Question For The Old-Timers

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They let the guys play more back in the day. The hits were harder and the QBs took a beating because the defenders could get away with more. The WRs got crushed going over the middle. After Stingley got paralyzed by Tatum they had to clean some of that cheap cr@p up. Like with anything. it's good and bad. All I know is that I respected Pete Rozelle and liked the league. Today, I can't stand Goodell or the league (a bunch of whiny hypocrites, who never get anything right). Still love the Cowboys though. Always will.
I had several players taken to the hospital with head injuries, one in a helicopter that landed on our 50 yard line during the game. I don't mind rules that help protect the players.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ill tell you why - because they litigate so many plays. Its not merely a matter of change, its a matter of changing, then changing back, then back again..or changing but yet so many people are still unclear. I blame much of this on the tv crew. The director and announcers go over any play with any ambiguity on a rule over and over and over showing each angle 5 or 6 times each and the announcers making the same points multiple times. Just say you dont agree or say you dont know and move on. They are ruining the tv experience for me. Change is fine but stop litigating the nuances so much.
Whatever, I lived it. The rules are good.

GenoT

Reaction score
I’m 66yo and have been a Cowboys fan since year one (1960 / 8yo). It’s really been an evolution, with too many slowly-changing variables to really pick out too many that can be directly compared.

Off the top of my head...

In the ‘60s, with the exception of a handful of stars, the players made a comparable-to-today pittance and virtually all of them had summer jobs. Very few ever had guaranteed contracts or agents and most played simply for the love of the game. And, since there was very little media coverage, as compared to today, for us younger fans, the players were almost mythical in what we viewed as their heroics. Nowadays, if a player wakes up on the wrong side of bed, it’s 24/7 news, via social media, with every “expert” in the world weighing in its importance, relative to that player’s perceived status.

Back then, O-lineman rarely got over 240-260lbs, with 300 pounders being considered freaks. D-lineman had wildly disparate sizes, with many LBs weighing 210, but certain DTs pushing 290-300lbs. QBs called their own games for the most part and virtually all teams had coaching staffs that numbered in single digits. The one thing that I miss is that, with much less player movement, the teams would often keep their cores together for 8-10yrs or more.

I actually prefer today’s game because, while not necessarily being better football players per se, the guys playing now are more often on the cutting-edge of athletic ability (even some of the 300lb+ guys) and the advancement in film and video studies, coupled with large, specialized coaching staffs, have honed the difference between winning and losing to a razor-thin line.

I could easily write a short novel about my interpretation of the evolution of pro football, but these are just a tiny handful of particular and general observances from almost 60yrs of watching the game.

IMHO, this game has always been great!

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m 66yo and have been a Cowboys fan since year one (1960 / 8yo). It’s really been an evolution, with too many slowly-changing variables to really pick out too many that can be directly compared.

In the ‘60s, with the exception of a handful of stars, the players made a comparable-to-today pittance and virtually all of them had summer jobs. Very few ever had guaranteed contracts or agents and most played simply for the love of the game. And, since there was very little media coverage, as compared to today, for us younger fans, the players were almost mythical in what we viewed as their heroics. Nowadays, if a player wakes up on the wrong side of bed, it’s 24/7 news, via social media, with every “expert” in the world weighing in its importance, relative to that player’s perceived status.

Back then, O-lineman rarely got over 240-260lbs, with 300 pounders being considered freaks. D-lineman had wildly desperate sizes, with many LBs weighing 210, but certain DTs pushing 290-300lbs. QBs called their own games for the most part and virtually all teams had coaching staffs that numbered in single digits. The one thing that I miss is that, with much less player movement, the teams would often keep their cores together for 8-10yrs or more.

I actually prefer today’s game because, while not necessarily being better football players per se, the guys playing now are more often on the cutting-edge of athletic ability (even some of the 300lb+ guys) and the advancement in film and video studies, coupled with large, specialized coaching staffs, have honed the difference between winning and losing to a razor-thin difference.

I could easily write a short novel about my interpretation of the evolution of pro football, but these are just a tiny handful of particular and general observances from almost 60yrs of watching the game.

:clap::bow:

Cap12

Reaction score
I had several players taken to the hospital with head injuries, one in a helicopter that landed on our 50 yard line during the game. I don't mind rules that help protect the players.
That's true. My big knock is that the game seemed so much simpler back then. Football was always big, but it has become so freakin' buttoned down and commercialized. I know that's the way of the world (to quote EW&F), but the owners and league office guys seem like a bunch of slimy, hypocrites. They come off badly on just about every major issue they've confronted and price the average fan out of participation. I will give Jerry this. He truly seems to care about his fan base and has done some amazing things to get folks involved with the team.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Back then, O-lineman rarely got over 240-260lbs, with 300 pounders being considered freaks. D-lineman had wildly desperate sizes, with many LBs weighing 210, but certain DTs pushing 290-300lbs. QBs called their own games for the most part and virtually all teams had coaching staffs that numbered in single digits. The one thing that I miss is that, with much less player movement, the teams would often keep their cores together for 8-10yrs or more.

I actually prefer today’s game because, while not necessarily being better football players per se, the guys playing now are more often on the cutting-edge of athletic ability (even some of the 300lb+ guys) and the advancement in film and video studies, coupled with large, specialized coaching staffs, have honed the difference between winning and losing to a razor-thin difference.

Great stuff, thank you, Geno!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rule changes haven't affected my love for the game. I just noticed that, for something I can't control, it affected me way too much. If the Cowboys lost, I'd be depressed for days. As time went on I learned to distance myself from the game, but in doing so I lost most of my passion for football specifically but sports in general. I used to watch every game I could. Now I really only watch the Cowboys, if I bother doing that.
You are just going through a phase. Eventually, when they lose, you will just chuckle softly to yourself. Then get angry or depressed later.

MS17

Reaction score
I started watching the Cowboys and NFL about the Ice Bowl era, 1960s. Great football, bigger than life heroes.
I think what we are now witnessing is the owners and NFL executive office very, very worried about risk management and player safety- ergo, litigation ($$). I agree that we need to brace for more rule changes, player protection.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have enjoyed watching the games in both the past and the present. There have always been things to find fault with if that's your leaning. I'm inclined to do my best to look past the things I don't like and concentrate on I do like, regardless of the way it was and the way it now is. Football will always be an exciting enough game that it makes other sports pale in comparison in my estimation. Of course, if it were to change into flag football, two-below, or something of that nature, it'd be another story!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ill tell you why - because they litigate so many plays. Its not merely a matter of change, its a matter of changing, then changing back, then back again..or changing but yet so many people are still unclear. I blame much of this on the tv crew. The director and announcers go over any play with any ambiguity on a rule over and over and over showing each angle 5 or 6 times each and the announcers making the same points multiple times. Just say you dont agree or say you dont know and move on. They are ruining the tv experience for me. Change is fine but stop litigating the nuances so much.
Why dont you say you don't agree and move on. I know I know more football than you. I'm not just a fan, I lived it?

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Free agency is appropriate, of course. Players should not be tied for a career to the terms and whims of one team. But it has changed the game. A kid growing up became extremely attached to players as well as to a uniform or a brand. A Dave Edwards, a Jethro Pugh or a Charlie Waters probably would move to greener pastures, these days. Only so many players can be paid.

The quality of play has probably suffered, though the players are bigger, stronger, faster. Units are not together as long. There really can be no more Willie, Lilly, Jethro and George or Fearsome Foursome.

I dislike the pick and peck passing game. I find it dull compared to the past. When a team went for broke on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, it was incredibly exciting. Now a pass is as likely as a run. The excitement isn't the same.

Zone defenses have taken away the Bob Hayes-style bomb, for the most part. I often wonder whether the game would be better if defensive players were allowed more contact - bump and run - but zones were outlawed or severely limited.

Offensive line play has really started to suffer the past few years, and there is no depth. Linemen aren't being developed in most college offenses - not to play the NFL game.

I would like to see the running game revived, but that won't happen while the rules reward short passing to the extent they do. And linemen often do not run block well.

Kickers have become so good there is less reward for long, well-executed drives, and it is too easy to get a team in a position to score. This has also made it easier for teams to cash in on a last minute scoring drive. Occasionally it feels preordained that the team with the ball last will win. The job of a Staubach was much more difficult.

The officials are much more a part of the game. They are too much a part of the game.

It is very, very difficult to win without a top tier QB. Not impossible, of course. Difficult. That has lead to owners advocating rules to protect investment.

The game is still good, though it seems to have degraded the past couple of years, possibly because of rules limiting practice. But players used to have off-season jobs so it might be less the practice issue and more the copious rules changes that have made it difficult for players to simply turn it loose and play.

Now get off my lawn.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Free agency is appropriate, of course. Players should not be tied for a career to the terms and whims of one team. But it has changed the game. A kid growing up became extremely attached to players as well as to a uniform or a brand. A Dave Edwards, a Jethro Pugh or a Charlie Waters probably would move to greener pastures, these days. Only so many players can be paid.

The quality of play has probably suffered, though the players are bigger, stronger, faster. Units are not together as long. There really can be no more Willie, Lilly, Jethro and George or Fearsome Foursome.

I dislike the pick and peck passing game. I find it dull compared to the past. When a team went for broke on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, it was incredibly exciting. Now a pass is as likely as a run. The excitement isn't the same.

Zone defenses have taken away the Bob Hayes-style bomb, for the most part. I often wonder whether the game would be better if defensive players were allowed more contact - bump and run - but zones were outlawed or severely limited.

Offensive line play has really started to suffer the past few years, and there is no depth. Linemen aren't being developed in most college offenses - not to play the NFL game.

I would like to see the running game revived, but that won't happen while the rules reward short passing to the extent they do. And linemen often do not run block well.

Kickers have become so good there is less reward for long, well-executed drives, and it is too easy to get a team in a position to score. This has also made it easier for teams to cash in on a last minute scoring drive. Occasionally it feels preordained that the team with the ball last will win. The job of a Staubach was much more difficult.

The officials are much more a part of the game. They are too much a part of the game.

It is very, very difficult to win without a top tier QB. Not impossible, of course. Difficult. That has lead to owners advocating rules to protect investment.

The game is still good, though it seems to have degraded the past couple of years, possibly because of rules limiting practice. But players used to have off-season jobs so it might be less the practice issue and more the copious rules changes that have made it difficult for players to simply turn it loose and play.

Now get off my lawn.
:espn: on your lawn!!! Lol!

Rayman70

Reaction score
EVERY play was a train wreck back in the 70s and 80's. It was like watching controlled brutality with the hits. When a player was truly great,it was special. Like a Walter Payton,Earl Campbell... The tackling was usually much better and something that was practiced. Much of the technique has been lost. Not too many transcendent players these days. Its a small handful. The over officiated games make it hard to get into the ebb and flow of it. Hard to watch.Give me the early 80's to early 90's any day. Everything is over promoted and underperforming.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I have no interest in the NFL whatsoever anymore except of course our Cowboys. It's become a league full of cry babies who could care less about the fans and instead want more and more money. Goodell has literally turned it into a three ring circus by having no restrictions. It's not even football anymore.

-College Football is exactly that....FOOTBALL.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
They should change the rules back to what they were in the 60's

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It has matured and gotten safer. that's the positive.

negatives:

1. Gone are the true grudge games play with serious and intense emotion. (These are what made the sport)

2. Gone are the men that use to played them with every fiber of their being. (With much less caution for their well being)

3. Gone are the mental thoughts of actually hurting someone on purpose (Maybe not all together but, it's much less common place)

4. Gone are the times when thoughts of playing for another team made you sick. ( Most would rather retire)

5. Gone are the times when our players were larger than life and could get away with anything. ( Some were truly above the law)

6. Gone are the times when you would rather get in your fathers face than your coach.

7. Gone are the times when you were promised nothing.

8. Gone are the time when you could actually hit a quarter back...…:lmao2::laugh:

9. Gone are the times when playing football was not ALL about the money. (It has always been, my point is the pride and fame factor)

Finally: Gone are times when Fantasy Football Would be a waste of time because fans could not bring themselves to pull for other teams players.

I will leave you with this and I am asking the old timers as well. Can you imagine after a game in Irvin Texas, Joe Jacoby and Harvey Martin exchanging jerseys and pics?