QB Patrick Mahomes says he's not worried about getting passed over by other QBs in contract numbers

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How did he get paid early by signing a longer term contract?

He would have been much better off to do the traditional 5 year deal and negotiate another deal five years down the road at the new market rate rather than lock in at current market rate for 10 years.

He got a small signing bonus and the contract was structured with the majority being in annual "roster bonuses" which pay him if he is on the roster on a certain date (mid March) every season. He did the opposite of "get paid early".

In no way did he do the smartest thing from an entirely financial perspective. He left money on the table and gave the team flexibility. But like he said himself, He got all he needs to be set for life AND he wants to chase the legacy.

He wins, the team wins, the fans win.
he got a 450M contract. there is a rule how much of a contract can be a bonus (actually I think because of Jerry and the contract he handed to Deion). so getting a 10 year contract at $450 he got 166M in signing bonus. that's Dak's 4 year contract in one up front lump sum (please don't take it as I am saying Dak is like Mahomes or any type of comparison of value of contract or worth of a player). IMO, So although he might have been able to wait and get a larger AAV than $45M, that large lump sum, lets say that 80M, 5 years sooner is a lot more attractive. at least that's what I would do if I had the options.

its like if you win the lottery. would you take a lump sum up front that's 70% of total value or an annual payment over 20+ years. for me, its an easy decision. I take the 70% today.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I was playing for a dysfunctional organization with a toxic ownership I’d optimize my contract as well since winning isn’t a priority in Big D.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
tyreke wanted too much, to pay him mahomes would have to give up 10-15 mil a year .
Also by moving mahomes $ they could have kept hill, but decided they did not need him at his asking price.
And then they won the SB, so seems like they didnt need him. Plus hill is a diva head case, they might have wanted him gone partly due to that.
I’m just saying Mahomes wanted to keep Hill….he’s so kind why didn’t he take a pay cut? I know the answer in just making a joke out of people think Mahomes isn’t compensated or that he wasn’t the highest paid QB in the league at one point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I liked your post, but people fail upwards all the time in the corporate world. It's an exclusive club, and they don't want many more in it.
What he fails to recognize is Prescott isn’t failing . He just isn’t having more success.

Fans with his perspective believe if you aren’t winning championships you’re a loser.

Big_D

Reaction score
He says this because he went to a great situation. He could've gotten drafted by a bottom feeder and spent a career in the toilet. That Legacy is nice to have and now he's certainly in position to maximize his earnings either way. But he could've went to a team like Cleveland, Houston, Chicago etc and his outlook on contracts would be very different.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you really want this brain trust picking a rookie QB? Unless they have a disastrous season, they would have to give up quite a bit to get up into the top 1-3 picks.

There is a strong possibility that none of these QB's just drafted are going to be as good as Prescott has been and a couple of the top picks will bust.

Then in 4 years, they're right back where they started because the QB contracts are just going to keep climbing.

But, AC, this team has the added problem of the owner's ego involved. If he picked 'em, he's overpaying 'em.
CC, I just want to understand the overwhelming majority of fans here in CZ. For the first 2-3 months after the playoff loss to the 49ers in January, 90% of all posters (including most Dak supporters) wanted Dak gone and for Jerry not to offer him a contract extension whatsoever. Now, most everyone wants Dak to stay and actually keep on getting overpaid?

Sounds like I'm in the Twilight Zone...
o_O :oops::rolleyes:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
slap-fight-star-trek-23rjy07k0w9beset.gif
LOL, DE!!! Exactly right! :laugh:

Creeper

Reaction score
lol he got 450M man. Hard to care about others money when your contact is half a billion. No other player is even getting offered that. Also, he will 100% renegotiate sometime within that and get even more money. He may be the highest paid player week 1 as they are currently renegotiating.

You know what makes him great? His skills, work ethic, and talents and throw in an elite HC and elite FO. Not his lack of worrying about his contract lol.

Also, we saw direct results of his new deal this offseason when Tyreek couldn’t be retained and they could only afford to get stop over WR’s. They didn’t win because he took a team friendly deal they won because he’s one of the best players of all time and is being coached by arguably a top 7 all time HC.

We put waaaaaaay too much stock into contracts and act like they dictate much. Good players, good coaches, and good FO’s win with players making market value.
Yes, he got $450 million - over 10 years. Chances are Dak will make more money over the 10 years after his rookie deal than Mahomes over his contract. Dak got $40 million for 4 years. What do you think he averages over the next 6 years? $55 million?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Guess who lead the league in total yards, total points, passing yards and passing TD's...

Go ahead, take a guess.

:facepalm: :muttley: :lmao:
For what it's worth, they also signed MVS, who was probably more important to replacing Tyreek than JuJu, and had a cap hit only $1.6m less than Hill. They then drafted Skyy Moore in the 2nd round and a traded a 3rd for Toney.

KC didn't really save any cap dollars with their approach. Hill's cap hit was $6.45m last year - JuJu ($3m) and MVS ($4.88m) were over $7m.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, he got $450 million - over 10 years. Chances are Dak will make more money over the 10 years after his rookie deal than Mahomes over his contract. Dak got $40 million for 4 years. What do you think he averages over the next 6 years? $55 million?
This is true in theory.

But I bet Mahomes gets a 1-2 year extension that's converted almost entirely to bonus around 2027, and they'll keep kicking the can until he retires and they rebuild. We can laugh, but depending on what the cap does, an extension like that could be 2 years, $160 million.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Get on it. But you don't have $300 bones...you can't have a job because you are on this forum from daybreak to sunset!
You’re not gonna believe this but I have this device called a “smart phone” and it allows me to browse the web as well as send emails. And let this tickle your fancy…..you can even go on websites!!!!!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You’re not gonna believe this but I have this device called a “smart phone” and it allows me to browse the web as well as send emails. And let this tickle your fancy…..you can even go on websites!!!!!

So how do you make your income? What do you sell? Are you in the pron industry?
(are you into that sleep number bed crap?)

Tell me what you do, I might need a service you are selling.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So how do you make your income? What do you sell? Are you in the pron industry?
(are you into that sleep number bed crap?)

Tell me what you do, I might need a service you are selling.
Glad you asked. I'm a business owner. I own a photograophy/videography business. I film commercials for local businesses but most of my work comes from weddings. You getting married any time soon? I'd upcharge you 10 percent for all the insults you've hurled my way but it would be worth it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Glad you asked. I'm a business owner. I own a photograophy/videography business. I film commercials for local businesses but most of my work comes from weddings. You getting married any time soon? I'd upcharge you 10 percent for all the insults you've hurled my way but it would be worth it.

Wow...awesome if you are totally serious. My son does the same thing as you do! He has clients that he films for their business like you do, roofing, solar panels, auto photos, land scaping vids.

Man, he has some serious video equipment that cost some frogs! Unlike you though, he does not like doing weddings, he has done one or two, but does not like it.

I've always told my son that working for a salary 40 hours a week sucks, even though you do make a living at it, but the best thing that I helped him do is start his own business like you did.

I have a blues band to have fun. Thanks for telling me that! Small world.

Cowboys on three...1...2...3!
COWBOYS

(p.s. no burner account) lol