QB Salary Cap Discussed by Owners

Chasing6

Reaction score
I was using 25% as an example. It could be 20% but the idea is still the same. As the CAP goes up so will the CAP on QB salaries.
Not even sure anyone is paying 20% on an average contract.

Flamma

Reaction score
It does not matter what the QB wants. It matters how the FO prepares for that day in advance.

Look how the Niners planned for Aiyuk. They new what he wanted, they new what they were willing to pay and then drafted a WR in round 1.

CD is holding all of the cards in Dallas. Aiyuk has no cards. Niners will offer what they think is fair and then trade him. That is how real GM's run an NFL team.

They will most likely talk to Purdy's agent early and if he is demanding $60M, they can draft another QB or pick up an experienced vet to be a Bus Driver.
Yep, that appears to be the case. The Cowboys did not prepare as well. But it's not a matter of if with Purdy. He will ask for market value. It's only a matter of how much. Somewhere between 50-60.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Jerry makes more money each year than the entire team combined.
Exactly. And still mismanages the cap so that he either signs a playoff failing but still very good QB to the biggest contract ever OR he lets him walk and eats $54m in dead cap in 2025. Alas.

Flamma

Reaction score
I do not think a cap of any position is the answer. But if the league keeps going how it is, you will end up with 3 very very highly paid players and 50 making league Minimum. That will not be good for the league as the quality of the game will be drastically reduced. I think they could have an exemption for the salary cap. A team can designate 1 player as an exemption and their salary (cap hit) would not be counted against the cap for that year. You could put things in place to make it less attractive for teams to use, something like any player designated 2 or more times during their contract period can not be tagged at the end of the contract. But it would give teams to chance to build a team without the 20-25% of the cap player destroying their chances.
A lot of good ideas have been tossed around, including this one. But ask yourself one question, will this cost the owners more money? If the answer is yes, they won't do it.

The NFL takes steps to protect their money, their investment, over bettering the game. Otherwise they wouldn't mess with the kickoffs, and the QBs would still be getting pummeled in the pocket.

GINeric

Reaction score
Your Stafford take is quite one sided. Matthew Stafford had a passer rating of 102.9 with 4,886 yards, 41 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 17 games in 2021. I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's not forget Kupp won the triple crown that year or that they had multiple injuries during the playoff run & that Stafford himself left the SB and came back to engineer the winning drive. No, there were not 14 other QB's who would have won the Superbowl with the Rams that season.

Per awards & honors, haven't the Cowboys had as many or more players than SF or Detroit in recent years? Coaching staffs are significantly harder to judge of course and I would give the other teams the nod.

Stafford is a good quarterback, no question.... but he's not great. Like I said, you can't ignore the fact that he is 11-72 vs winning teams. That's a fact.

That Rams team would have won with many other quarterbacks. But do you think Stafford could have led the league in interceptions and still won a Superbowl with another team that year? I doubt it. If that's the case, why isn't he leading another Superbowl run? What is he waiting for?

That man went along for the ride.

GINeric

Reaction score
Well Purdy's exempt as he's not getting paid. Hurts accepted the longer contract and so the Eags are able to play out the early 'cheap' years.
The interesting comparison is with Goff. Both have their weaknesses, but Goffs can be overcome (with O-Line protection), where as Daks is the composure under pressure....which is extremely difficult to counter as it pretty much means he has to have a full set of offensive weapons, a running game, o-line and complete defense to ensure the score is kept down.....and counter the running game to stop the clock and give him time to get himself together.

Outside of Mahomes, what other quarterbacks can win it all without weapons, offensive line, a running game and a solid defense???

You're saying these are the things Dak need to succeed.... who's succeeding without these important pieces? What quarterbacks outside of Mahomes?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think the issue they'll run into is the NBA has a soft cap...you can literally re-sign your own players even if you have no cap space. Yes, you'll have to be the Luxury Tax but there is nothing stopping you
In addition, NBA salaries are guaranteed, so it's not as bad limiting your earning potential when you're guaranteed 120 million over 4 years or so

So I just don't see the players union ceding this

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly. And still mismanages the cap so that he either signs a playoff failing but still very good QB to the biggest contract ever OR he lets him walk and eats $54m in dead cap in 2025. Alas.
2 great options from a great GM.

He should definitely fire himself after this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not even sure anyone is paying 20% on an average contract.
I think just Dak and Watson are over the 20% threshold this year. In general though you're right, I don't think people understand what the 20-25% of the cap really means. That's just the annual average of a players contract in the year that they sign. The cap hits are generally backloaded as the cap rises each season so it's rare that someone is actually 20% or more of the cap.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Stafford is a good quarterback, no question.... but he's not great. Like I said, you can't ignore the fact that he is 11-72 vs winning teams. That's a fact.

That Rams team would have won with many other quarterbacks. But do you think Stafford could have led the league in interceptions and still won a Superbowl with another team that year? I doubt it. If that's the case, why isn't he leading another Superbowl run? What is he waiting for?

That man went along for the ride.
At the critical moment Stafford made plays.

9of11

Reaction score
Maybe they should design levels of pay by QB determined by wins, playoff wins and super bowls won...
1st year: rookie contract.
2nd tear: after rookie contract expires guaranteed 20 million a year, four years max.
3rd tear: jumps to 25 million a year tops
4th tear: 35 million a year or more with more than five playoff wins and if you win a SB, you get Dak money,

Now you can bypass all those tears by being on a team that has great management...and on a team that is good, the better the QB does, the more money he makes. It should provided incentives to be a better player etc...
Of course, everything I just put are just numbers...but it would keep QBs like Dak who is good not great from getting KC QB money which he doesnt deserve...its just a thought....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Maybe they should design levels of pay by QB determined by wins, playoff wins and super bowls won...
2nd tear: after rookie contract expires guaranteed 20 million a year, four years max.
4th tear: 35 million a year or more with more than five playoff wins and if you win a SB, you get Dak money,

Now you can bypass all those tears by being on a team that has great management...and on a team that is good, the better the QB does, the more money he makes. It should provided incentives to be a better player etc...
Of course, everything I just put are just numbers...but it would keep QBs like Dak who is good not great from getting KC QB money which he doesnt deserve...its just a thought....
Great idea because the QB wins and losses games by himself.

Playoffs are typically not involved in their contract unless they structured bonuses.

None of the above is going to happen. Even if that was the case you would still have to account for the bonuses in their salary cap.

GINeric

Reaction score

This is actually a great idea!! The problem is, guys like Nick Foles and Trent Dilpher would make more than Jim Kelly and Marino because Foles and Dilpher have Superbowl rings.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Jerry and Stephen simply had a relatively accurate knack for evaluating talent, they would likely avoid so many of the problems they create.

It's a never-ending curse, for both them and their team, that they're so unable to decipher who stands out as being superior or something less.

Last edited:

9of11

Reaction score
This is actually a great idea!! The problem is, guys like Nick Foles and Trent Dilpher would make more than Jim Kelly and Marino because Foles and Dilpher have Superbowl rings.
True, True...but I would believe that teams wouldnt pay that much (except for the Cowboys) because he won a Superbowl...Now winning multiple SB's thats a different category...Mahomes is in a whole different level and deserves that kind of money he's making.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They need to do something. When any average Joe like Dak can demand to be the top paid QB in the league and potentially make more than a 4 time super bowl champion, something is wrong and needs to change.
how will a qb cap change that though? You will just see a bunch of QBs all having the same contract with the avg Joe still making what Mahomes makes.