QB Solution - Stafford

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Staffords time in Detroit is probably coming to an end. There were some rumblings his time there was over earlier this off-season. I think due to cap implications the team decided to hang onto him for another season.

Obviously I'm speculating, but I think 2020 is Staffords last year in Detroit. Matt is a Texas kid and I think the perfect solution for both sides is for Stafford to take over the qb job here in Dallas. This offensive line, these weapons, MM has to know him really well, I think the fit is really really good. This team is in win now mode and you are getting a super talented qb who has experience. What do you guys think?
I had to do a double take to see if this was actually written today.

Stafford is 33 this football season. He's won 9 games in the last 2 seasons and he makes 27M AAV with about 20M left versus the cap if he were cut NEXT year.
Stafford is 0-3 in the playoffs and not the guy you to go to win it all.

People associate him with Dallas because he grew up in Highland Park but Stafford is the rare athlete who has left and not returned.
He has homes in Atlanta and Detroit.

The answer is still Dak.
They'll franchise him again in all likelihood.

JBS

Reaction score
I had to do a double take to see if this was actually written today.

Stafford is 33 this football season. He's won 9 games in the last 2 seasons and he makes 27M AAV with about 20M left versus the cap if he were cut NEXT year.
Stafford is 0-3 in the playoffs and not the guy you to go to win it all.

People associate him with Dallas because he grew up in Highland Park but Stafford is the rare athlete who has left and not returned.
He has homes in Atlanta and Detroit.

The answer is still Dak.
They'll franchise him again in all likelihood.

Is 33 supposed to be an age where a qb is worthless? Absolutely not. You want to blame stafford for not winning, lol...that's a joke

phildadon86

Reaction score
Stafford has absolutely nothing around him. Comparing the two is not easy. Stafford w these weapons and MM, and you might have something special
Lol. Stafford did nothing with arguably the best WR of the last 20 years. His record against winning teams is like 0-40.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It'll be Dak at QB this year. By then, Stafford will be another year older and looking directly at the downside of his career. Hopefully, we'll see what DiNucci has to offer as an upside this year and act upon the results in 2021. I suspect we'll draft a QB hopeful this year, also. We're premature in speculating about Stafford at this juncture, since he's still a Detroit Lion. I'm inclined to wait until such time as the upcoming season plays itself out before planning for any QB changes at this juncture. Dak is still our QB until such time as he's not.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I think Stafford stinks...ok he’s not terrible but he isn’t winning anything...might as well ride with Dalton and swing hard for someone in the draft.

When was the last time he had a top 3 running back and three receivers like this team, or a defense like we had in 2018. Never.

I am all about doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl. Let’s see what Dak does first this year with these weapons. If this team doesn’t make the playoffs now that we’ve changed coaches, it might indeed be time to blow this roster up.

JBS

Reaction score
Hey guys, stafford had an elite wr and didnt do anything..

Imagine watching this sport all your life and coming to this conclusion..

Techsass

Reaction score
Matthew Stafford.....another player who has a "beautiful arm" but has done NOTHING in this league. What is the fascination of going after guys other teams don't want?
Detroit is a very bad organization in my mind. Kind of like the old Jerry days of getting a couple of marque players & neglecting all of the other positions on the team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When was the last time he had a top 3 running back and three receivers like this team, or a defense like we had in 2018. Never.

I am all about doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl. Let’s see what Dak does first this year with these weapons. If this team doesn’t make the playoffs now that we’ve changed coaches, it might indeed be time to blow this roster up.

Anytime you've got a new coach and new staff taking over in a pandemic year, that one year is hardly time to dump them. Bad idea.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Is 33 supposed to be an age where a qb is worthless? Absolutely not. You want to blame stafford for not winning, lol...that's a joke
You have a lot of head-scratching posts but this is up there with ManU hiring Jose.
Stafford is past his prime and playing another year in Detroit minimum.
Not even a complete and total idiot would grab a 34 year to-be who has never won a playoff game and pretend they have found their franchise QB.

Stafford is very highly paid, past his prime, and never won a thing. He's made 1 Pro Bowl, 6 years ago.

IF Stafford is cut in Detroit next year it will post June 1st to lessen the cap hit. Dallas isn't waiting that long to add a QB.
IF they did add Stafford next year it would be as an Andy Dalton 1 year back up role.

Dak Prescott had Jason Garrett as head coach and the 31st rankled ST and went 8-8.
Stafford is 10 games under .500 for his career.
Since Dak entered the league he has won 40 games, Stafford has won 27 over the same period.

Dallas will tag Dak again or make a trade for a young back up QB they think could ascend, likely a recent draftee they loved that is buried behind a proven vet.
Think Josh Rosen type.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said cheap..I think 30m is probably the number..dal offered dak 35..so I'm sure they'd pay stafford 30-35 as well
Even if Stanford would be slightly cheaper than Dak, he would be in his upper 30s at the end of his contract, so age could start catching up before he finishes out a 4 or 5 year deal. Dak would still be in his early 30s

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
jerry co
Yeah, waits till the last minute to sign. His agent botched a good deal for him and I’m sure we will all be hearing how much more his camp is looking for in 2021.
Of course. That’s why you sign him two years ago.....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Knew this thread was coming.

If (when?) they move on from Dak, you'd want a QB who can step in and win with this coach, this O Line, and this WR group. If you look at circumstances around the league, Stafford fits that bill. He'll be 33 and even though he'll command a salary in the $25-30M range, it won't be a long term deal that we are stuck with for 5 years. The Lions can save $14M in cap room by moving on from him after this season and what is very likley to be a another losing season in Detroit. McCarthy' system, the Cowboys offensive tools, and Stafford make a potentially dangerous combination.

A lot of you have become so enamored with the draft that you have unrealistic expectations. This team is anywhere from 8-8 to 13-3 this year, We will not be drafting high enough to get a sure-thing QB prospect. So now you're hoping the braintrust who brought you Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Clint Stoerner, almost drafted Johnny Manziel, and then later on would priortize Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook over Dak, are now suddenly going to nail the pick on a quarterback drafting in the 20 to 28 range?

You could do a lot worse than Matt Stafford with this current group of players and circumstances in 2021.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Hey guys, stafford had an elite wr and didnt do anything..

Imagine watching this sport all your life and coming to this conclusion..
Imagine watching this sport your whole life and thinking Matt stafford is the answer lol. Last time we had a QB over 30 with a bad back how did that work out?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Staffords time in Detroit is probably coming to an end. There were some rumblings his time there was over earlier this off-season. I think due to cap implications the team decided to hang onto him for another season.

Obviously I'm speculating, but I think 2020 is Staffords last year in Detroit. Matt is a Texas kid and I think the perfect solution for both sides is for Stafford to take over the qb job here in Dallas. This offensive line, these weapons, MM has to know him really well, I think the fit is really really good. This team is in win now mode and you are getting a super talented qb who has experience. What do you guys think?
Another Broke Back Mountain QB like Romo that can't stay on the field. You guys are hysterically fanatic. Dak Prescott missed one practice in 4 years and never missed a game.

Availability is one of the best abilities in the NFL.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
we would need both vet and journeymen/rook learning because 2 years is about all you want out of a Stafford type.. he a lot like Romo so i say Yes IF things dont work out with Dak..Ironic trade dak for a high draft pic t Detroit with Stafford attached in the deal for 2021?
He is a lot like Romo.

A bit of a gunslinger in the pocket.

And Big Mike has seen him enough to know if he has enough to win with a better roster.

Possibility.

JBS

Reaction score
You have a lot of head-scratching posts but this is up there with ManU hiring Jose.
Stafford is past his prime and playing another year in Detroit minimum.
Not even a complete and total idiot would grab a 34 year to-be who has never won a playoff game and pretend they have found their franchise QB.

Stafford is very highly paid, past his prime, and never won a thing. He's made 1 Pro Bowl, 6 years ago.

IF Stafford is cut in Detroit next year it will post June 1st to lessen the cap hit. Dallas isn't waiting that long to add a QB.
IF they did add Stafford next year it would be as an Andy Dalton 1 year back up role.

Dak Prescott had Jason Garrett as head coach and the 31st rankled ST and went 8-8.
Stafford is 10 games under .500 for his career.
Since Dak entered the league he has won 40 games, Stafford has won 27 over the same period.

Dallas will tag Dak again or make a trade for a young back up QB they think could ascend, likely a recent draftee they loved that is buried behind a proven vet.
Think Josh Rosen type.

Lolololol...your knowledge in football is equally as bad as your knowledge in soccer

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

As long as he costs half of what Dak costs.