QB2 the favorite: Gilbert

conner01

Reaction score
I think Gilbert is vastly overrated by our fan base. He had a good game against Pitt last year for sure but there’s a reason he’s 32 and never been much in the NFL. I think there are going to be several options available for this team before the season opener. If I was betting who the #2 QB is for us on Sept 9th I’m betting he’s not currently on the roster.
I think he is over rated by some but I think he shows poise in the pocket and has some skill
He should have started to finish the season but I think he can be a decent backup
He’s not as talented as dalton but I think if he had to start a couple games we’d be ok
If you lose Dak for many weeks then your season is likely over even with the backups available

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
....and Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before playing with the Rams at 28 years old.

And before the knee jerks snort back “oohhh, you think Gilbert is Kurt Warner!?!?!”

No.

The point is QBs take different paths in their development. Tannehill all of a sudden became one of the league’s better starters at the age of 30.

If Gilbert can just show that he’s a competent backup then I call that a win.

Folks seem to always fall into the trap of thinking your backup has to be the heir apparent.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Yep
Hope you’re right about #2.

my hope is that one of the QB we have our roster plays so well during camp and PS that we don't have to go out and get someone else. Hoping that players fail doesn't seem like the right thing to do to me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Gilbert is vastly overrated by our fan base. He had a good game against Pitt last year for sure but there’s a reason he’s 32 and never been much in the NFL. I think there are going to be several options available for this team before the season opener. If I was betting who the #2 QB is for us on Sept 9th I’m betting he’s not currently on the roster.
I agree. 1 solid NFL game and has been out of college since 2014, and over that time has struggled to even stick on practice squads. And, realistically, while he did have a solid game against Pittsburgh, I think the fact expectations were so low caused some fans to perceive that it was more than it was, which was a nice showing from a backup.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think Gilbert is vastly overrated by our fan base.

Um. Doesn't it depend on the day?

Let someone else's QB get released, and suddenly, the rating tends to be pretty sober.

And ultimately, let's not kid ourselves, it will come down to preseason as it so typically does.

It's almost certainly his job to lose. He'll either validate the enthusiasm or not. But it rides on that, not his history, pro or con. His history, rather, is what's gotten him to the front of the line.

Age? It's not like we haven't seen older players like Gilbert come along and succeed... in that specific role... after 30. Content to wait and see if he's one of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It comes down to if Dak goes down do we have a backup who can come in and win a few games.

If we like some of these guys on our roster we can develop them on our practice squad without relying on them to win games now.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm not concerned with an heir apparent - Dak's the QB, like it or not - and if Dak misses 3 months this team is better off losing anyway.

But what if Dak misses 1 or 2 games? I want a QB who gives the team a chance. I'd prefer a guy who has, you know, actually won an NFL game.

Gilbert has one start in 7 years, bouncing around with 7 teams. He wasn't a train wreck in that start, but the Cowboys only scored 17 points and he threw a red zone pick with the game still winnable at the time. The defense and special teams had one of their better games and he still couldn't win it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Garrett is about as good as back up as there is in the NFL actually. There are not 32 quality starters let alone quality back ups in the NFL. We are fortunate to have a good/decent veteran last year.

No...............

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We probably had one of the most capable backup QBs in the NFL last year and it ended up not making a difference with all the other issues between the defense debacle and injuries. If Dak isnt available for an extended period this team is in trouble. For that reason I'm not too concerned who the backup is.

Let the best game manager win, if it's Gilbert great for him. Atleast they'll get an extra preseason this year to gain more experience and playing tike running the offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You are just a hater. You need to focus on the positive vibes.
What positive vibes? You said DiNucci was going to win the backup QB position. :lmao: Someone will win it but it won't be him. You think they would go into the season with a QB who's started only 1 NFL game and played horribly? :lmao2:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What positive vibes? You said DiNucci was going to win the backup QB position. :lmao: Someone will win it but it won't be him. You think they would go into the season with a QB who's started only 1 NFL game and played horribly? :lmao2:

Go read Spags’ article on how Cowboy QBs appeared in their first game. DiNucci was not ready last year especially with almost no training camp. Just as Romo was not ready his first year.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Go read Spags’ article on how Cowboy QBs appeared in their first game. DiNucci was not ready last year especially with almost no training camp. Just as Romo was not ready his first year.
So now you think DiNucci is ready to be the backup? You can’t be serious. Did you see him play last year? Even if he lights it up during preseason they’re not making a guy with 1 NFL start the backup.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So now you think DiNucci is ready to be the backup? You can’t be serious. Did you see him play last year? Even if he lights it up during preseason they’re not making a guy with 1 NFL start the backup.

Ready is a relative term. If he beats the other two out then he is more ready than the other two.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Flying a bit under the radar is the team’s unsettled backup QB situation. Last year the team had an established veteran backup in Andy Dalton, who ended up becoming the starter when QB1 went down. Dalton is off in Chicago now, leaving Dallas with very little on the depth chart. The team currently has only Garrett Gilbert, Cooper Rush and Ben DiNucci behind QB1.

Rush has thrown three career passes, and DiNucci (a 2020 seventh-rounder) and Gilbert have each made one start. Barring a bigger-name veteran addition, Gilbert is currently the “favorite” to back up QB1 in 2021, Rob Phillips of the team’s official site writes. Phillips frames it as a battle between Gilbert and Rush without even mentioning DiNucci, who was disastrous in his lone 2020 start in prime-time against the Eagles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...to-back-up-dak-prescott/ar-AALOmIb?li=BBnbfcL
that's a huge drop off a cliff....but then again if back up QB has to play extensively, we are screwed anyway as we saw...I don't have any confidence in gilbert despite the 1/2 decent game against Steelers that seemingly has made him a Cowboy legend among some