Question about Garrett

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think you can blame Garrett for Leonard playing like crap last week. (And hey, at least they did bench him for it.)

But on the whole, there's no doubt we ask our big, huge, Houck-style maulers to play on their heels and on the move a lot, which is another thing that doesn't make sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmcorp;3617035 said:
Why is he ill suited for it if it is very effective and has given us our best goal line plays. It didnt work this time because it is evident that we needed to take him out. which we did. he didnt play well but he run that play very well and has for the past two years.

He isn't, hasn't been, and never will be suited for pulling. If you can't or won't see that much, there's no point in talking about it further. Davis' game is power, not mobility. He'd have fit in well with Dallas' power lines of the '90's. He's miscast in Air Garrett's attack.

Yardage? The reason we have to have so much yardage is because our field position sucks. We constantly start within our 25. Our defense can only get a three and out if they are on our 50 yard line already. And god forbid they get a takeaway.

Once again the saints are struggling to score this year.

1. less takeaways.
2. less defensive scores.
3. less short fields.

something this offense has dealt with for the past 2 years. And continues to deal with because special teams and the defense suck.

I won't debate that fact, but that doesn't explain to me why the team can't score when they do get there? As you said, they move up and down the field, but when it counts, Garrett can't get the job done. All we have are the pretty yardage numbers and no scoring, equalling yet another loss.

now the offense is sucking in the red zone. hence fire garrett. but you dont rack up yards on offenses because the defense KNOWS YOUR PLAYS and has you figured out...thats just stupid.

What's 'stupid' is trying to use the yardage excuse at all. You either score points or you don't. No 'points' awarded for yardage, therefore they mean nothing.

Garrett's got the best offensive talent in the league at his disposal and the guy still can't score. Look at the numbers, it's been his MO since he got the solo coordinator job after Sparano left.

hmcorp

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3617048 said:
I don't think you can blame Garrett for Leonard playing like crap last week. (And hey, at least they did bench him for it.)

But on the whole, there's no doubt we ask our big, huge, Houck-style maulers to play on their heels and on the move a lot, which is another thing that doesn't make sense.

yeah like nate newton...we asked him to pull too.

this isnt hard people. you just see failure so assume the design is failed because it isnt working.

the players on the o line are overrated.

romo is running for his life. and our offense has to travel 70+ every drive. thats too difficult.

also we leave points on the field because we do not have a steady field goal kicker.

(ANOTHER reason the saints offense is struggling to score...)

saints #1 offense last year. why are they struggling this year?

less takeaways, short fields, defensive scores and bad kicking game.

just like us.

or we can just blame sean payton as somehow he is a bad signal caller.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Idgit;3616908 said:
Note: here's the screenshots of what I'm talking about on this particular play. This just *kills* me. And there's no reasonable way to blame a coach for this:

power+bad+L4.png

power+bad+L5.png

No reason other than the fact that he called a play that required a benched player to be the lead blocker.

If Davis is sucking so bad that he gets benched, I don't understand why he would be called upon to pull and lead the way.

hmcorp

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3617054 said:
No reason other than the fact that he called a play that required a benched player to be the lead blocker.

If Davis is sucking so bad that he gets benched, I don't understand why he would be called upon to pull and lead the way.

its a play he has excelled at for years now.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

No, of course you can't.

But you can sure blame him for putting the guy in that position.

Coaches are supposed to put players in a position to succeed. After getting benched, I can't understand how anyone would think Davis would be successful on such a play. He can't block the guy in front of him so he'll definitely be able to pull and lead block into the endzone. Why would you even tempt fate?

Dig deep into that playbook and find another play to call.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
hmcorp;3617057 said:
its a play he has excelled at for years now.

He made the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago, I don't suppose we should expect a return to that game this season. What has been the past and what is the present are not the same thing.

He was benched because he couldn't cut it.

He said he wasn't surprised. He knew how bad he was sucking.

If you have a kicker who misses a couple FGs in a game, it will likely change how you approach a possession when you are on the fringe of FG range.

I don't see why this is any different. If you have a guy who is having a bad game......an absolutely terrible game, why would anyone ask him to try and make a play.

It doesn't excuse Davis for the miss but it's just a compound mistake. Should not have asked the guy to do it and he shouldn't have missed.

He shouldn't have even been out there at that point anyway. I know Holland was hurt but I thought there were reports that he was ready to go back in.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Play Selection From Shotgun Formation
In 3 losses
95 passes, 3 runs
(1 run for every 31.7 passes)

In 1 win
17 passes, 5 runs
(1 run for every 3.4 passes)

I've posted this before, but I think it has a place in this thread for anyone who might have missed it, or who wasn't aware of it. We only ran once per game from the shotgun in the games we've lost. We ran out of the shotgun five times in the win, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the OL's best pass blocking performance came in the win, when we were mixing up the play calls.

Felix did not have a run out of the shotgun formation in any of the three losses. I don't see any reason why a Felix run out of the shotgun isn't something we would make it a point to do 5 times per game. It's the best possible way to slow down the pass rush.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course not, not entirely anyway. Davis' struggles in simple pass protection aren't Garrett's fault and are quite frankly inexcusable. I applaud whoever it was who had the guts to bench him.

This is my point, he's ill-suited to what Garrett's asking of him. He's a mauler who belongs on a power-running team. If Garrett isn't going to do that, Davis shouldn't be here.

And everyone should have known that before this season ever started. This shouldn't be any revelation to anyone.

hmcorp

Reaction score
stasheroo;3617070 said:
Of course not, not entirely anyway. Davis' struggles in simple pass protection aren't Garrett's fault and are quite frankly inexcusable. I applaud whoever it was who had the guts to bench him.

This is my point, he's ill-suited to what Garrett's asking of him. He's a mauler who belongs on a power-running team. If Garrett isn't going to do that, Davis shouldn't be here.

And everyone should have known that before this season ever started. This shouldn't be any revelation to anyone.

But davis has excelled at pulling. its how tashard scored that td against oakland last year.

sweet god itsl ike people havent watched this team at all.

I know he sucks now. But thats why I have been begging for more draft picks of offensive players and not defense for wades crappy no takeaway scheme.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
percyhoward;3617066 said:
Play Selection From Shotgun Formation
In 3 losses
95 passes, 3 runs
(1 run for every 31.7 passes)

In 1 win
17 passes, 5 runs
(1 run for every 3.4 passes)

I've posted this before, but I think it has a place in this thread for anyone who might have missed it, or who wasn't aware of it. We only ran once per game from the shotgun in the games we've lost. We ran out of the shotgun five times in the win, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the OL's best pass blocking performance came in the win, when we were mixing up the play calls.

Felix did not have a run out of the shotgun formation in any of the three losses. I don't see any reason why a Felix run out of the shotgun isn't something we would make it a point to do 5 times per game. It's the best possible way to slow down the pass rush.

Hard to get too riled with such a small sample of wins but if that trend continues it would be hard not to get really pissed.

hmcorp

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3617097 said:
Hard to get too riled with such a small sample of wins but if that trend continues it would be hard not to get really pissed.

doesnt help when you are constantly behind in those 3 losses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmcorp;3617089 said:
But davis has excelled at pulling. its how tashard scored that td against oakland last year.

'People' meaning you.

Davis has never excelled as a pulling guard. He's not built for it.

It's great that you can give one example where it went well, that's great, really.

I know he sucks now. But thats why I have been begging for more draft picks of offensive players and not defense for wades crappy no takeaway scheme.

This we can agree on.

Davis is miscast in the current offense and not playing well. It's too bad we don't have more options.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmcorp;3617100 said:
doesnt help when you are constantly behind in those 3 losses.

Poor excuse.

The team has never been behind to where you need to abandon your gameplan and become one-dimensional.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
hmcorp;3617089 said:

Might wanna find another game. Choice didn't score in that game.

hmcorp

Reaction score
stasheroo;3617113 said:
'People' meaning you.

Davis has never excelled as a pulling guard. He's not built for it.

It's great that you can give one example where it went well, that's great, really.

This we can agree on.

Davis is miscast in the current offense and not playing well. It's too bad we don't have more options.

Yes he has excelled. he was in a pro bowl he was so good at it.

god some people will go any length to dissaude themselves.

yes he sucks now. but thats on jerry. kept drafting for wades defense. great job.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
hmcorp;3617131 said:
I mean felix I guess. whoever scored the 60 yarder.

Choice had the 60 yard run and Felix had a 40 yard TD.

Neither had Davis pulling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmcorp;3617137 said:
Yes he has excelled. he was in a pro bowl he was so good at it.

So now he made the Pro Bowl because he was such a great pulling guard?!?!?

The absurdity of this place is beyond beliefe sometimes!

god some people will go any length to dissaude themselves.

Like inventing Tashard Choice TD's in Raiders games that never happened?