Question about Keyshawn

monstercat

Reaction score
Hey Cowboy fans. I'm a Panther fan who's been in a debate on the Falcons board about Keyshawn Johnson. They keep saying how KJ will be a distraction and hurt our team. I was just wondering what your take is. Thanks

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Key was NEVER a distraction and did nothing to hurt our team. He did nothing but HELP our team. You've got an excellent player and an even more excellent teammate.

Bizwah

Reaction score
monstercat said:
Hey Cowboy fans. I'm a Panther fan who's been in a debate on the Falcons board about Keyshawn Johnson. They keep saying how KJ will be a distraction and hurt our team. I was just wondering what your take is. Thanks

I loved Key as a Cowboy, and I hate to lose him.

He brought toughness to our WR corps. Word has it that we were trying to re-sign him.

He was a fine addition to our team, and a great redzone threat.

But of course, he was playing for Parcells.....a coach he loves.

No distractions for us.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Key will make a GREAT compliment to Steve Smith. IMO your offense was really one dimensional with Steve Smith and became even worse with the loss of Foster entering the playoffs. A true #2 WR was really about the only thing the Panthers lacked last season and with the addition of Keyshawn that problem has been solved and puts the Panthers right up there as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the NFC.

monstercat

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, please keep the responses coming because I'm very interested in your opinions.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
I think Johnson will prove to have been one of the top 3 free agent acquisitions league-wide when the 2006 season is in the books. What Steve Smith should be able to do with someone of his caliber across the field, taking into account what he was already able to accomplish last year with guys like Colbert, Proehl, and Drew Carter, should be off the charts.

The "distraction" angle that the Falcons fans are taking seems like equal parts desperation and lazy research. Johnson's reputation as a "distraction" is terribly overrated and seems to stem from his controversial quotes regarding Chrebet almost a decade ago, and his disagreements with Gruden in Tampa 3 seasons ago. Everything else regarding Johnson involves hard work, passion, and willingness to be a team player, from what we saw up close here for 2 seasons.

The only caveat--tell Delhomme to put in some earplugs, because he'll have two well-meaning but loud and emotional guys asking him for the ball all the time!

monstercat

Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
I think Johnson will prove to have been one of the top 3 free agent acquisitions league-wide when the 2006 season is in the books. What Steve Smith should be able to do with someone of his caliber across the field, taking into account what he was already able to accomplish last year with guys like Colbert, Proehl, and Drew Carter, should be off the charts.

The "distraction" angle that the Falcons fans are taking seems like equal parts desperation and lazy research. Johnson's reputation as a "distraction" is terribly overrated and seems to stem from his controversial quotes regarding Chrebet almost a decade ago, and his disagreements with Gruden in Tampa 3 seasons ago. Everything else regarding Johnson involves hard work, passion, and willingness to be a team player, from what we saw up close here for 2 seasons.

The only caveat--tell Delhomme to put in some earplugs, because he'll have two well-meaning but loud and emotional guys asking him for the ball all the time!

Believe me, Delhomme is used to getting an earfull from Smitty. lol

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Key was a great player ..... I truly hoped he could have retired a Cowboy .....

The Panthers are a lucky team.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
You are getting a blue collar player who will make the tough catches, block down field, and won't quit on the team no matter the score or team record. I don't know that you'll find a single poster here who wasn't sorry he left. Most of us would take him back here in a heartbeat.

Good luck in '06, I am looking forward to the Cowboys-Panthers NFC Championship game.

ddh33

Reaction score
Good player. His reputation is exaggrerated. Having said that, there probably will be a time where Keyshawn says something, (that won't be that big of a deal) and the media will run with it...forever.

On the field, you'll probably love him. The guy is a football player, and he'll do whatever it takes to help the team win.

monstercat

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
You are getting a blue collar player who will make the tough catches, block down field, and won't quit on the team no matter the score or team record. I don't know that you'll find a single poster here who wasn't sorry he left. Most of us would take him back here in a heartbeat.

Good luck in '06, I am looking forward to the Cowboys-Panthers NFC Championship game.
I believe we play you guys in Charlotte next season. Hopefully it will be a prime time game.

I'm really impressed with your responses so far. I appreciate it.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
There's no chance he'll hurt the team. He wanted to be reunited with Henning and play on a championship caliber team. He's clutch and he brings it, every game. Perfect compliment for Steve Smith. Should help the running game too.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
You got a great player in Key, but it seems pretty obvious he was just trying to get one more $$$ contract.

He will help Jump Ball Jake alot.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
monstercat said:
I appreciate it.
We appreciate you coming to us with respect ...... I wish some of the Commander and Eagle fans could learn from your example.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
When they set up screens for SS it will be a thing of beauty. I was really sad to see Key go, he was my second favourite Cowboy. If he was in Dallas any longer I would of picked up his jersey. Once he is in the game Key won't complain.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He will really help the running game and short yardage passing game. He won't break plays like Steve Smith obviously but he is so consistent at getting into position for 3rd down catches and at blocking.

He's a good vet.

I think he'll be fine as a Panther. On a poor ATL team with an erratic passer he might have been a mess.

monstercat

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
We appreciate you coming to us with respect ...... I wish some of the Commander and Eagle fans could learn from your example.

No reason not to, however, I probably will be back to talk a little friendly smack before we play next season. Don't worry though, I know how to talk football without being a jerk. (I think)

Eskimo

Reaction score
Key should be a good compliment to Steve Smith running the underneath routes and taking the punishment. He is also an effective and willing downfield blocker who will even occasionally aid in blitz pickup.

I think he is a good #2 WR at this stage of his career which is why he wasn't a good fit in Dallas - we have Terry Glenn as our #2 but we were lacking a true #1 WR. Likely when the FO decided they wanted TO, they knew keeping Keyshawn was probably not a good idea. What I mean by that is Keyshawn would now be the #3 WR and would be earning peanuts compared to the eternal malcontent TO - this would be a recipe for disaster IMO.

Thus Key got his release, some more $ and should be used more effectively in Carolina than he would have been here in Dallas.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
HE IS AS SLOW AS MOLASSES, You will see he was as done as Eddie George. He was a good player but its over, just like Nate...

monstercat

Reaction score
BARRYRAY said:
HE IS AS SLOW AS MOLASSES, You will see he was as done as Eddie George. He was a good player but its over, just like Nate...
Was he ever fast?