Question re: Dak and greed

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm not understanding your answer. As a fan, aren't you interested in super bowls?
Yes, which is why I said if I were Jerry I wouldn't pay him that much. But I still can't fault Dak for trusting in himself and trying to get the most money he can.
I have my opinion, but I also can understand the opinion of the player.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, which is why I said if I were Jerry I wouldn't pay him that much. But I still can't fault Dak for trusting in himself and trying to get the most money he can.
I have my opinion, but I also can understand the opinion of the player.
Getting the most money he can to the detriment of the team. I do blame him, and think it's pretty classless. It's not like they weren't offering him enough to make him unbelievably rich for life.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The most important thing is that Jones and the entire Cowboys organization knows it is too. It's nice to talk about the valiant team-orientation of Tom Brady, who sacrifices market-value contracts for the sake of the team; and maybe Brady's modest cap hits over the years was, truly, the greatest edge of the Patriots’ dynasty. It remains far more likely, however, that the greatest edge in New England was the marriage between the extremely talented coach and extremely talented quarterback. That's the plain reality of the Cowboys' current situation with Prescott: It may be competitively beneficial for Prescott to take a cheaper contract than the one he's apparently demanding. But it is far more competitively beneficial for Prescott to stay on the team, no matter the cost.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/article...llas-cowboys-contract-nfl-cap-2020-nfl-season

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it may be just a matter of time before the Dallas FO signs Dak to a contract.

If not, it's definitely not like the franchise tag would be anything disastrous, either!

To be sure, either alternative would likely have its benefits and/or drawbacks, too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think it may be just a matter of time before the Dallas FO signs Dak to a contract.

If not, it's definitely not like the franchise tag would be anything disastrous, either!

To be sure, either alternative would likely have its benefits and/or drawbacks, too.
Two months and waiting...lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's for sure . . . I think between the voluntary seclusion and the waiting it's been a grinding wait, at that! ;)
Lol, the West Coast is still very hot and relaxed criteria have increased cases...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lol, the West Coast is still very hot and relaxed criteria have increased cases...

Speaking of the "West Coast" -- to change the subject a tad, I believe Dak would benefit from that type of offense!

I'd welcome the change. Of course, that's assuming MM and staff saw fit to install it. I'm just hoping it's possible.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And how does this equate to a salary cap? Corso is correct, that is also not a capitalistic principle. Essentially, next man up is dictating what a player is paid. It's not based off of play or production. It's based off of simply being the next guy up. The cap limits pay and goes against open market principles. You can try and shoe horn this in any way you want but this system is not even close to true capitalism.

Heck, a rookie cap is completely against Capitalism. There are so many things that prove this wrong. This system is anything but Capitalism.

News flash, your "next man up is dictating what a player is paid." backup players do not set the price for player salaries. To say that because the United States of America is a capitalistic country and NONE of the principles of capitalism are not used by the NFL or NBA or MLB is to have extreme tunnel vision. Again in capitalism companies (NFL) not the government decides how much a person is paid AND a player is free to negotiate to get as much money as they can just like workers in other companies. In the real world there are many employment laws that have baring on employee pay just like the NFL has a salary cap but that does not take away they we live in a capitalistic society including NFL players. To end this at NO TIME did I say that the system used in the NFL (salary cap) is an example of capitalism. I've only said that just like in the capitalistic society we live in that players have the right to try to make as much money as they can just like other people in our capitalistic society. If you can't see that because we live in a capitalistic society and that tenets of that are part of and used in the NFL than there is no hope for you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
News flash, your "next man up is dictating what a player is paid." backup players do not set the price for player salaries. To say that because the United States of America is a capitalistic country and NONE of the principles of capitalism are not used by the NFL or NBA or MLB is to have extreme tunnel vision. Again in capitalism companies (NFL) not the government decides how much a person is paid AND a player is free to negotiate to get as much money as they can just like workers in other companies. In the real world there are many employment laws that have baring on employee pay just like the NFL has a salary cap but that does not take away they we live in a capitalistic society including NFL players. To end this at NO TIME did I say that the system used in the NFL (salary cap) is an example of capitalism. I've only said that just like in the capitalistic society we live in that players have the right to try to make as much money as they can just like other people in our capitalistic society. If you can't see that because we live in a capitalistic society and that tenets of that are part of and used in the NFL than there is no hope for you.

Just stop. You aren't providing anything anybody doesn't know. You are busy recreating definitions of things that are unilaterally accepted in the English Language by everybody in authority.

You can peddle this stuff to others but not to me. You want to believe that this represents Capitalism, fine with me. It doesn't but I'm not in the business of trying to educate those who have no desire to learn.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting the most money he can to the detriment of the team. I do blame him, and think it's pretty classless. It's not like they weren't offering him enough to make him unbelievably rich for life.

Can't blame the guy for going for broke here but it won't be the first time such ineptness is rewarded with unjustified monies of this magnitude.
There is still hope that the Jones boys have come to their senses and are done with Dak and just looking to move in Dalton in due time this coming season.
We wait and hope the best for our Cowboys!!!

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak should get whatever he can from Dallas as any of us would from our employee. Anybody in here willing to take a pay cut if you can get more? Or willing to settle for less then your fellow employee's are making? I think NOT.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I know I know, I just couldn’t help myself despite the numerous Dak threads.

This really isn’t a question of what you think he should be paid, or what he deserves, more do you honestly think it’s just “greed” considering the (league relative) peanuts he played for for 4 years?

No matter what your opinion on him as a player or as your teams QB, there is NO argument that he massively outplayed his draft position and associated contract. Stepping in from day one as the starter and on through the present, he’s made roughly what we’re giving Dalton to the be the backup for a year. And he did it without a peep. There was never any holdout talk, any salary talk, any hint of bitterness or entitlement, just did his job and fulfilled the contract in full and without any drama around it.

With that said, I (personally don’t begrudge him for pushing for whatever he wants, because that’s the mechanics of the league in the same fashion the contract he previously received and honored. I’m just not seeing the greed.

I can not stand to hear the BS about outplaying his rookie contract. He was drafted, he played, he started. Does every 4th rd Olineman that starts as a rookie outplay his rookie deal? Do we hear about it? The players agreed to the current CBA, and 4th rounders get what they get... period. The old guys sold the young guys out years ago... so you cant now tell owners hey, pay us old guys, but also throw out contracts of youngsters that"Outplay," their rookie deal.

Just ask yourself how many QBs youd take over Dak. Hell, I know of a college QB Id take over Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can not stand to hear the BS about outplaying his rookie contract. He was drafted, he played, he started. Does every 4th rd Olineman that starts as a rookie outplay his rookie deal? Do we hear about it? The players agreed to the current CBA, and 4th rounders get what they get... period. The old guys sold the young guys out years ago... so you cant now tell owners hey, pay us old guys, but also throw out contracts of youngsters that"Outplay," their rookie deal.

Just ask yourself how many QBs youd take over Dak. Hell, I know of a college QB Id take over Dak.
And the Cowboys offered him a massive upgrade in salary before the 19 season, and he turned it down.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak should get whatever he can from Dallas as any of us would from our employee. Anybody in here willing to take a pay cut if you can get more? Or willing to settle for less then your fellow employee's are making? I think NOT.
I am.

Fellow employees? Not really. This situation is not remotely alike to a general employee/employer situation.

Greed is a sin and is not a good thing.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Peyton Manning never worried about how the team was going to afford other players. It's incumbent on the team to figure out how to construct their roster while paying their QB.

I'm not even a big Dak guy - I think he's good, not great, not top 5 - but I don't fault him for trying to get what he thinks he's worth. I don't see Jerry voluntarily taking less money into his coffers.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I know I know, I just couldn’t help myself despite the numerous Dak threads.

This really isn’t a question of what you think he should be paid, or what he deserves, more do you honestly think it’s just “greed” considering the (league relative) peanuts he played for for 4 years?

No matter what your opinion on him as a player or as your teams QB, there is NO argument that he massively outplayed his draft position and associated contract. Stepping in from day one as the starter and on through the present, he’s made roughly what we’re giving Dalton to the be the backup for a year. And he did it without a peep. There was never any holdout talk, any salary talk, any hint of bitterness or entitlement, just did his job and fulfilled the contract in full and without any drama around it.

With that said, I (personally don’t begrudge him for pushing for whatever he wants, because that’s the mechanics of the league in the same fashion the contract he previously received and honored. I’m just not seeing the greed.

I want to comment on this "playing for peanuts" or "outplaying his contract" talk

Dak was drafted where he was.... that is pretty much the end of the story. He signed that contract when he joined the team.

That is on him.

Maybe he should have played better when in college. Maybe he should have went to a different school to showcase his skills better. How about maybe he shouldn't have got himself arrested while being a college QB.

Either way I do not care what he made on his rookie deal. Cowboys shouldn't overpay now because he was underpaid before.

and the fact that he got to start from day 1 and play all these years gave him all that endorsement money he got to earn which he wouldn't have as a backup QB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And the Cowboys offered him a massive upgrade in salary before the 19 season, and he turned it down.
Exactly.... Dak is trying to play the system, big time. Hey, make me the highest paid guy today, and then I know Mahomes is gonna blow me away, so I want a 3 year deal) is it 3 or 4 he is demanding?) so he can quickly use Watson and Mahomes deals to come back to the table and get more.

SCREW THAT. I seriously would be fine with Andy Dalton at 20 million for the next 3 years. I would be for a fair deal for Dak, and the offer that Jerry has given Dak is FAIR. There is no way anyone on here can say it isnt fair. Wouldnt this deal make him the highest paid player in the league? ow much more freaking fair can you get?