Question about Keyshawn

alancdc

Reaction score
Monstercat, good morning. Haven't spoken to you in a while. You will love Key, and I am fired up about him being in Charlotte. The Panthers will benefit on and off the field from his presence. ESPN will be in Spartanburg you can bet on that. I love Steve, but he still isn't the personality that 19 is. On the field it is easy to compare to Moose, but in my opinion it is in height and blocking only. 19 does not drop passes, and still does all the things Moose did like block downfield. As a Cowboy fan first I wish he had gone somewhere like KC, but as a Panther fan a close 2nd I love him being here.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Key laid it all on the line for us here in Dallas.. he badly wants a ring before his career is over.

I like his move to Carolina, he can be a solid#2 for you guys, earns the extra $$s he wanted and contend for a superbowl this year.

If Dallas can't win the superbowl this year then I'll be pulling for Carolina so Key gets the ring I think he deserves.

sago1

Reaction score
Agree with all the good things said about Keyshawn; really sorry to see him go. He can't get separation but uses his big body (6-4) to successfully wall off his defenders to come up with the ball & the 1st down; I saw stats which showed extrmely high number of his catches went for first downs (particularly in 3rd down situations). It might take a little while for your QB to adjust to throwing to him (like it did Bledsoe) because its like throwing into coverage but Keyshawn will make the catch. Also did much more then required to help the team win; he often was kept inside as a blocker (thus limiting our passing game) to keep Bledsoe alive (poor OT play). Hated to see him go. Will be a tough game when 2 of us meet; of course last year's game was pretty exciting.

Tell Falcon fans "they just don't know a good WR when they see one cause they don't have one on their team" but then they don't have much of a passing game either. BTW: both your team and ours will win a SB before Atlanta even comes close.

superpunk

Reaction score
TX_Yid said:
Key laid it all on the line for us here in Dallas.. he badly wants a ring before his career is over.

I like his move to Carolina, he can be a solid#2 for you guys, earns the extra $$s he wanted and contend for a superbowl this year.

If Dallas can't win the superbowl this year then I'll be pulling for Carolina so Key gets the ring I think he deserves.

pssst...he already has a ring. With the Bucs....

But yeah, you get a pretty good idea about Key from this thread. Noone really wanted him here when we first made the trade. But once he came, and we realized all that malcontent BS was just media manufactured, and the guy really just wants to win, that misconception was laid to rest. Key is a great guy, after scoring a touchdown at home, he would always just run to the sideline and hand the ball to one of the special needs children sitting along the sideline. Some people said it was for show, I think he just really cares. He's a hell of a teammate, and he should respect a coach like Fox.

That being said, the production isn't going to be all that great, although admittedly better than anything the Panthers trotted out last year. He's gotten alot slower, doesn't ever draw more than one defender, and he seems to drop a few more now. But he can still be a very solid #2.

I also think he fits Carolina like a glove. Key is a phenomenal blocker. I don't know how often they run that GD WR screen to Smith out of a twin WR set, but Key will get after it every time they do, and neutralize his man outside.

Congrats, you got a hell of a guy.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
It's a very nice signing for the Panthers. I'd much prefer he did not go to a rival team. In a nut shell, Key is a winning player. He is an extremely competitive guy and as has been said will make the tough catches and block.

My only word of caution: you have to throw the ball to Key when he isn't open, which is basically all the time because Key has the speed of a tight end. Bledsoe could do that after he got used to it. Delhomme IMO is in and out with his accuracy on the short to intermediate routes which is KJ's bread and butter so you'll probably see some extra picks this year from Jake.

monstercat

Reaction score
alancdc said:
Monstercat, good morning. Haven't spoken to you in a while. You will love Key, and I am fired up about him being in Charlotte. The Panthers will benefit on and off the field from his presence. ESPN will be in Spartanburg you can bet on that. I love Steve, but he still isn't the personality that 19 is. On the field it is easy to compare to Moose, but in my opinion it is in height and blocking only. 19 does not drop passes, and still does all the things Moose did like block downfield. As a Cowboy fan first I wish he had gone somewhere like KC, but as a Panther fan a close 2nd I love him being here.

Good morning to you...and thanks for the post.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
superpunk said:
pssst...he already has a ring. With the Bucs....

Man I totally spaced on that.

There was an interview with Key in the last few games of the season where hesaid how he was telling the younger guys to suck it up that the old guys weren't getting any younger and that he wanted a ring before he retired.. made it sound like he didn't already have one.

Guess he really was just being greedy :laugh2:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Great blocker and a true Redzone weapon.

Ask them who the Falcons number 2 reciever is/was last year and then compare the stats.

When a RB gets into the secondary, ask them if they like the fact the saftey has Key in his face.

Deangello Hall or whatever the name of their little CB in Atlanta will get totally out muscled by Key.

Good luck with the smack.

monstercat

Reaction score
Thanks Cowboy fans for your comments. Thanks to you, I am more jacked up than ever with our FA signings. Can this season get here soon enough?

Givincer

Reaction score
It's a real misconception that Keyshawn is a distraction and a cancer etc. He is none of that. He'll do all it takes to win and not complain about anything. You want him to be in the backfield to block for the quarterback he'll do it. He'll do whatever it takes to win, he's a real team player, often times that is the exact opposite of how he is portrayed and perceived.

Jay

Reaction score
Someone said that Key is no longer capable of being a 1,000 yard receiver, and that person couldn't be any farther from the truth.

monstercat

Reaction score
Jay said:
Someone said that Key is no longer capable of being a 1,000 yard receiver, and that person couldn't be any farther from the truth.
Actually, it really doesn't matter if he gets 1000yds. All we need is a good #2 who can catch the crucial 3rd down passes and who will block downfield. From what I already knew about KJ and everything you guys have told me, I believe we have the perfect guy.

Here's to an injury free 06 season!