Qbs not living up to their contracts

FanofJerry

Reaction score
That's fair, but I think we have different ideas of what the issue really is. I really dont care what another team wants to pay a player, in fact if they want to handicap their salary cap numbers by overpaying an average player that works to my teams benefit, unless I simply missed on my teams evaluation of that player. I think the issue is teams feeling like they have to retain a QB at any cost in order to stay competitive instead of using the QB contract situation as a competitive advantage over other teams around the league.

To a certain extent I understand why this is....QBs sell tickets and jerseys just as you said, and having a decent QB is the easiest way to stay relevant. From a money making standpoint I get it, but from a fan perspective I'd rather have an extra $20-50M each year to build up the rest of my roster.
Yeah...I hate the duality of it. Owners own a sports team, but care about money. Going further and even more disgusting is....that is why over the past few years the phrase "Sports Entertainment" is often heard. Its a scummy way for owners to skirt having to answer questions about their team not performing well. They want to be relevant because of the money.

But...to address your main point...which is a very tough situation for GM's...they might lose the locker room if the FO is forgoing paying an average QB. Think about how easy the following situation could surface: Young rowdy team with talent and mojo but lacks a QB, GM refuses pay an available average QB and rolls with their inexperienced, sub-par QB...slowly the locker room becomes more and more jilted.

QB is so important to Football. Having one that is good enough to get you first downs to give the defense a breather is considered a luxury. Its not some position you can lolly-gag on or drag your feet on. I agree with you about sticking with your evaluations of the player and not wanting to strap your team to an overpaid average QB...but that is very hard to do if you have most pieces in place. I think shorter terms is the way to avoid teams getting screwed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How did you come to that conclusion? If Dak weren't a Cowboy, there would be another starter playing.

Dak isn't at that at all. He has had some clunkers already this year.
If Dak wasn’t here, there would be another starting QB playing, and they wouldn’t be near as good. We probably would’ve beaten only Cleveland without him. We struggled to beat the Giants by 5 points and the difference was we had the better QB who played very efficiently and Daniel Jones didn’t. We certainly wouldn’t have beaten the Steelers without Dak. He’s done pretty well considering the bad team he has around him. The running game has been nonexistent and our OL has struggled. You put any solid QB on a bad team and they’re going to have some problems.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Coaching, culture and overall health of the organization are the most important parts of a successful QB. The bigger issue is teams signing QB’s without those things in place and then wondering why the QB fails.

Sam Darnold- played for 2 bad organizations and didn’t even look like he belonged in the NFL. Goes to the Vikings, who have a good coach, and now he’s playing like a pro bowler.

Patrick Mahomes- Playing downright poorly but his team is 6-0.

Packers- It’s not a coincidence they are able to draft and develop high level QB’s

There’s A LOT more than “just go get the best QB” to having a successful team and most fans don’t want to admit that.

Easy to blame the player for being “overpaid” but in reality it’s organizational failure 95% of the time.

I firmly believe that if the Cowboys drafted Mahomes we’d still have 0 Super Bowls since ‘96 and would be complaining about the QB situation.
Well, because it's easier to be able to put the blame or heap the praise on a single player. People want to keep it simple and point to that one thing is the reason for success or failure.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Man these guys been in the league 3 or 4 plus years. It ain’t hype at this point you are what you are lol.
See...I think you have to take each situation and look at it individually. Obviously looking at team stats is unfair.

My example is Daniel Jones. His first 3 years in the league he was the most sacked guy in the NFL, couldnt even get a pass off. And...he is still being judged based on those awful squads while still in a crap situation.

I get that the guy might not be Tom Brady...but this guys situation has been awful his whole career. How do you evaluate him? Im sure he makes mistakes like everyone else...but Im not so sure the guy cant be a Sam Darnald. There are people here that will try and force you to believe that they know more than anyone else and that their evaluation of Daniel Jones being trash is gospel....but I just cant evaluate the guy based on his situation.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak: 2-5 playoff record, and not even playing well in the regular season this year.

T. Lawrence: hasnt even came close to the hype, he's on the bust side so far. Jaguars had NO reason to extend him as early as they did.

Herbert: his rookie season is still his best year in the league

K. Murray: he puts up 1970 qb numbers

D. Jones: same as Murray

Tua: constantly injured, and another one who has never thrown 30 or more tds, embarrassing to say with the weapons he has

Hurts: he's nothing without the tush push, living off of one season, and another player who puts up 1970 qb numbers.

Watson: enough said, the Browns started this mess

Burrow is on the edge of being on this list.
Needless to say, these QBs are not replacing the hall of fame QBs we lost.

The Jaguars extended Lawrence for cap purposes. His extension averages 55M I think. But since they signed him with two years left on his rookie deal, it averages out around 41M per year.

The biggest problem with these new QBs is, not only do you have to pay them top market value, but you also have to surround them with expensive talent at every position.

JayFord

Reaction score
I would pay Mahomes with a smile on my face.
I’d pay Patrick 800 million and I’m not joking

Dude literally won a SB with some of the worst talent at WR I’ve ever seen (defense really won it but still)

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Needless to say, these QBs are not replacing the hall of fame QBs we lost.

The Jaguars extended Lawrence for cap purposes. His extension averages 55M I think. But since they signed him with two years left on his rookie deal, it averages out around 41M per year.

The biggest problem with these new QBs is, not only do you have to pay them top market value, but you also have to surround them with expensive talent at every position.
I think all these Owners/GM's have agreed upon what the average cap percentage is for each position, and each Super Star at important positions.

Its my opinion, but I think everyone around the League is on board with how things are going with the QB market prices. And, I think the Agents and Owners all have an agreement on what percentages of the cap each position should warrant...from average player to Super Star player.

My point is, I think everyone around the League is in agreement. I dont think we will see an Agent advising a QB to ask for 30% of the cap anytime soon. I could be wrong.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Coaching, culture and overall health of the organization are the most important parts of a successful QB. The bigger issue is teams signing QB’s without those things in place and then wondering why the QB fails.

Sam Darnold- played for 2 bad organizations and didn’t even look like he belonged in the NFL. Goes to the Vikings, who have a good coach, and now he’s playing like a pro bowler.

Patrick Mahomes- Playing downright poorly but his team is 6-0.

Packers- It’s not a coincidence they are able to draft and develop high level QB’s

There’s A LOT more than “just go get the best QB” to having a successful team and most fans don’t want to admit that.

Easy to blame the player for being “overpaid” but in reality it’s organizational failure 95% of the time.

I firmly believe that if the Cowboys drafted Mahomes we’d still have 0 Super Bowls since ‘96 and would be complaining about the QB situation.
Darnold, Mayfield and Goff needed some seasoning

They are all better, but still have their limitations

gtb1943

Reaction score
If Dak wasn’t here, there would be another starting QB playing, and they wouldn’t be near as good. We probably would’ve beaten only Cleveland without him. We struggled to beat the Giants by 5 points and the difference was we had the better QB who played very efficiently and Daniel Jones didn’t. We certainly wouldn’t have beaten the Steelers without Dak. He’s done pretty well considering the bad team he has around him. The running game has been nonexistent and our OL has struggled. You put any solid QB on a bad team and they’re going to have some problems.
now of course I am not talking lance of course but bluntly speaking I think Cooper could have done about as good a job