Question For The Old-Timers

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
Not much has changed. Football is football.

I just resent the manner in which the game is being radically adjusted with every single knee jerk reaction to litigation.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Rule changes haven't affected my love for the game. I just noticed that, for something I can't control, it affected me way too much. If the Cowboys lost, I'd be depressed for days. As time went on I learned to distance myself from the game, but in doing so I lost most of my passion for football specifically but sports in general. I used to watch every game I could. Now I really only watch the Cowboys, if I bother doing that.

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
I remember being so passionate about the nfl that I watched every game on sunday and mnf. over the last probably 10 years or so, that's waned to the point that all I watch is the Cowboys game.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I still enjoy the game but my frustration has expanded. There was once a time when I was only frustrated when my team or players didn't make plays, now they make a good football play and they get flaged for it. Defensive players can't go up to block pass for fear they may graze the quarterback's helmet. Defensive lineman or held to a different standard as far as the chop block.

What I mean by that is if they are contacted by an offensive lineman and driving them down they can't even hit the quarterback low. Defensive backs can't even put a shoulder into the midsection of a receiver because he's considered defenseless.

Running backs can't lower their head and Brace themselves for impact. I never want to see a player injured but I enjoy a good hit. I remember Reggie Bush getting hit so hard he threw up, that's just physical football. I miss that:(

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...

I hate football in domes. I miss Texas Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium (Vikings being an indoor team is ridiculous), the Baltimore Colts, Tampa Bay's creamsicle uniforms, fullbacks who actually ran the ball and caught passes, QBs lining up under center (I remember when Landry brought the shotgun back, now it's almost all you see), Pat Patriot (old New England logo), dirty uniforms, and dudes getting blown up if their QB hung them out to dry.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Oh there are many things to say on that but the thing that bugs me the most and REALLY bugs the bleep out of me is how brief it seems that you can enjoy players. Take D Lawrence, he just arrived, after drafting him and waiting for his development and then finally seeing him become a major player we are already subjected to discussions of "how could we afford to keep him" The Cowboys are the most valuable franchise in US sports and as soon as your DeMarco Murrays and your Tank Lawrences do well it seems like you have this tiny window to enjoy them. We already hear "how can afford this o line" I can remember all the linebacking corp and d-lines and o-lines of so many previous decades yet now its enjoy this guy while he lasts because he will be gone before you know it.

HankC

Reaction score
I've been a Cowboys fan since 1960, as my family moved to Texas that summer. The biggest negative change I have seen in the NFL game, by far, is the decreased focus on the team and teamwork because of the overwhelming focus on the star players today. This is horribly aggravated by the attention given to 'Fantasy Football'. The athleticism and individual performances are much better but toughness of some players and the quality of team play are worse. I am still a fan and watch every game (the only reason we have Direct TV and NFL Sunday Ticket), but I believe the NFL will continue to lose supporters.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

I also hate how players go ape sheet after they do anything, make a sack, score a touchdown, throw a completion. They freak out like a poor person who just won the lottery. Go to youtube, watch a game from the 70's you score a td you act like youve been there or you act like the game isnt over yet and you may still actually lose if you dont save your energy and focus. But now they have to act like a housewife on the Price is Right after winning the showcase prize.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I don't know what qualifies as "old timer"

To my son, I'm an old timer.

I love the Lyle Alzado's, LT's, Bob Lilly's, Dick Butkus's, Mean Joe Greene's of yesterday. And the way the game used to be played. I hate some of these new rules

Still, there isn't a more violent game in professional sports and I adore watching the Suh's step on the legs of Rodgers, or Burfict earhole whomever. The Greg Hardy's. It's still violent, and it will always be. Just root for the dirty players.

Cap12

Reaction score
They let the guys play more back in the day. The hits were harder and the QBs took a beating because the defenders could get away with more. The WRs got crushed going over the middle. After Stingley got paralyzed by Tatum they had to clean some of that cheap cr@p up. Like with anything. it's good and bad. All I know is that I respected Pete Rozelle and liked the league. Today, I can't stand Goodell or the league (a bunch of whiny hypocrites, who never get anything right). Still love the Cowboys though. Always will.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I also hate how players go ape sheet after they do anything, make a sack, score a touchdown, throw a completion. They freak out like a poor person who just won the lottery. Go to youtube, watch a game from the 70's you score a td you act like youve been there or you act like the game isnt over yet and you may still actually lose if you dont save your energy and focus. But now they have to act like a housewife on the Price is Right after winning the showcase prize.
Lighten up.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I love it!!! Rules change all the time, if the players can adjust why can't the fans? I played and coached for 40 years, rules changed, we adapted. No big deal.
Ill tell you why - because they litigate so many plays. Its not merely a matter of change, its a matter of changing, then changing back, then back again..or changing but yet so many people are still unclear. I blame much of this on the tv crew. The director and announcers go over any play with any ambiguity on a rule over and over and over showing each angle 5 or 6 times each and the announcers making the same points multiple times. Just say you dont agree or say you dont know and move on. They are ruining the tv experience for me. Change is fine but stop litigating the nuances so much.