QB Salary

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're going to pay your QB the type of money that makes him 15% of your cap, he needs to be someone that makes everyone around him better... Dak isn't that guy.

Agreed....
May I dare to ask then why pay him all that cap cash?
Jerry we really hope you don't give this below to average bus driver the farm and ruin another generation of Cowboy talent!!!!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That's the catch 22. Pay the QB and you can't field a championship team. But without him you don't have a championship team. Emmitt Smith aside, someone on these boards came up with a really good idea to address this. If a team resigns a player they drafted they get a discount on the cap. You can still pay them market value, but the entire contract won't be a cap hit. Just the portion left over after the discount. Players can still go to highest bidder. This does not give teams an unfair advantage. All it does is put more emphasis on the draft. If you draft well you'll do better. The idea is actually brilliant.
You have to be able to draft well, develop players, evaluate players in FA or for trades, etc. It's a cop out saying that paying the QB doesn't mean you can't build a championship team, it's up to the FO and coaches to put in the work to assemble and build one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nah, just using your own words here. You said, and I quote:

The implication here is that all third year QBs continue to improve and get much better.

The reality is that not all third year QBs get noticeably better. Some have hit their ceilings. Some are held back by physical limitations.

Here's the reality that guys like you don't want to grasp - we may have seen the best of Dak. You won't even entertain the possibility that Dak might be as good as he is going to get. Conversely, I acknowledge the reality that Dak could get better, much better even. But I don't know that for certain right now so given the situation - he is under contract for one more year and the Cowboys have the protection of the tag next offseason - I would rather let him play it out, see how he does with what his owner calls a SB caliber roster and then make a contract decision after seeing his 4th season and progress.

I don't think that is such a stupid idea.

So you are arguing about the word "ALL"? LOL

3rd year QB's are still developing. Never said ALL WILL GET BETTER. Again, you made that up in your head. Now back to Dak. Dak has all the makings of getting better and the type of hard working leader that will get better. Its obvious. Just not obvious to you I guess. Which again, is fine.

Its ok if you dont get it. The guys in charge get it, the players get it, and thats really all that matters.

Heck, there were fans that for 8 years never got it with Romo.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I said to @Sydla yesterday, I understand if people dont want to sign him to 28m+ if they think he's not worth it. I disagree, but I get it. Just because we can sign a player who doesnt deserve it to big money doesn't mean we should imo.

My issue is with people saying it's going to affect us signing other players. That's just not true. I didnt like the Dlaw contract because I didn't think he deserved it. Didn't like the Dez contract. But I never worried about us not being able to sign others because it wasn't going to affect that.

As long as the cap keeps going up 10m a year, the cap won't be a issue. The only thing I see slowing the cap down is the same thing that slowed it down from 2011-2013, the new t.v. deals. The new deal didn't kick in until 2014 and it's gone up 10m a year. The current deal ends at the end of 2022. Someone who knows more than I do about the subject could elaborate on it more than I can and if it will be a issue this time.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you are arguing about the word "ALL"? LOL

3rd year QB's are still developing. Never said ALL WILL GET BETTER. Again, you made that up in your head. Now back to Dak. Dak has all the makings of getting better and the type of hard working leader that will get better. Its obvious. Just not obvious to you I guess. Which again, is fine.

Its ok if you dont get it. The guys in charge get it, the players get it, and thats really all that matters.

Heck, there were fans that for 8 years never got it with Romo.

So you guarantee Dak will get much better?

As I said, if you and the Cowboys can guarantee that............ then sign me up, I will be happy to sign him now. If the Cowboys can promise me that in a year, we will be talking about Dak Prescott as a legit Top 6-7 QB, then signing him will be great.

We all know they can't guarantee that. So given they are under no pressure to have to sign him now since he is under contract for another year, the prudent move would be to let him play out his contract year, see where he has progressed and then make the necessary contract offer.

You erroneously assume that I just don't like Dak. I have no issues with Dak. What I have an issue with is making a massive financial commitment to a QB that I am not sure is worthy of that commitment at this time. And given we have options here, it would make more sense for the franchise to not scramble to drop their pants and get him signed right now.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

As I said, if you and the Cowboys can guarantee that............ then sign me up, I will be happy to sign him now. If the Cowboys can promise me that in a year, we will be talking about Dak Prescott as a legit Top 6-7 QB, then signing him will be great.

We all know they can't guarantee that. So given they are under no pressure to have to sign him now since he is under contract for another year, the prudent move would be to let him play out his contract year, see where he has progressed and then make the necessary contract offer.
Dak doesn't have to get any better

His level of play so far has been outstanding .... to say otherwise is to ignore the truth

The stats and wins speak for themselves.... he gets better as the game goes on and is clutch in end

I don't need to see any more

I can get a good look at T-bone by sticking my head up a cow's butt but I would take the Butcher's word for it... he is the expert

Little Jr

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have to get any better

His level of play so far has been outstanding .... to say otherwise is to ignore the truth

The stats and wins speak for themselves.... he gets better as the game goes on and is clutch in end

I don't need to see any more

I can get a good look at T-bone by sticking my head up a cow's butt but I would take the Butcher's word for it... he is the expert
That's how I feel. I don't see the purpose of waiting. 2017 was his worst year and if he has a year like that, the money won't go down, at best it will remain the same. If he has a 2016 or 18 year, it's going up.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's how I feel. I don't see the purpose of waiting. 2017 was his worst year and if he has a year like that, the money won't go down, at best it will remain the same. If he has a 2016 or 18 year, it's going up.

Huh?

If he has a 2017 type season, then they should probably think long and hard about giving him a contract averaging close to $30MM a year. Because in 2017, Dak Prescott wasn't a good QB. Why in the world would you then pay a QB who has had 2 bad years in 4, an elite level QB contract?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You erroneously assume that I just don't like Dak. I have no issues with Dak. What I have an issue with is making a massive financial commitment to a QB that I am not sure is worthy of that commitment at this time. And given we have options here, it would make more sense for the franchise to not scramble to drop their pants and get him signed right now.

yah, but you have to gamble. He isnt fully developed. So you take the evidence available to you and go with it. To me its obvious. And yah, I will gaurantee he will get better.

But again, a lot depends on the team around the QB. And thats just the way it goes with QB's. Are we going to be a run first conservative offense again? Is the line going to play closer to 2016 or 2018? These are huge issues when talking about what kind of season Dak will have stat wise or effective wise.

If Smith and Frederick go down, I guarantee you that Dak will have a worse season then if those guys were there. Thats just football. And Dak could improve as a QB and still have a marginal season with those guys injured.

dckid

Reaction score
In 3 years, $30m won't be an "elite" contract. There are a bunch of QBs who will get new contracts in that time - Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson, Newton, Luck, Trubisky - and they're all going to get more than that. Plus, there's last year's draft class down the line and who knows what kind of contracts some of the older QBs, like Rivers and Roethlisberger will get on short-term deals.

In 2022, $30m might be, what, the 12th-highest per year contract? That's the bet the Cowboys are making.

The only guy in your list who I wouldn't want over Dak, and thats Trubisky.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Huh?

If he has a 2017 type season, then they should probably think long and hard about giving him a contract averaging close to $30MM a year. Because in 2017, Dak Prescott wasn't a good QB. Why in the world would you then pay a QB who has had 2 bad years in 4, an elite level QB contract?
This is where we disagree. That was his worst year but not bad. 30m isn't the same every year. I dont know why people aren't getting that. If he has a year like 17 and then they give him 30m, it will be some what of a cut compared to giving him a 30m deal this year because it be less % of the cap. So again, he can have a 2017 year and the money won't change. It won't go up but it's not going dowm. Obviously we disagree on his 2017 season. Lol

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
SJones is looking for a Team discount though.... using the Cowboys popularity as a bonus for residual income and post-playing days oppurtunities

Stephen Jones said the negotiations with Prescott and Cooper are “off and running.” Both are entering the final year of their rookie deals. The players are looking to cash in on the biggest contract opportunity of their careers.

The Cowboys want to get those deals finalized without “maxing out” each player.

”If we can talk them into not maxing out, doing well, but not maxed, that allows us to have other good football players around them,” Jones said during the team’s annual golf outing for sponsors at Cowboys Golf Club. “And we all know what happens, you look at the TV booths and look at what these players do off the field, if we can put Super Bowl rings on these guys they’ll be legends around this area for many, many, many years to come.

”What they may give up a little bit in their contract, they should be able to invest in being a Cowboy and making our teams better.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...contract-talks-with-dak-prescott-amari-cooper

Sydla

Reaction score
yah, but you have to gamble. He isnt fully developed. So you take the evidence available to you and go with it. To me its obvious. And yah, I will gaurantee he will get better.

But again, a lot depends on the team around the QB. And thats just the way it goes with QB's. Are we going to be a run first conservative offense again? Is the line going to play closer to 2016 or 2018? These are huge issues when talking about what kind of season Dak will have stat wise or effective wise.

If Smith and Frederick go down, I guarantee you that Dak will have a worse season then if those guys were there. Thats just football. And Dak could improve as a QB and still have a marginal season with those guys injured.

But you don't have to gamble. That's the point. You have him under contract for another year and have the tag option to keep him under control.

I'd rather protect myself and have to sign him for like $4MM more in 2020 is he plays well than sign him for $4MM less this year and then we find out he's a lot closer to the 2017 QB than the 2016 QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is where we disagree. That was his worst year but not bad. 30m isn't the same every year. I dont know why people aren't getting that. If he has a year like 17 and then they give him 30m, it will be some what of a cut compared to giving him a 30m deal this year because it be less % of the cap. So again, he can have a 2017 year and the money won't change. It won't go up but it's not going dowm. Obviously we disagree on his 2017 season. Lol

Because it doesn't make sense. In no rational world is it OK to overpay a player now or next year under the logic that hey, 4 years later, it won't be a bad contract at all! In other words, it would not make sense to pay Dak $30MM next year coming off an average 2019 season because 4 years later, $30MM won't rank so high on the QB salary ranking.

He was an average QB, at best in 2017. If he does that again in 2019, why in the world would it make sense to pay that kind of QB $30MM a year anyway? I simply don't get this logic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But you don't have to gamble. That's the point. You have him under contract for another year and have the tag option to keep him under control.

I'd rather protect myself and have to sign him for like $4MM more in 2020 is he plays well than sign him for $4MM less this year and then we find out he's a lot closer to the 2017 QB than the 2016 QB.

Thats because you arent sure. I have no issues with it because I am sure. But there is always a risk. That is the gamble. To me, its plainly obvious that Dak is the man. Overly obvious. I have no doubts he will get better within the pocket. But more then THAT, I have confidence that the Oline will be top notch again. Which also solves the pocket issues. And based on the last two drafts, Oline will be a priority going forward with young talent.

If you think Dak is your guy, then resigning him now is the best way to go. Cheapest way to go. Waiting a year or two years down the road is only going to increase the price. Plus we have the money now ready to go, so its all falling in line.