Question For The Old-Timers

IceBowler

Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Lost the passion around 1998. I got it back a bit when Parcels was hired, but that slipped away when Jerry hired carrot top. Pretty much stopped caring about results after Garrett was able to keep his job after 3 straight 8-8 seasons. These days, because Garrett is still there, I rarely catch a game whether I'm working or not. I haven't seen either of the first 2 games and it doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Jerry, get rid of Garrett so I can enjoy football again.

Yes, I know this about the product on the field. To be frank, I like the college game more these days.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
I love it!!! Rules change all the time, if the players can adjust why can't the fans? I played and coached for 40 years, rules changed, we adapted. No big deal.

Aven8

Reaction score
Everything evolves. That's nature. I never thought I would be typing on a message board back in the day talking about football all day everyday but I am. The game has changed but it's still the same game I grew up loving. It's the greatest game in the world!

ShortRound

Reaction score
I was more idealistic when I was a kid/teen, the players were bigger than life. Now I seem to hear more gossip and crap about players and coaches because of twitter and the web. Kind of removes the mystique of it all.

I think we're getting older and crankier, it's not the game.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Players today are actually slower and brittle. The game was played faster and harder then. It's way more sloppy now. I'm not an old head, in my mid 30''s but been watching football before I was 10.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The bump and run, my goodness that alone seems like a 100 years ago..

I remember a game back in the early 80’s in which Randy White took off his helmet to clobber some other players. And he didn’t even get ejected from the game lol

Fun times. To me the game is getting soft, like @Ranching ’s heart for Carrott Top...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Players today are actually slower and brittle. The game was played faster and harder then. It's way more sloppy now. I'm not an old head, in my mid 30''s but been watching football before I was 10.

Their jay jays are too sensitive these days. Back in the day the good players wouldn't miss too many games with a minor injury because they feared someone might take their job away while they were out.

JayFord

Reaction score
From 1991-2010 i used to race home andcwatch games and take it personal if we lost. Now i dont care the nfl is a business and the athletes probably dont care as much as the fans. The product itself is just one big ad.

Starting 2015 season i phased out almost completely due to the insane amount of commercials and draft kings ads that played twice during every commercial

I used to follow up every game win or lose by watching espn but i dont watch espn period anymore. Every topic is dallas this dallas that dallas sucks

Flamma

Reaction score

For me the game was better for a few reasons. Years ago teams had identities. You don't see that too often anymore as many teams are completely different in a matter of 2 seasons. The other thing that bothers me is not only the amount of penalties, but just how many bad calls are made. Finally, I keep hearing bigger and faster, and that may be the case. But the game was played faster and more aggressively in the early 90s than it is today. Don't believe me? Go back and watch some of those games from the early 90s. They are readily available. It was the first thing I noticed.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I guess I'm a old timer (fan since the 70's) and I miss when our Cowboys we're the most exiting team in the NFL....the shotgun...doomsday....today's Cowboys team no matter what success it may have now or in the future is boring being without what made our Cowboys America's team.....the long passing game is gone....the trick plays are gone...the great coaching..we no longer have a 88 out there....we no longer have a QB who you have confidence will bring you back and win it in the final seconds....we are a Boring and anemic offense and 1 long (Last week) TD pass in 10 games pretty much says it all for our Cowboys of today.....if this continues our status as America's team will be tested as the fan base will phase out as we no longer have the fundamentals that made our team America's team......This is what happens when a oil man decides to play GM of a football team....shame ......

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The bump and run, my goodness that alone seems like a 100 years ago..

I remember a game back in the early 80’s in which Randy White took off his helmet to clobber some other players. And he didn’t even get ejected from the game lol

Fun times. To me the game is getting soft, like @Ranching ’s heart for Carrott Top...
Lol!!! No mames!!!!

SaltyNovice

CowboysRangers
Reaction score
Yes, I know this about the product on the field. To be frank, I like the college game more these days.

This a hundred fold....
I still watch my cowboys, and I still care. But it isn't the same - don't get me wrong - there was a lot of "issues" back in our day...hahahah. But things that were supposed to fix our old problems - seem to have missed the mark. Example: Instant Replay...I now liked it better with the Referees just calling the game and letting us blame the officials for losses... and the political problems are just "sick". But I'm an old man now so I get to complain without being understood...lol