
If I remember right, Murray has never lost in TX. It might just be our stadium going back to his high school days

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Staffod could win another SB here.

6 Candidates to Replace Dak Prescott as Cowboys QB in 2025​

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/dallas...s#gid=ci02e1ecb9500027b4&pid=matthew-stafford
Murray? sorry to me that's a step backwards. what has he done? they even had to put a clause in his contract for film study time..
Cousins? we complain about Dak. then replace him with Cousins who at best, at best is the same QB and about the same price...and older? why?
Tua? again, same thing. one hit away from retirement. hasn't accomplished much. just made it to post season with a LOADED team. so if everyone here complains about a QB carrying a team, then it will be a same issue with Tua and will be similar cost.
Sanders? its nostalgia. not sure how good he is. we have to wait out 25 NCAA season to see who emerges.

Stafford? people complained about Dak's interception. so what are they going to say about Stafford? he had a strong team. but showed he can then lead to superbowl and overcome his mistakes if he has the team around him. so is Cowboys as strong as Rams when they won the superbowl? if yes, then l am ok with Stafford.

Rodgers? 40+. coming off injury. hasn't won anything in 12 years. overall playoff record is 12-10, but he is 0-2 in the past 4 years. has the personality to lead the team, but at 40+ is he still capable.

unless we are a superbowl ready team, not sure if stafford and rodgers could lead us to championship.

Rodgers a sure HOFer. Stafford...hmmmm borderline? not sure.

and with that said, it doesn't solve our Jerry problem. is cowboys good enough for a superbowl? Not sure I buy that.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance was 3rd pick in 2021.

We got our next QB1.

Niners can keep Purdy.

He already lost a SB for them. Haha

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the plan
playing Trey is a win- win
Either you discover a gem, or you'll be in position to draft a diamond.
BTW everybody's take means something, it's a message board. :thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Matt Stafford could win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys? :laugh: He led the league in INT‘s the year he won the Super Bowl with a loaded Rams team. He even had two INT’s in the Super Bowl. Stafford is going to be 36 and is in decline. Dak is better than him. I’m not interested in any of the QB’s mentioned in that link. I would rather draft a QB than go with any of them.
I didn't read all of it I didn't see anything in there about winning a Super Bowl it says possible replacements but yeah that's some crazy list when most of them are either under contract or make a ton of money already they're not gonna take much less of a discount than we can get Prescott for I mean that's really a bad list I mean how is Kirk cousins gonna be available next year when he just signed a new deal why would you then trade draft picks for a guy and pay him a lot of money and he's not even gonna be as good as Prescott I mean most of those guys on the list are probably not gonna be available the ones that are either like you said aging over paid etcetera...

But like I said I don't think they're implying they can win a Super Bowl I think they're just candidates are listing has like bridge people until we find our next franchise guy..

I think the most comical one is to think Sanders is gonna be any good day one I mean how is he so far in college not impressing me I mean how is he a better option than Trey Lance I mean at this point he's a worse version of fields... That's pretty comical to me I mean I I don't even know how to laugh correctly that's suggesting Sanders somehow is gonna be a top choice to replace Prescott lol

Justin fields would be interesting if Pittsburgh decided not to keep him for whatever reason he would be an option I would look into I mean I don't have a list because I don't think Prescott's leaving but if he does we don't need to be worrying about that right now we need to be waiting until next year when we see who's truly available and what they're gonna cost but I'm not trading a single graphic to get a quarterback unless it's in the draft..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this .......I honestly believe THIS is a short-term answer until they find his replacement.
My List
  • Stafford..maybe
  • Cousins..........strong
  • Derrek Carr...strong
  • Justin Fields....interesting
  • Russell Wilson....strong
  • Geno Smith......dark horse
how in the world would you even consider cousins you would have to trade draft picks to get him they just signed into a new large deal and one year into that deal you're gonna take on his contract and the draft picks you would have to take to get him he's 100% off my list I'm not trading a single draft pick to bring a player over they're gonna have to be available if not you use those draft resources and you move up in the draft to get whoever might be available.. So we need to wait till next year to see who's cut from teams because I'm only picking up people who been cut but I don't want Derek Carr either..

The only actual people on that list is if Justin fields somehow is not kept by Pittsburgh I would give him a shot and Russell Wilson he's on Pittsburgh too so it's what out of those two guys they pick one? But yeah Geno Smith somehow released but again I am not trading a single draft pick to get any guys on that list.. If you're gonna trade draft picks and pay some of these guys the money they might demand you might as well keep Prescott that should be the point of this entire thread it's so ridiculous trying so hard to replace Prescott when the guys right here with no draft picks all you gotta do is give him a new deal.....

This is just a perfect example of way way too soon to discuss because we don't know who's available what they're gonna cost and for sure not giving up draft picks for any of those types...