News: QB Tiers by Jason La Canfora CBS Sports

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its based on performance, not preference. What does Dak do better than Deshaun?
On the field? Absolutely nothing. Dak does nothing BETTER than Watson just like Watson does nothing better than Dak.

My argument isn't who's better. My argument is one guy isn't a tier better than the other. The people who do it are bias. Your a Eagles fan I wouldn't expect a Eagles fan to be objective on the matter lol.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
On the field? Absolutely nothing. Dak does nothing BETTER than Watson just like Watson does nothing better than Dak.

My argument isn't who's better. My argument is one guy isn't a tier better than the other. The people who do it are bias. Your a Eagles fan I wouldn't expect a Eagles fan to be objective on the matter lol.

Using the excuse that I’m an eagles fan is you attempting to absolve yourself from an erroneous statement. The opposite is just as poignant: I’m neither a Texans nor a Cowboys fan, therefore my opinion on the subjective is far less irrationally subjective. Would you be banging the table like this if Dak were a lifelong Panther? Of course you wouldn’t. But his position my list would be exactly the same.

Watson is more accurate than Dak. That’s statistically provable. Watson throws a better deep ball than Dak. That’s statistically provable. Watson consistently completes more passes deep than Dak. Watson is more able to complete passes in tight windows than Dak. Watson is a superior running threat than Dak. Watson’s performance does not as dramatically buoy as Dak’s does when essential skill position players are missing in the offense. Watson’s performance Does not heavily vary between the first half and the second, particularly in losses. Watson is a much more deadly scoring threat with his arm than Dak; one of the most deadly in NFL history.

How on earth could these two QBs be in the same tier? Especially when you take winning out of the QB comparison?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Using the excuse that I’m an eagles fan is you attempting to absolve yourself from an erroneous statement. The opposite is just as poignant: I’m neither a Texans nor a Cowboys fan, therefore my opinion on the subjective is far less irrationally subjective. Would you be banging the table like this if Dak were a lifelong Panther? Of course you wouldn’t. But his position my list would be exactly the same.

Watson is more accurate than Dak. That’s statistically probable. Watson throws a better deep ball than Dak. That’s statistically probable. Watson consistently completes more passes deep than Dak. Watson is more able to complete passes in tight windows than Dak. Watson is a superior running threat than Dak. Watson’s performance does not as dramatically buoy as Dak’s does when essential skill position players are missing in the offense. Watson’s performance Does not heavily vary between the first half and the second, particularly in losses. Watson is a much more deadly scoring threat with his arm than Dak; one of the most deadly in NFL history.

What is it that Dak does better than Watson?
Did I not verbatim tell you that neither one does anything better than the other? I never said Dak does anything better than Watson. What I said was neither one is a tier higher than the other. They are of the same caliber and that's really being generous with Watson missing a whole NFL season due to 20+ women accusing him of sexual misconduct and assault. You are wasting keystrokes. My argument is they are of the same caliber. Watson is not a tier 1 QB. Sorry. He is not Mahomes. He is not Rodgers. Now if you want to argue that go for it. Deshaun gets fat off of poor teams just like Dak does. What happen to that? You aren't going to take that away from him?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve seen Watson play at a high level for years. His rookie season was amazing. He followed it up multiple times, including his last in 2020 when he set records.

We’ve seen Burrow complete a single Kirk-Cousins-esque regular season as a tier 3 QB. He was heavily dependent on Chase, he led the league in sacks (not entirely his fault), he lost a lot of games that were close late where he had a chance to do something and came up short. Remember this was a 7 loss team, it’s not like he was dominating the league last year; he simply did better than Pittsburgh to eek out the division.

Yes he made the SB, but so did Garropolo, so did Goff. Is that an automatic Tier 2 qualifier? Of course not. Their defense carried them through that playoff run. Burrow had 5 TDs in 4 games, never scored 30, won a game where he couldn’t even score 20, with a single performance over 265 yards. It was impressive for a second year player to handle the situation like that, just like it was impressive when Goff did it.

What part of 4-12 is high level.
Oh, double standard, Dak sucks at 12-5, but Watson is almost elite at 4-12.

I disagree, he has not played at a high level. He had some great gomes, and some ok games, and some sucky games.
At this point he has not had anymore success than Dak, or even Hurts.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I guess we could pretend that neither guy does anything better than the other if you just pretend Dak hasn't played 31 more games and has 200 less rushing yards.

If everything is equal, by your account, except the clear difference in mobility and rushing ability, by everyone else's account, then that can only mean Watson is clearly the better player.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Did I not verbatim tell you that neither one does anything better than the other? I never said Dak does anything better than Watson. What I said was neither one is a tier higher than the other. They are of the same caliber and that's really being generous with Watson missing a whole NFL season due to 20+ women accusing him of sexual misconduct and assault. You are wasting keystrokes. My argument is they are of the same caliber. Watson is not a tier 1 QB. Sorry. He is not Mahomes. He is not Rodgers. Now if you want to argue that go for it. Deshaun gets fat off of poor teams just like Dak does. What happen to that? You aren't going to take that away from him?

Sure I’ll argue that: I didn’t put Watson in tier 1. That was never the argument. Again you’re attempting to stereotype and just throw me into a group of other people here claiming other things when my list is clearly presented with Watson missing from the top tier.

being accused of sexual assault is a terrible thing, but it doesn’t affect his ability to throw a football. Dak does a lot of commercials, is great at selling products, and has a pristine reputation. Do you believe that makes him better at player quarterback…? Then why would the Deshaun thing have any impact on his QBing?

If a Qb breaks his leg, misses a season, is he now worse at playing QB? No, especially if the leg fills heals. Now What if that scenario happened but the leg never breaks and he’s physically fine? How does that suddenly make him a worse QB?

They are not the same caliber because one has proven to be more talented than the other. And now Again you’re talking about W/L record against winning teams or “getting fat” against losing teams, when you yourself don’t believe in it. Your only argument against Deshaun is one you directly dispute.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Watson is more accurate than Dak. That’s statistically provable. Watson throws a better deep ball than Dak. That’s statistically provable. Watson consistently completes more passes deep than Dak. Watson is more able to complete passes in tight windows than Dak. Watson is a superior running threat than Dak. Watson’s performance does not as dramatically buoy as Dak’s does when essential skill position players are missing in the offense. Watson’s performance Does not heavily vary between the first half and the second, particularly in losses. Watson is a much more deadly scoring threat with his arm than Dak; one of the most deadly in NFL history.

How on earth could these two QBs be in the same tier? Especially when you take winning out of the QB comparison?
Dude said your opinion is not valid because you have no dog in the race, but don't even consider that his opinion is completely and utterly biased.

I don't think he has any idea what "objective" means.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lol. I think I'll make my own opinion on which tier Dak belongs on than some obtuse writer who has the Egals going to the NFC Title Game & Wodgers/Wilson retiring. Click bait at it's finest!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I guess we could pretend that neither guy does anything better than the other if you just pretend Dak hasn't played 31 more games and has 200 less rushing yards.

If everything is equal, by your account, except the clear difference in mobility and rushing ability, by everyone else's account, then that can only mean Watson is clearly the better player.
I was referencing their quarterbacking. Yes, Watson runs more than Dak and is a better runner than Dak. Sure. Watson ain’t Lamar or even Josh Allen in that regard. He’s a quarterback who can run just like Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dude said your opinion is not valid because you have no dog in the race, but don't even consider that his opinion is completely and utterly biased.

I don't think he has any idea what "objective" means.
My opinion is for sure biased lol. I just have the nuts to admit it. Just go back to your corner you are offering nothing again lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure I’ll argue that: I didn’t put Watson in tier 1. That was never the argument. Again you’re attempting to stereotype and just throw me into a group of other people here claiming other things when my list is clearly presented with Watson missing from the top tier.

being accused of sexual assault is a terrible thing, but it doesn’t affect his ability to throw a football. Dak does a lot of commercials, is great at selling products, and has a pristine reputation. Do you believe that makes him better at player quarterback…? Then why would the Deshaun thing have any impact on his QBing?

If a Qb breaks his leg, misses a season, is he now worse at playing QB? No, especially if the leg fills heals. Now What if that scenario happened but the leg never breaks and he’s physically fine? How does that suddenly make him a worse QB?

They are not the same caliber because one has proven to be more talented than the other. And now Again you’re talking about W/L record against winning teams or “getting fat” against losing teams, when you yourself don’t believe in it. Your only argument against Deshaun is one you directly dispute.
I never said his sexual assault cases has anything to do with throwing the football. What I SAID was he had to take a year off from football because of his sexual assault cases. I'm not going to sit here and assume that he's the same guy he was in 2020 when he went 4-12 but padded his stats. You know the thing y'all say Dak does?

Jesus.....there is NO ARGUMENT for Dak being better than Deshaun. I NEVER ONCE said that. What I said was they are the SAME CALIBER. You've yet to post nothing to suggest they aren't. You can go to your "padded stats" argument, you can go to your "W/L" argument, you can go to whatever you want....there is nothing here to suggest Deshaun Watson is a tier better than Dak Prescott other than your preference.

Because taking a year off from football hurts your play especially in the NFL. Dak's and Joe Burrow will be better quarterbacks this year than they were last season having a true offseason without worrying about injury. True or false?

Tier 3 is Pro Bowl Caliber: QB’s who will put up nice stats if the Oline is healthy and the skill positions are well-invested. QB’s who can reliably finish the season with winning records when everything is going right, will make an occasional pro bowl if a guy higher on the list is injured, Though will rarely if ever be considered for All-Pro. Also Not impossible to make a super bowl run of the team is loaded.

You literally described Deshaun Watson lol. Deshaun Watson is never going on a SB run unless his team is loaded lol. Same argument can be made for Russell Wilson,. Herbert and Stafford.

Truthfully, none of these quarterbacks are making a SB run without a team that's loaded lol.

This whole tier thing is just fodder created by the media and armchair GM's.

At the end of the day the best teams win. Eli Manning won 2 SB's. Never had the best team around him but they peaked at the right time and with the proper coaching. But for some strange reason, you guys are trying to convince me there's some imaginary "tier" of quarterback that's not defined by "wins" but defined by how far you can throw the football and how hard you can throw it. ITs ridiculous. We judge quarterbacks based on team result. Let's just call it what it is. Nobody gave Romo or Phillip Rivers the passes for their teams not being good enough.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I was referencing their quarterbacking. Yes, Watson runs more than Dak and is a better runner than Dak. Sure. Watson ain’t Lamar or even Josh Allen in that regard. He’s a quarterback who can run just like Dak.
Except he runs MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Dak, therefore separating himself completely in that regard.

By your account, everything is equal, right? However, running and mobility is a clear advantage to Watson.

So, all that leads anyone to then have to just accept that Watson is better.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
My opinion is for sure biased lol. I just have the nuts to admit it. Just go back to your corner you are offering nothing again lol.
We know your opinion is biased. That's why you're always wrong about things.

Do you even know what objective means? Because from your usage of it above I'd say no.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Except he runs MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Dak, therefore separating himself completely in that regard.

By your account, everything is equal, right? However, running and mobility is a clear advantage to Watson.

So, all that leads anyone to then have to just accept that Watson is better.
Watson is a better runner than Russell Wilson too. Better runner than Matthew Stafford. They're still all the same tier and Dak is right there with them. If you want to a argue Watson is better I could care less. I'm not getting caught in that rabbit hole. My point was they are of the same caliber.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We know your opinion is biased. That's why you're always wrong about things.

Do you even know what objective means? Because from your usage of it above I'd say no.
Your right to wrong rate on this site is about 1 to 100 lol. You are more wrong than any other poster on this site. But you disguise it as trolling so its fine lol.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Watson is a better runner than Russell Wilson too. Better runner than Matthew Stafford. They're still all the same tier and Dak is right there with them. If you want to a argue Watson is better I could care less. I'm not getting caught in that rabbit hole. My point was they are of the same caliber.
You and a few of your buddies on here are the only ones that believe Dak and Watson are anywhere near the same caliber player.

conner01

Reaction score
Tier 1 - Elite (Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady. That's it.)
Tier 2 - Can carry teams when needed (Guys like Burrow, Allen, Stafford and Wilson here)
Tier 3 - Can perform but needs some help (Guys like Carr and Jackson)
Tier 4 - Need a ton of help, can't carry team, and underperforms if things aren't perfect around them (Dak, Murray, and the Kirk Cousins of the world)
Tier 5 - Who knows? (Lawrence, Goff, Wentz, and guys like that).
Wilson could carry a team when he didn’t need to carry a team. Since the legion of boom he hasn’t won anything
If stafford could carry a team then why didn’t he win till he was on probably the best roster in the nfl
Rodgers is great but he can’t win without help either
Teams win the SB
There is not a QB in the league who can win without talent around him

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Wilson could carry a team when he didn’t need to carry a team. Since the legion of boom he hasn’t won anything
If stafford could carry a team then why didn’t he win till he was on probably the best roster in the nfl
Rodgers is great but he can’t win without help either
Teams win the SB
There is not a QB in the league who can win without talent around him
You asked and I gave you my answer.

You notice I didn't ask what your tier is or where you have guys? That's because it's your opinion and we might agree and some and we might not. Who cares? No biggie.

It's my tiers and you or nobody else is going to change my mind. The only thing that changes my mind is what happens on the field.