Qbs not living up to their contracts

Flamma

Reaction score
I think all these Owners/GM's have agreed upon what the average cap percentage is for each position, and each Super Star at important positions.

Its my opinion, but I think everyone around the League is on board with how things are going with the QB market prices. And, I think the Agents and Owners all have an agreement on what percentages of the cap each position should warrant...from average player to Super Star player.

My point is, I think everyone around the League is in agreement. I dont think we will see an Agent advising a QB to ask for 30% of the cap anytime soon. I could be wrong.
I agree. What I was saying in the section you highlighted, QBs today need more talent around them. We're starting to see teams pay for two high priced WRs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only QB worth the money is Mahomes. Everyone else is overpaid. Veteran QBs in general are sucking up too much cap space and it is a problem that needs to be addressed in the next CBA.

( I am not impressed with Lamar's regular season exploits until he can do that in the playoffs and get his team to the super bowl. So don't throw him at me)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
See...I think you have to take each situation and look at it individually. Obviously looking at team stats is unfair.

My example is Daniel Jones. His first 3 years in the league he was the most sacked guy in the NFL, couldnt even get a pass off. And...he is still being judged based on those awful squads while still in a crap situation.

I get that the guy might not be Tom Brady...but this guys situation has been awful his whole career. How do you evaluate him? Im sure he makes mistakes like everyone else...but Im not so sure the guy cant be a Sam Darnald. There are people here that will try and force you to believe that they know more than anyone else and that their evaluation of Daniel Jones being trash is gospel....but I just cant evaluate the guy based on his situation.
I mean with DJ…he’s never shown it even in college.
Pretty big part of why it was even close too...
You could argue that. But let’s remember Dowdle fumbled. Game would’ve been over if he didn’t recover that.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak: 2-5 playoff record, and not even playing well in the regular season this year.

T. Lawrence: hasnt even came close to the hype, he's on the bust side so far. Jaguars had NO reason to extend him as early as they did.

Herbert: his rookie season is still his best year in the league

K. Murray: he puts up 1970 qb numbers

D. Jones: same as Murray

Tua: constantly injured, and another one who has never thrown 30 or more tds, embarrassing to say with the weapons he has

Hurts: he's nothing without the tush push, living off of one season, and another player who puts up 1970 qb numbers.

Watson: enough said, the Browns started this mess

Burrow is on the edge of being on this list.

I'm sure people will make excuses for these other highly paid quarterbacks. How ironic is it that all those quarterbacks on this list other than Dak, are all 1st rounders.

GINeric

Reaction score
Guess what, none of that matters, all they have to do is have a GREAT season before it's time for a new deal, and BOOM they're the highest paid in history!

Pretty much every other season there is a new "highest paid" quarterback who doesn't reach the Superbowl or doesn't lead his team deep into the playoffs.

It's hilarious that people act like Dak is the first in history to be the highest paid quarterback who haven't reached the highest levels of quarterbacking.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The first team to build a stacked team around rotating 1st rd QB's drafted every 5 years wins. Maybe even take on reclamation projects like Darnold when no 1st rd talent is available at your draft spot. Heck maybe even trade a good QB before the contract runs out for a series of extra draft picks.

If you're not paying your QB 60 mil a year you can build a really good team. IMO.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It has not happened in the real estate market. We will see if owners are any smarter.
There's a larger force at work there that has a much larger bubble that needs bursting. Sooner or later...

As to the topic at hand: The future QB moneyball of the NFL is to only pay QBs big contracts that win you a SB on their rookie deals, and getting rid of any QB who doesn't. This pig-in-a-poke QB contracts for what you hope they will do rather than what they have already shown you is biting too many teams in the butt.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak: 2-5 playoff record, and not even playing well in the regular season this year.

T. Lawrence: hasnt even came close to the hype, he's on the bust side so far. Jaguars had NO reason to extend him as early as they did.

Herbert: his rookie season is still his best year in the league

K. Murray: he puts up 1970 qb numbers

D. Jones: same as Murray

Tua: constantly injured, and another one who has never thrown 30 or more tds, embarrassing to say with the weapons he has

Hurts: he's nothing without the tush push, living off of one season, and another player who puts up 1970 qb numbers.

Watson: enough said, the Browns started this mess

Burrow is on the edge of being on this list.
Every year is different for QBs based on personnel, injuries, etc. That's why different ones shoot to the top each year. There are only a few who seem able to overcome most circumstances and stay consistently at the top.

Hurts is a good example of this. Philly showed that it could go to the Super Bowl with him, and he had a strong year because everything went right for the Eagles. Teams are going to reward that type of play because they know that they can win with those QBs in the right circumstances.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
There's a larger force at work there that has a much larger bubble that needs bursting. Sooner or later...

As to the topic at hand: The future QB moneyball of the NFL is to only pay QBs big contracts that win you a SB on their rookie deals, and getting rid of any QB who doesn't. This pig-in-a-poke QB contracts for what you hope they will do rather than what they have already shown you is biting too many teams in the butt.
Define how that will work?

Unless the NFLPA implements some of the rules the NBA has...I dont see how you can get teams to moneyball the QB position.

Every year there are a few teams that think they are a QB away. When average ones become available...the market reacts sharply.

No team is refusing to extend a QB that looks very good because the TEAM didnt win a SB during his rookie contract campaign.

Blue64

Reaction score
Well no matter what Mahomes does from now. He earned that contract.

I just think teams like the Jags, Giants, and Dolphins really screwed up the market by paying those 3 qbs as if they proved anything
Did you forget someone???
What has Dak proven in 9 years? Aside from being able to blackmail Jerry?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Did you forget someone???
What has Dak proven in 9 years? Aside from being able to blackmail Jerry?
Nah, I don't like Dak, but at least he can be a good regular season qb unlike the qbs of those 3 teams I mentioned