QB Salary

Little Jr

Reaction score
SJones is looking for a Team discount though.... using the Cowboys popularity as a bonus for residual income and post-playing days oppurtunities

Stephen Jones said the negotiations with Prescott and Cooper are “off and running.” Both are entering the final year of their rookie deals. The players are looking to cash in on the biggest contract opportunity of their careers.

The Cowboys want to get those deals finalized without “maxing out” each player.

”If we can talk them into not maxing out, doing well, but not maxed, that allows us to have other good football players around them,” Jones said during the team’s annual golf outing for sponsors at Cowboys Golf Club. “And we all know what happens, you look at the TV booths and look at what these players do off the field, if we can put Super Bowl rings on these guys they’ll be legends around this area for many, many, many years to come.

”What they may give up a little bit in their contract, they should be able to invest in being a Cowboy and making our teams better.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...contract-talks-with-dak-prescott-amari-cooper
And he should. Just like Dak should ask for above what he deserves. It's the teams job to get the player at the lowest amount possible. It's the player/agent job to get the player as much as possible.

As far as off the field earnings and future off the field earnings, I dont think should have any affect on what a player takes. Those earnings aren't guaranteed. Romo got the job because the head of cbs talked to him at the super bowl and asked him what he thought about the game. He was impressed and knew then that he was going to hire him. Did being a cowboy help? Sure, but not as much as people think. It also helps that he kicks *** at it. Witten got the job because He was a cowboy, he sucked and wasn't going to make it. He's a good example of why you don't take less just because you're a cowboy. Aikman probably got it in large part he was a cowboy and a 3 time super bowl champ . But he kept it because he was good. And it's not like cowboy players get HUGE endorsements deals. Romo in 2015 made 5m a year in endorsements. I'm not poo pooing on 5m though.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dak doesn't have to get any better

His level of play so far has been outstanding .... to say otherwise is to ignore the truth

The stats and wins speak for themselves.... he gets better as the game goes on and is clutch in end

I don't need to see any more

I can get a good look at T-bone by sticking my head up a cow's butt but I would take the Butcher's word for it... he is the expert
lol, yea, I believe I would take the butcher's word as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats because you arent sure. I have no issues with it because I am sure. But there is always a risk. That is the gamble. To me, its plainly obvious that Dak is the man. Overly obvious. I have no doubts he will get better within the pocket. But more then THAT, I have confidence that the Oline will be top notch again. Which also solves the pocket issues. And based on the last two drafts, Oline will be a priority going forward with young talent.

If you think Dak is your guy, then resigning him now is the best way to go. Cheapest way to go. Waiting a year or two years down the road is only going to increase the price. Plus we have the money now ready to go, so its all falling in line.

But again, there is a way to minimize the risk. You are right, there will always be risk but the Cowboys have options at this disposal where they can minimize the risk a bit.

I guess the fundamental difference here is I am willing to have to pay a few million more a year to get a better understanding of what kind of QB he is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because it doesn't make sense. In no rational world is it OK to overpay a player now or next year under the logic that hey, 4 years later, it won't be a bad contract at all! In other words, it would not make sense to pay Dak $30MM next year coming off an average 2019 season because 4 years later, $30MM won't rank so high on the QB salary ranking.

He was an average QB, at best in 2017. If he does that again in 2019, why in the world would it make sense to pay that kind of QB $30MM a year anyway? I simply don't get this logic.

What is this average year nonsense? You way over simplify everything. Much more complicated then you lay out. Based on only being his 3rd year, and the type of talent surrounding him last year, Dak was amazing. Especially the 2nd half of the season.

He plays in a run first conservative offense. What are you expecting 5000 yards? Unrealistic.

Another pro bowl, made the playoffs and won a playoff game. Even played well in the playoff loss. That was a great season for the young kid based on what he had to deal with. Hardly AVERAGE as you like to put it.

Sydla

Reaction score
What is this average year nonsense? You way over simplify everything. Much more complicated then you lay out. Based on only being his 3rd year, and the type of talent surrounding him last year, Dak was amazing. Especially the 2nd half of the season.

He plays in a run first conservative offense. What are you expecting 5000 yards? Unrealistic.

Another pro bowl, made the playoffs and won a playoff game. Even played well in the playoff loss. That was a great season for the young kid based on what he had to deal with. Hardly AVERAGE as you like to put it.

He was average in 2017.

- Tied for 17th in passer rating.

- 13th in completion percentage.

- 13th in TDs

- 19th in YPA

- 16th in yards per game

- 7th in interception % (the higher the worst)

- Football Outsiders DVOA had him 17th

QBR was the only stat that had him in the Top 10, at 5th.

He was average in 2017. It's bizarre to argue otherwise. If I came into a thread about Dak versus Wentz and the stats I listed above where Wentz's stats, there isn't a shred of doubt you'd call that a poor year.

The point being if Dak had the same kind of year in 2019 that he had in 2017, why in the world would it make sense to then pay him a $150MM contract?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But again, there is a way to minimize the risk. You are right, there will always be risk but the Cowboys have options at this disposal where they can minimize the risk a bit.

I guess the fundamental difference here is I am willing to have to pay a few million more a year to get a better understanding of what kind of QB he is.

The difference is that I already understand and can see. Its obvious to me. It isnt obvious to you. So you hesitate. By the way you talk about DAK, its obvious there are things you are not factoring in or understanding. Or dont want to understand.

Its like you put QB's in some kind of box all by themselves and just look at stats or something. QB play is much more complicated then that and all things must be considered when analyzing a QB.

-Experience
-QB type
-coaching
-scheme
-Oline blocking
-pass catchers
-play calling
-defense to an extent
-run game

all these things factor into a QB's ability to do his job. If they are not factored in, then you cannot truly properly analyze a QB.

Aikman was the perfect QB if you had a championship squad surrounding him. But take away some of those great weapons or the blocking and he becomes ordinary and he did.

Romo could put up huge stats with an average Oline and marginal coaching. But he couldnt get over the hump when he had better teams surrounding him.

For my money, give me the QB that can lead the team and steer the ship when he has the talent around him. I want the leaders, the clutch guys, rally the troops.

When you have that combined with the gunslinger, then you have the elite guys.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If you're going to pay your QB the type of money that makes him 15% of your cap, he needs to be someone that makes everyone around him better... Dak isn't that guy.
o_OWhere's your reasoning behind such a heinous comment? I (along with undoubtedly millions of other fans) disagree. And here's my reasoning. Dak's versatility is one of the big reasons why our Boys surged to the playoffs in the second half of the year.

Overall last season, Dak tossed for 3,885 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 8 picks, completing 68.3 percent of his passes and registering a passer rating of 94.7.

He also carried the ball 75 times for 305 yards and six scores. If EVERYONE AROUND HIM wasn't better because of him, than how on earth was Dak able to accomplish all of this?!

You may wish to wander over to the Egals boards. Your post would make more sense over there in regards to China Doll Wentz.
30jmw4.jpg

All of the Cowboys players, coaches and ownership wholly disagree.
As well as the fan base that has either missed several of Dak's games with his accomplishments, or they just post without knowledge.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
The difference is that I already understand and can see. Its obvious to me. It isnt obvious to you. So you hesitate. By the way you talk about DAK, its obvious there are things you are not factoring in or understanding. Or dont want to understand.

Its like you put QB's in some kind of box all by themselves and just look at stats or something. QB play is much more complicated then that and all things must be considered when analyzing a QB.

-Experience
-QB type
-coaching
-scheme
-Oline blocking
-pass catchers
-play calling
-defense to an extent
-run game

all these things factor into a QB's ability to do his job. If they are not factored in, then you cannot truly properly analyze a QB.

Aikman was the perfect QB if you had a championship squad surrounding him. But take away some of those great weapons or the blocking and he becomes ordinary and he did.

Romo could put up huge stats with an average Oline and marginal coaching. But he couldnt get over the hump when he had better teams surrounding him.

For my money, give me the QB that can lead the team and steer the ship when he has the talent around him. I want the leaders, the clutch guys, rally the troops.

When you have that combined with the gunslinger, then you have the elite guys.

We are simply talking about risk right now. You even admitted that there is risk here. Forget your personal opinion or mine.

Do you deny that reality that after one more season of play from Dak, we'd all have a better idea of what kind of QB he is or he is becoming?

Another way, would you feel better about your understanding of Dak after 3 years or 4 years?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He was average in 2017.

- Tied for 17th in passer rating.

- 13th in completion percentage.

- 13th in TDs

- 19th in YPA

- 16th in yards per game

- 7th in interception % (the higher the worst)

- Football Outsiders DVOA had him 17th

QBR was the only stat that had him in the Top 10, at 5th.

He was average in 2017. It's bizarre to argue otherwise. If I came into a thread about Dak versus Wentz and the stats I listed above where Wentz's stats, there isn't a shred of doubt you'd call that a poor year.

The point being if Dak had the same kind of year in 2019 that he had in 2017, why in the world would it make sense to then pay him a $150MM contract?

Sure, stat wise. But thats not the whole story. His season wasnt average by any stretch. The results were not average.

What did you expect Dak to have in his 3rd year in a run first, conservative offense with a WR by committee and the Oline that he had? Seriously? What were you expecting?

Yet he still led the team to the playoffs.

What were his stats in the last 8 games of the year. Probably above average. Thats more important to me. When Cooper came in and he finally had someone to throw to. When the line started blocking better with Alexander getting fired. What did he do then.

Why would I care how he did with no one to throw to, in a horrid scheme when the line was all messed up? Why would I even bother looking at those stats?

Why would you even bother? They are meaningless.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure, stat wise. But thats not the whole story. His season wasnt average by any stretch. The results were not average.

What did you expect Dak to have in his 3rd year in a run first, conservative offense with a WR by committee and the Oline that he had? Seriously? What were you expecting?

Yet he still led the team to the playoffs.

What were his stats in the last 8 games of the year. Probably above average. Thats more important to me. When Cooper came in and he finally had someone to throw to. When the line started blocking better with Alexander getting fired. What did he do then.

Why would I care how he did with no one to throw to, in a horrid scheme when the line was all messed up? Why would I even bother looking at those stats?

Why would you even bother? They are meaningless.

What?

Dak played average in 2017. The team was average in 2017. That's the full story.

Are you confusing last season with the 2017 season? Dak played better in 2018 than 2017. The point I was making to the other poster is if Dak had a repeat of the 2017, which was an average season both for him and for the team, why would you make him one of the highest paid QBs in the league? Why would you pay a QB who in four seasons, had two really average seasons $150MM?

That doesn't make sense. And if another team did that same thing, especially one of our divisional rivals, you'd be calling that team stupid.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Because it doesn't make sense. In no rational world is it OK to overpay a player now or next year under the logic that hey, 4 years later, it won't be a bad contract at all! In other words, it would not make sense to pay Dak $30MM next year coming off an average 2019 season because 4 years later, $30MM won't rank so high on the QB salary ranking.

He was an average QB, at best in 2017. If he does that again in 2019, why in the world would it make sense to pay that kind of QB $30MM a year anyway? I simply don't get this logic.
I guess it's not a matter of understanding it but accepting it. I don't understand why people think this is a first for this. It's always been this way and unless the owners do something about it in the cba it won't change.

In 2016 luck became the highest paid qb. In 2017 carr passed him, the same year, a few months later, Stafford past him. Now , 3 years later, luck is the 10th highest paid. 2 years later carr is the 8th and Stafford the 7th. Last year it was cousins and now, a year later, he's dropped to 5th. By next year he'll be closer to 10. Just how it works.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
As the Cowboys get ready to pay Dak I’ve been thinking. Looking at QB salaries is it possible to build a SB winner with your QB eating 15 plus percent of your cap. When Russel Wilson was on his Rookie deal the Seahawks had one of the most talented teams around should of won two rings. Besides Brady who gives his team a huge discount what veteran QBs are putting championships in the trophy case. Rogers is supposed to be the best in the game where have the Packers been lately and how long ago was that SB. Brees also one of the greats when was his SB he is lucky right now they have hit on a high percentage of picks. I think Peyton was the last big money QB to win a SB and that was cause that D but when it came time to pay the D the Broncos dropped off. I know QB is the most important position on the field but if you can’t afford to put talent around him is he worth it. Only way I see you winning with a vet is if you get lucky and hit on a high percentage of your picks. Once Dak is paid can the Cowboys afford the two LBs, BJ, EE, Cooper and to keep the O-line together? You start shipping them off you have to replace them in the draft and that’s easier said than done. I think owners have gotten carried away and can’t control themselves when it comes to QBs. Kinda reminds me of why the owners wanted a cap have to wonder if we might see a max salary coming in the next CBA to control the spending on QBs. In the current CBA are you better build a great D a strong O-line paying them and steadily drafting QBs so you always have the next man up and are never paying 15 plus percent of the cap to your QB?

Oh yea, Ideally you have talent on both sides and you luck into a Mahomes. Cheapest way no question. Just harder to do.

Swagger

Reaction score
When people ask "what is the alternative?" - I think the answer is to just keep on drafting QB's every three years or so with the intention that once a rookie has played out his 5 years you move him on.

It just makes so much sense from a salary cap and trading point of view.

UNLESS you source a QB like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers - the chances of which are very slim.

Obviously, if he keeps up to anywhere near the level of last season Patrick Mahomes will be paid like an elite level QB because...throwing over 5000 yards, 50 TDs with only 12 interceptions in effectively his rookie season is exactly that, ELITE!

The problem on here is that people seem to get so worked up over what level Dak Prescott is at.

He will never be an elite QB, it just isn't going to happen. Elite is Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers - Prescott lacks the quality in his arm to throw like those guys do and there is no shame in that because wow only a few can!

Prescott is a very durable QB. He is generally solid and efficient with regulation throws and uses his wheels in a productive manner. That's fine and useful and you can win a superbowl with a QB like that on a rookie contract.

The point is that there are a load of young quarterbacks that would produce a similar level of production, some higher, some lower, than Dak Prescott on rookie contracts.

It's not about liking or disliking Prescott or having a long term hangover regarding Romo (he won't come back guys!).

It's about moving on, moving forwards and winning Superbowls.

My fear is that once Prescott is paid circa. $30 million dollars we pretty much have another season in the window of winning a superbowl before it's all over until Prescott goes.

So I think there are a few main points where people disagree.

One, some on here seem to rate Dak Prescott on a similar level to a QB like Patrick Mahomes.

Secondly, it's linked to the first, moving forwards paying a QB like Prescott (most people regard him in the top 15-20 QB's in the league) as a top 5 elite QB is going to knee cap the salary cap longer term even with it increasing slightly every season.

The big question you have to ask yourself whichever side of the fence you sit on, is this - would Bill Belichick let Dak Prescott close out his rookie contract and let him go (compensatory draft picks to boot) or even trade him now or sign him to a long term contract for circa. $30 million a season over the next 5 years?

Bill Belichick deals in winning superbowls not in nostalgia and being nice.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
o_OWhere's your reasoning behind such a heinous comment? I (along with undoubtedly millions of other fans) disagree. And here's my reasoning. Dak's versatility is one of the big reasons why our Boys surged to the playoffs in the second half of the year.

Overall last season, Dak tossed for 3,885 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 8 picks, completing 68.3 percent of his passes and registering a passer rating of 94.7.

He also carried the ball 75 times for 305 yards and six scores. If EVERYONE AROUND HIM wasn't better because of him, than how on earth was Dak able to accomplish all of this?!

You may wish to wander over to the Egals boards. Your post would make more sense over there in regards to China Doll Wentz.
30jmw4.jpg

As well as the fan base that has either missed several of Dak's games with his accomplishments, or they just post without knowledge.
Amen, sis! Preach it! ♡

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What?

Dak played average in 2017. The team was average in 2017. That's the full story.

Are you confusing last season with the 2017 season? Dak played better in 2018 than 2017. The point I was making to the other poster is if Dak had a repeat of the 2017, which was an average season both for him and for the team, why would you make him one of the highest paid QBs in the league? Why would you pay a QB who in four seasons, had two really average seasons $150MM?

That doesn't make sense. And if another team did that same thing, especially one of our divisional rivals, you'd be calling that team stupid.

LOL.............See you show right there that you take no consideration with the team surrounding the QB. Of course Dak played better in 2016. He had play makers and one of the best lines in football.

In 2018 he didnt. Its that simple. So to say Dak is average is an incomplete statement. His stats were average, but that doesnt make him an average QB.

In 2016 he played amazing. But that doesnt make him an amazing QB. Dak is a better QB in 2018 then he was in 2016.

Lets just move on here, its quite clear were are getting nowhere. Which is usually where things end with you QB bubble guys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When people ask "what is the alternative?" - I think the answer is to just keep on drafting QB's every three years or so with the intention that once a rookie has played out his 5 years you move him on.

UNLESS you source a QB like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers - the chances of which are very slim.

Obviously, if he keeps up to anywhere near the level of last season Patrick Mahomes will be paid like an elite level QB because...throwing over 5000 yards, 50 TDs with only 12 interceptions in effectively his rookie season is exactly that, ELITE!

The problem on here is that people seem to get so worked up over what level Dak Prescott is at.

He will never be an elite QB, it just isn't going to happen. Elite is Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers - Prescott lacks the quality in his arm to throw like those guys do and there is no shame in that because wow only a few can!

Prescott is a very durable QB. He is generally solid and efficient with regulation throws and uses his wheels in a productive manner. That's fine and useful and you can win a superbowl with a QB like that on a rookie contract.

The point is that there are a load of young quarterbacks that would produce a similar level of production, some higher, some lower, than Dak Prescott on rookie contracts.

It's not about liking or disliking Prescott or having a long term hangover regarding Romo (he won't come back guys!).

My fear is that once Prescott is paid circa. $30 million dollars we pretty much have another season in the window of winning a superbowl before it's all over until Prescott goes.

One, some on here seem to rate Dak Prescott on a similar level to a QB like Patrick Mahomes.

Secondly, it's linked to the first, moving forwards paying a QB like Prescott (most people regard him in the top 15-20 QB's in the league) as a top 5 elite QB is going to knee cap the salary cap longer term even with it increasing slightly every season.

The big question you have to ask yourself whichever side of the fence you sit on, is this - would Bill Belichick let Dak Prescott close out his rookie contract and let him go (compensatory draft picks to boot) or even trade him now or sign him to a long term contract for circa. $30 million a season over the next 5 years?

Hell yes he would. Belli would sign him in a heartbeat. But Dak would also be a better QB with Belli. Better offense, scheme, training. No question about it.

If Brady retired, they would have done it for Garrapollo. Maybe given him a season to start full time before they did it.

Swagger

Reaction score
Hell yes he would. Belli would sign him in a heartbeat. But Dak would also be a better QB with Belli. Better offense, scheme, training. No question about it.

If Brady retired, they would have done it for Garrapollo. Maybe given him a season to start full time before they did it.
Interesting.
We disagree again :lmao:

I personally don't think Bill would sign him. I think he would trade him now or let him go at the end of next season because he only keeps and pays guys who are elite in their position.

I agree that they would have done it for Garrapollo but people who question him will see how good he is this season.

Every QB would be better with Bill - I agree with that as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He will never be an elite QB, it just isn't going to happen. Elite is Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers - Prescott lacks the quality in his arm to throw like those guys do and those no shame in that because wow only a few can!

I completely agree with this..........................but.............so what? When was the last time Rogers won a SB? Heck he didnt even make the playoffs this year. Didnt even have a winning season.

You need to start thinking about the QB as just another player on the team. Dak is good enough..........move on. Now lets worry about the rest of the team.

-Finish off the defense
-get a safety
-scheme

ect......ect.....

Its not like Dak is going to be facing Mahones and they each have the exact same team. Thats why coaching is so important in this league. It gives you the advantage if you dont have it in personnel.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.............See you show right there that you take no consideration with the team surrounding the QB. Of course Dak played better in 2016. He had play makers and one of the best lines in football.

In 2018 he didnt. Its that simple. So to say Dak is average is an incomplete statement. His stats were average, but that doesnt make him an average QB.

In 2016 he played amazing. But that doesnt make him an amazing QB. Dak is a better QB in 2018 then he was in 2016.

Lets just move on here, its quite clear were are getting nowhere. Which is usually where things end with you QB bubble guys.

It's funny because you don't realize you are actually helping prove my point.

If Dak went into the tank because the team around him wasn't perfect and ideal like it was in 2016, does that scream to you upper echelon QB that you should pay $150MM or more to?

And no, we don't know if Dak was actually a better QB in 2018 than 2016. Statistically, he was not. The offense overall was much better in 2016. The overall team won 13 games that year in 2016, only 10 in 2018. Both teams spit the bit in the divisional round.

Hence why I think it makes sense to wait another year. Dak has not matched his rookie year performance the last two years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Interesting.
We disagree again :lmao:

I personally don't think Bill would sign him. I think he would trade him now or let him go at the end of next season because he only keeps and pays guys who are elite in their position.

I agree that they would have done it for Garrapollo but people who question him will see how good he is this season.

Every QB would be better with Bill - I agree with that as well.

Your theory and mine are based on predictions. I think Belli is smart enough to see how Good Dak is. He wouldnt throw him away.

And YOU only say that because Belli has ONLY had Brady.

But 1 thing is for sure, Belli would never stop drafting QB's.