QB Salary Cap Discussed by Owners

9of11

Reaction score
Great idea because the QB wins and losses games by himself.

Playoffs are typically not involved in their contract unless they structured bonuses.

None of the above is going to happen. Even if that was the case you would still have to account for the bonuses in their salary cap.
QB's are only as good as the team around them but it would be a way to control the over paying of a mediocre QB....

Chasing6

Reaction score
QB's are only as good as the team around them but it would be a way to control the over paying of a mediocre QB....
Football is a game of Chess for GM's. There are multiple approaches to building a talented team.

However, building a complimentary team is the way to winning a SB.

You would think Jerry would know this, having arguably the best team ever assembled.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Teams just need to stop paying guys top dollar for below top dollar performance.
Sounds good except maybe they need a little extra incentive. In some cases, maybe more than just a little incentive.
Aside from all that, unions are supposed to look out for "All" their members, not just the QBs. When a QB hogs an extra piece of the pie, that leaves less pie for the remaining players on the team. So why does the union support the team members sacrificing their shares of the pie for the sake of a QB who keeps demanding more and more?
A union is a union for all, not just one. I've belonged to a union before and they didn't operate that way.
I understand QBs are a more valuable position and may deserve a higher salary, but at what cost to the rest of the team? No limit???

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Stafford is a good quarterback, no question.... but he's not great. Like I said, you can't ignore the fact that he is 11-72 vs winning teams. That's a fact.

That Rams team would have won with many other quarterbacks. But do you think Stafford could have led the league in interceptions and still won a Superbowl with another team that year? I doubt it. If that's the case, why isn't he leading another Superbowl run? What is he waiting for?

That man went along for the ride.
of that 11-72, how many were with the Lions? No QB was going to win against winning teams during most of his time there.

You know the Rams went all in to make that super bowl run & had to start paying some of the bills. Plus, he's getting older.

But who did he ride? Defensively, the Rams ranked 17th in yards allowed (5,863) and 15th in points allowed (372). They went into the playoffs as a 4 seed. Divisional round thru SB, he threw for 366, 337 & 283 while his leading rusher had 48, 48 & 21. The defense gave up 27, 17 & 20 so certainly 2 of those three are good but yet he had to bring them back to win in at least two of those. So, it's not like the D was stifling the other team and he never faced deficits. Think he deserves some credit for carrying his part of the load.

plasticman

Reaction score
How about this simple rule:

No player can count more than 10% against the cap in a season.

For example, the maximum any player could be paid for the 2024 season is 25.5 million.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Outside of Mahomes, what other quarterbacks can win it all without weapons, offensive line, a running game and a solid defense???

You're saying these are the things Dak need to succeed.... who's succeeding without these important pieces? What quarterbacks outside of Mahomes?
EXACTLY.....when you pay your QB top of the market CAP%, YOU CANT AFFORD the perfect team.....which is exactly what Dak needs, because his ultimate weakness is COMPOSURE. You cant offset his lack of composure with a ONE OF THE above ASPECTS (eg with Goff, you know his problem is against pass-rush pressure, so you offset that with an elite O-LINE)........

......Dak apparently needs EVERYTHING as if one of the factors goes down he struggles.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not even sure anyone is paying 20% on an average contract.
True to a point. However, if Dak insists on a 4 year contract and we factor in the $40m 2025 Dead Money....(which will account for 15% of the CAP, in YR1,before any actual new money).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It does not matter what the QB wants. It matters how the FO prepares for that day in advance.

Look how the Niners planned for Aiyuk. They new what he wanted, they new what they were willing to pay and then drafted a WR in round 1.

CD is holding all of the cards in Dallas. Aiyuk has no cards. Niners will offer what they think is fair and then trade him. That is how real GM's run an NFL team.

They will most likely talk to Purdy's agent early and if he is demanding $60M, they can draft another QB or pick up an experienced vet to be a Bus Driver.
But the 9er's arent obsessed with the model of creating a team around an (overpaid) Franchise QB.

As for the 'preparing for that day'......up to the morning of the GB game, EVERYTHING, was pretty much going to plan, (indeed there's a similarity with Mike Tyson, right upto the moment Douglas knocked him out.)

Im sure the PREPARED PLAN was for us to beat GB (AS EVERYONE EXPECTED), beat Detroit (as we had a couple of weeks previously) and then give 49ers a game in the Championship match up. THEN DAK GETS A CAREER ENDING, MARKET SETTING CONTRACT.

The first half of the GB game isnt conducive to paying that QB that money......especially as brings back up the previous two less than stellar play-off loses to the 9ers.

We can blame Jerry for not planning, however, Dak's GB performance is indelibly linked to the problem.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But the 9er's arent obsessed with the model of creating a team around an (overpaid) Franchise QB.

As for the 'preparing for that day'......up to the morning of the GB game, EVERYTHING, was pretty much going to plan, (indeed there's a similarity with Mike Tyson, right upto the moment Douglas knocked him out.)

Im sure the PREPARED PLAN was for us to beat GB (AS EVERYONE EXPECTED), beat Detroit (as we had a couple of weeks previously) and then give 49ers a game in the Championship match up. THEN DAK GETS A CAREER ENDING, MARKET SETTING CONTRACT.

The first half of the GB game isnt conducive to paying that QB that money......especially as brings back up the previous two less than stellar play-off loses to the 9ers.

We can blame Jerry for not planning, however, Dak's GB performance is indelibly linked to the problem.
The Niners are not obsessed with anyone player period. The build a team and run an NFL organization.

GM Jethro runs a Zoo, with a few main attractions that might be rare to see.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The CBA already prohibits teams granting shares in the team to players. It would be a ploy to circumvent the salary cap. Your suggestion is impossible. If the owners ever believe the popularity of the league is jeopardized by players salaries they’ll consider changes. As it is, other leagues pay significant amounts to their stars. The NFL is not out of line and in fact considering the much larger rosters provide employment at significant compensation to many more athletes. The NFL is doing just fine with player compensation. The only person struggling with it is Jerry Jones.
I should have done my homework before I posted what I posted. The NFL is the top dog when it comes to revenues. "The margin of difference between the NFL and other major sports leagues, including the NBA, MLB, and NHL, is an astounding $18 to $20 billion in total revenue. Let’s break this down: while the NBA pulls in an estimated $12 billion and MLB about $14 billion, the NFL consistently rakes in a whopping $25 billion annually." It appears that the NFL could easily increase each team's cap without blinking an eye..................

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I should have done my homework before I posted what I posted. The NFL is the top dog when it comes to revenues. "The margin of difference between the NFL and other major sports leagues, including the NBA, MLB, and NHL, is an astounding $18 to $20 billion in total revenue. Let’s break this down: while the NBA pulls in an estimated $12 billion and MLB about $14 billion, the NFL consistently rakes in a whopping $25 billion annually." It appears that the NFL could easily increase each team's cap without blinking an eye..................
Maybe but you'd have to dig a little bit deeper. The NFL has the deepest rosters and coaching staffs among those leagues. The NFL player payroll alone is probably what the NBA and MLB is combined.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
MLB has a farm system. Rosters are bigger.
Touche....I don't know the answers here, but is minor league revenue being included in the overall revenue for the league, or do farm teams operate as separate entities? How much does minor league payroll cost? I would have to think that most minor league teams would be a couple million bucks. Probably some exceptions for high draft picks and some AAA teams have higher priced vets im sure.

The NFL payroll is nearly $9,000,000,000 this year. I could be wrong, I just dont see minor league baseball, despite its volume of players being a major chuck of that number.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Touche....I don't know the answers here, but is minor league revenue being included in the overall revenue for the league, or do farm teams operate as separate entities? How much does minor league payroll cost? I would have to think that most minor league teams would be a couple million bucks. Probably some exceptions for high draft picks and some AAA teams have higher priced vets im sure.

The NFL payroll is nearly $9,000,000,000 this year. I could be wrong, I just dont see minor league baseball, despite its volume of players being a major chuck of that number.
Good question. I don't know the details.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The Niners are not obsessed with anyone player period. The build a team and run an NFL organization.

But you cant have it both ways, it's either the 49ers way (bye Dak, we'll go team first and fit in a QB) or it's Jerry's way (we'll pay our own, inc Dak.....but have nothing left and fill the roster with too many JAG's)

.....and part of that 'Zoo' includes Dak. You can't divorce Dak from Jerry. Which is the reason many fans want that separation, as the same 'ole, gets us so far, but it seems this model has reached it's zenith.

Flamma

Reaction score
Stafford is a good quarterback, no question.... but he's not great. Like I said, you can't ignore the fact that he is 11-72 vs winning teams. That's a fact.

That Rams team would have won with many other quarterbacks. But do you think Stafford could have led the league in interceptions and still won a Superbowl with another team that year? I doubt it. If that's the case, why isn't he leading another Superbowl run? What is he waiting for?

That man went along for the ride.
Stafford is a good QB that finally had the support around him. That team was as stacked as we'll ever see in the salary cap era.

Flamma

Reaction score
How about this simple rule:

No player can count more than 10% against the cap in a season.

For example, the maximum any player could be paid for the 2024 season is 25.5 million.
As long as any idea doesn't cost owners more, it's a valid idea. It would get other positions and players paid more money. But it has one minor problem. I forget the exact terminology, but every team is required to spend 89% of the cap within a 4 year period. It's something like that. Would that make it difficult for some teams with very little talent to hit that mark?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Stafford is a good QB that finally had the support around him. That team was as stacked as we'll ever see in the salary cap era.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with that roster, Stafford still needed to manage a couple of game winning drives in that SB run.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As long as any idea doesn't cost owners more, it's a valid idea. It would get other positions and players paid more money. But it has one minor problem. I forget the exact terminology, but every team is required to spend 89% of the cap within a 4 year period. It's something like that. Would that make it difficult for some teams with very little talent to hit that mark?
Could set a benchmark for QB contracts and impose graduating 'penalties' for teams exceeding this figure. Would have to be draft capital, as you say owners won't want to pay any financial tax.