QB2 the favorite: Gilbert

garyo1954

Reaction score
Flying a bit under the radar is the team’s unsettled backup QB situation. Last year the team had an established veteran backup in Andy Dalton, who ended up becoming the starter when QB1 went down. Dalton is off in Chicago now, leaving Dallas with very little on the depth chart. The team currently has only Garrett Gilbert, Cooper Rush and Ben DiNucci behind QB1.

Rush has thrown three career passes, and DiNucci (a 2020 seventh-rounder) and Gilbert have each made one start. Barring a bigger-name veteran addition, Gilbert is currently the “favorite” to back up QB1 in 2021, Rob Phillips of the team’s official site writes. Phillips frames it as a battle between Gilbert and Rush without even mentioning DiNucci, who was disastrous in his lone 2020 start in prime-time against the Eagles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...to-back-up-dak-prescott/ar-AALOmIb?li=BBnbfcL

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Flying a bit under the radar is the team’s unsettled backup QB situation. Last year the team had an established veteran backup in Andy Dalton, who ended up becoming the starter when QB1 went down. Dalton is off in Chicago now, leaving Dallas with very little on the depth chart. The team currently has only Garrett Gilbert, Cooper Rush and Ben DiNucci behind QB1.

Rush has thrown three career passes, and DiNucci (a 2020 seventh-rounder) and Gilbert have each made one start. Barring a bigger-name veteran addition, Gilbert is currently the “favorite” to back up QB1 in 2021, Rob Phillips of the team’s official site writes. Phillips frames it as a battle between Gilbert and Rush without even mentioning DiNucci, who was disastrous in his lone 2020 start in prime-time against the Eagles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...to-back-up-dak-prescott/ar-AALOmIb?li=BBnbfcL
I think Gilbert is vastly overrated by our fan base. He had a good game against Pitt last year for sure but there’s a reason he’s 32 and never been much in the NFL. I think there are going to be several options available for this team before the season opener. If I was betting who the #2 QB is for us on Sept 9th I’m betting he’s not currently on the roster.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I think Gilbert is vastly overrated by our fan base. He had a good game against Pitt last year for sure but there’s a reason he’s 32 and never been much in the NFL. I think there are going to be several options available for this team before the season opener. If I was betting who the #2 QB is for us on Sept 9th I’m betting he’s not currently on the roster.

Agreed.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
What I see with Gilbert is poise, I noticed it when he was the best player in the AAF , and it showed up again in the Pittsburgh game. He always have had the arm talent , why is it hard to believe he has matured on the mental level? Opportunity is the only thing that can reveal that, and so far he has taken advantage of his opportunities. Until he stink it up he is a viable backup IMO.
Oh yeah he is 30 not 32.

basel90

Reaction score
Gilbert never got enough chances . He looked very capable against Pittsburgh. Playing time and reps gives players confidence . Just look how much play time Dak got once romo was down . Gilbert should be given all the reps possible .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

He might be the favorite.
But we don't have to like it!
Foles , please

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I personally think DiNucci will win the QB2 job in camp. Don’t know why but just a hunch.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
At this point in time, Gilbert is my favorite QB2 as well but that doesn't matter, they have a training camp and preseason games to figure that out. May the best QB win the QB2 job. ;)

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Garrett is about as good as back up as there is in the NFL actually. There are not 32 quality starters let alone quality back ups in the NFL. We are fortunate to have a good/decent veteran last year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Garrett is about as good as back up as there is in the NFL actually. There are not 32 quality starters let alone quality back ups in the NFL. We are fortunate to have a good/decent veteran last year.

True statement about the starting QB's in the NFL....Gilbert may be ok, but I have not seen him play enough where as a Nick Foles type we have seen and know he can play capable in most situations.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
True statement about the starting QB's in the NFL....Gilbert may be ok, but I have not seen him play enough where as a Nick Foles type we have seen and know he can play capable in most situations.
Currently Foles is under contract with another team so until he isn't, it's a mute point. NO way on this green earth would I ever trade for a back up -- at any position. Now, if he gets released, would be happy to sign Nick Foles as he is a much better option.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
There's a reason why Gilbert is with his 4th different franchise. He's simply horrible. Dallas is in trouble should Dak go down again. Sign Foles & be done w/the backup QB situation.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Currently Foles is under contract with another team so until he isn't, it's a mute point. NO way on this green earth would I ever trade for a back up -- at any position. Now, if he gets released, would be happy to sign Nick Foles as he is a much better option.

Agreed

blueblood70

Reaction score
as much as i wouldn't mind having foles over GG, Foes really hasn't played well anywhere besides as an eagle..odd his first stint as an eagle he was great. left , failed, came back sat the bench's came in and won a sb, left again, failed and now most likely looking for a new job..

very odd the guy only plays well as an eagle..lol proof he couldn't beat out Mitch, they bring i dalton and draft Felds..thats says a lot....im torn

good we have the PS games to see more GG...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Moot point, not "mute point". Just saying. ;)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep
Hope you’re right about #2.