Qbs not living up to their contracts

gtb1943

Reaction score
BURROW!!!!?????

He may be playing better than any QB this year. Certainly top 3

Plus, I know playoff record is a team stat but their playoff record with him is 5-2....including beating the Chiefs and going to an SB
I would give Allen the edge so far due to NO turnovers

FanofJerry

Reaction score
If I am an owner...I am paying market value for potential at QB as fan interest swells with a decent QB under center. Nothing turns a fan away from buying tickets, merch or turning off the tv like bad QB play...thats bad business.

The question becomes, how do you lessen the damage of paying a QB market value that doesnt pan out? Drafting is the go-to lazy answer. I think QB's should be on shorter terms since they get paid so much(no need to throw the NFLPA not voting for this) and/or implement some sort of rule that allows 2nd or 3rd string QB's to be poached from other teams mid-season.

You may laugh at the above suggestions...but the current situation of QB's with potential going to bad teams and not performing well, getting benched and never really getting a shot again....or 2nd and 3rd string guys that never see the field and never get a chance to prove themselves over multiple games....is not ideal. Sure, professional coaches see these guys in practice everyday and are paid good to evaluate these players.....thats why Tom Brady went in the 6th round.

The market value for QB's doesnt seem to be fixable by the league owners not signing large contracts to average QB's. The first team that needs a QB and an average QB becomes available...they will all open their wallets to market value salary for the average QB.

Something different needs to be done.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
BURROW!!!!?????

He may be playing better than any QB this year. Certainly top 3

Plus, I know playoff record is a team stat but their playoff record with him is 5-2....including beating the Chiefs and going to an SB
Burrow stats are better than he’s actually played. Especially in the fourth quarter of games he should’ve beat the Ravens.

John813

Reaction score
It's crazy with all the rules geared towards the offense in terms of hits, DB contact within 5 yards, how bad QB play can be in the NFL.

And then how bad some QB's can be and still get paid off potential or a small sample size

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Why only focus on the players? Coaches, owners, front office of the teams of these QBs who don't live up to their contract also are failing. Guarantee the QB is not even close to the only problem. Dallas is a big example of this. Our front office has failed time and time again. Terrible coaching staff. Plenty of players who fail. Jerry is terrible.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak: 2-5 playoff record, and not even playing well in the regular season this year.

T. Lawrence: hasnt even came close to the hype, he's on the bust side so far. Jaguars had NO reason to extend him as early as they did.

Herbert: his rookie season is still his best year in the league

K. Murray: he puts up 1970 qb numbers

D. Jones: same as Murray

Tua: constantly injured, and another one who has never thrown 30 or more tds, embarrassing to say with the weapons he has

Hurts: he's nothing without the tush push, living off of one season, and another player who puts up 1970 qb numbers.

Watson: enough said, the Browns started this mess

Burrow is on the edge of being on this list.
Agree with you all the way to Burrow. He's already dragged a bad team to a Super Bowl in his second season. He's shown what he can do behind one of the worst offensive lines you've ever seen and a defense that was ranked 21st that year. It's gonna take a LOT of really bad football out of him before he even sniffs this list.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jackson and Allen are playing the best, probably.

Jayden, Burrow, Goff and a couple of others aren't too far behind...so far

jmo
I agree. Some bad qb being played. I’d say Lamar and Goff are playing the best. Allen has been inconsistent but his team screwed him so I get why. He’s been top 5 sure.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Why only focus on the players? Coaches, owners, front office of the teams of these QBs who don't live up to their contract also are failing. Guarantee the QB is not even close to the only problem. Dallas is a big example of this. Our front office has failed time and time again. Terrible coaching staff. Plenty of players who fail. Jerry is terrible.
I agree with this.

My opinion is that Dallas has lacked at being prepared and creative in the Playoffs...we get out-schemed and out-coached.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The market value for QB's doesnt seem to be fixable by the league owners not signing large contracts to average QB's. The first team that needs a QB and an average QB becomes available...they will all open their wallets to market value salary for the average QB.

Something different needs to be done.
How is that not fixing the issue? If a team doesn't feel they can win by paying an average QB huge money they should trade or let that player walk in free agency. If that player moves to another team in theory it should just drag that new team down that overpaid.

Minnesota seems to be just fine letting an average QB walk. Tampa Bay is fine after a very average version of Brady retired. Seattle has been competitive since trading an average QB.

I think the true issue is simply how much of an emphasis teams put on the QB. For most QBs in this league if you surround them with talent they can have success. Jared Goff is a great example of that.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It's crazy with all the rules geared towards the offense in terms of hits, DB contact within 5 yards, how bad QB play can be in the NFL.

And then how bad some QB's can be and still get paid off potential or a small sample size
I actually agree with the way most FO's are approaching the QB...

Per the NFLPA, 90% of the cap has to be used each year. Has to. You cant blame the players for creating so much revenue. The owners and the players are getting paid well...and that is good.

The Owners have decided to pay the QB the most money because its the most important position. Why lower QB pay and over-pay less important positions? How they are doing it now makes sense, imo. Only way to fix it is to cap QB percentage of cap and then spread those few million dollars around to other players.

I think QB's should be on short terms for their first 6 years in the league with the drafting team having some sort of bird rights.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
How is that not fixing the issue? If a team doesn't feel they can win by paying an average QB huge money they should trade or let that player walk in free agency. If that player moves to another team in theory it should just drag that new team down that overpaid.

Minnesota seems to be just fine letting an average QB walk. Tampa Bay is fine after a very average version of Brady retired. Seattle has been competitive since trading an average QB.

I think the true issue is simply how much of an emphasis teams put on the QB. For most QBs in this league if you surround them with talent they can have success. Jared Goff is a great example of that.
Nothing against you, I like your posts on this board...

But I have said this a million times...the Owners are not going to collude and all agree to not pay average QB's 20% of the cap. Why? Because every year there are a few teams with talent and upbeat coaches and locker rooms that feel they are only a QB away. If an average vet QB becomes available, all those teams will offer top dollar for the average QB. Every owner will turn his back on the deal they made with the other owners. There is no correcting the situation with lowering the pay of average QB's...it just doesnt seem possible based on the example I provided above.

If there are 3 teams that seem to have the talent and upbeat locker rooms but only 1 Kirk Cousins is available...those 3 teams arent forgoing the season with a trash rook QB...they are all going after Kirk Cousins, even if at 20% of cap. They arent acquiring Cousins for a fair price to fans. There is no fair price when having to outbid others for important positions.

Hopefully that makes sense.

tm1119

Reaction score
Coaching, culture and overall health of the organization are the most important parts of a successful QB. The bigger issue is teams signing QB’s without those things in place and then wondering why the QB fails.

Sam Darnold- played for 2 bad organizations and didn’t even look like he belonged in the NFL. Goes to the Vikings, who have a good coach, and now he’s playing like a pro bowler.

Patrick Mahomes- Playing downright poorly but his team is 6-0.

Packers- It’s not a coincidence they are able to draft and develop high level QB’s

There’s A LOT more than “just go get the best QB” to having a successful team and most fans don’t want to admit that.

Easy to blame the player for being “overpaid” but in reality it’s organizational failure 95% of the time.

I firmly believe that if the Cowboys drafted Mahomes we’d still have 0 Super Bowls since ‘96 and would be complaining about the QB situation.

John813

Reaction score
I actually agree with the way most FO's are approaching the QB...

Per the NFLPA, 90% of the cap has to be used each year. Has to. You cant blame the players for creating so much revenue. The owners and the players are getting paid well...and that is good.

The Owners have decided to pay the QB the most money because its the most important position. Why lower QB pay and over-pay less important positions? How they are doing it now makes sense, imo. Only way to fix it is to cap QB percentage of cap and then spread those few million dollars around to other players.

I think QB's should be on short terms for their first 6 years in the league with the drafting team having some sort of bird rights.

QB handles the ball every snap, I get why they get paid the most, just the current mindset of anyone who has a hint of talent is now getting over 50mil AAV with some good guarantees.

Someone like Lawrence got 55mil cause of his draft pedigree and the fear of letting him walk and being in super QB purgatory again. But outside of small stretches, he hasn't lived up to the hype.
And it's not like he has no talent in Jacksonville.
I don't think the front offices prefer it as is, but are stuck with either overpaying or letting the QB hit FA, which very few teams end up doing.

morat1959

Reaction score
I’d take a flyer on Herbert and Burrow. The rest aren’t very good. Haven’t watched Lawerence enough to judge. I wasn’t that high on him coming out of college.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
These QBs are being paid to win games. So far the Cowboys are 3-3 and probably would be no better than 1-5 without Dak. He’s been far from terrible this season, but he’s had his struggles because of the team around him. We have no running game, our receivers aren’t getting open and our OL has struggled. Plus we have an awful defense. Although the Chiefs are undefeated, Mahomes has had his struggles. He has more INTs this season than Dak but he has a great team around him. There’s been a resurgence with some of these castoff QBs because they’re playing for much better teams than their original team. Both Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield have had more success since they left bad teams. You can’t just point the finger entirely at the QB you have to look at the team they play for.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Nothing against you, I like your posts on this board...

But I have said this a million times...the Owners are not going to collude and all agree to not pay average QB's 20% of the cap. Why? Because every year there are a few teams with talent and upbeat coaches and locker rooms that feel they are only a QB away. If an average vet QB becomes available, all those teams will offer top dollar for the average QB. Every owner will turn his back on the deal they made with the other owners. There is no correcting the situation with lowering the pay of average QB's...it just doesnt seem possible based on the example I provided above.

If there are 3 teams that seem to have the talent and upbeat locker rooms but only 1 Kirk Cousins is available...those 3 teams arent forgoing the season with a trash rook QB...they are all going after Kirk Cousins, even if at 20% of cap. They arent acquiring Cousins for a fair price to fans. There is no fair price when having to outbid others for important positions.

Hopefully that makes sense.
That's fair, but I think we have different ideas of what the issue really is. I really dont care what another team wants to pay a player, in fact if they want to handicap their salary cap numbers by overpaying an average player that works to my teams benefit, unless I simply missed on my teams evaluation of that player. I think the issue is teams feeling like they have to retain a QB at any cost in order to stay competitive instead of using the QB contract situation as a competitive advantage over other teams around the league.

To a certain extent I understand why this is....QBs sell tickets and jerseys just as you said, and having a decent QB is the easiest way to stay relevant. From a money making standpoint I get it, but from a fan perspective I'd rather have an extra $20-50M each year to build up the rest of my roster.