Questions regarding Mike White

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Cowboys drafted QB Mike White in the 5th round on draft night, I though it might mean the Cooper Rush experiment as a bonafide NFL backup was in peril. Usually, when an NFL team uses a 5th round pick on a QB, they are signaling a desire to patiently develop a guy. Mike White was considered a 3rd-5th round talent out of Western Kentucky with a good arm and a high football IQ.

But since camp has opened, it doesn’t seem that White has made any major positive impressions other than an occasional generic “good things” comment. Some folks at “Blogging the Boys” have suggested he’s been a slight disappointment and looks to be a practice squad guy at best.

Questions-
1. Has there been an accurate assessment of Mike White so far this summer?
2. How much can we expect to see White in ps games? I am assuming he’s going to get some more time in pre-season action to show something, so he certainly will have a chance to show something.
3. It seems Cooper Rush has outperformed White so far. Anyone have a different assessment?
4. Is White just waiting to show his stuff or just headed for the practice squad or worse?

I certainly hope we have #4 for all 16 and I’m predicting a really good year from Dak. But (god forbid) if something happened to him, I’m assuming Cooper Rush is still considered #2. Right?
Thoughts?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well, he's a late drafted rookie QB with some real talents and some real deficiencies.
QB'ing in the NFL, especially while transitioning from College has to be one of the hardest jobs, when it involves a game.

All we can do is wait and watch and hope for the best for him while hoping for the best for our current starter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very very raw rook w/ a great arm.

Hopefully we'll know by the end of preseason.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Cowboys drafted QB Mike White in the 5th round on draft night, I though it might mean the Cooper Rush experiment as a bonafide NFL backup was in peril. Usually, when an NFL team uses a 5th round pick on a QB, they are signaling a desire to patiently develop a guy. Mike White was considered a 3rd-5th round talent out of Western Kentucky with a good arm and a high football IQ.

But since camp has opened, it doesn’t seem that White has made any major positive impressions other than an occasional generic “good things” comment. Some folks at “Blogging the Boys” have suggested he’s been a slight disappointment and looks to be a practice squad guy at best.

Questions-
2. How much can we expect to see White in ps games? I am assuming he’s going to get some more time in pre-season action to show something, so he certainly will have a chance to show something.
3. It seems Cooper Rush has outperformed White so far. Anyone have a different assessment?
4. Is White just waiting to show his stuff or just headed for the practice squad or worse?

I certainly hope we have #4 for all 16 and I’m predicting a really good year from Dak. But (god forbid) if something happened to him, I’m assuming Cooper Rush is still considered #2. Right?
Thoughts?
I think a lot of fans fell in love with Mike White when they saw his highlight videos even though most players look good in highlight videos. I like his potential, but right now that's all it is .. potential.

Rush had a great pre-season last year which ultimately earned him the backup spot on the roster. I think Rush's lock on the backup position will hinge heavily on his performance during pre-season again this year.

If Rush plays poorly, I think the Cowboys will be more likely to bring in a veteran than simply bump White up to the #2 spot.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never liked the pick, but got so I could live with it. But so far I have not been impressed. But am willing to wait to see if he improves the next game.

I really did not like any day 3 picks except Covington, but so far have not heard much about him in TC.
And I only liked that he was a LB and we needed LB’s.

I did not think we needed the DE in Armstrong, but so fat I liked what I seen from him. And it was not that I didn’t not like the player, I jist did not like the position selection. But hope he proves me wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never liked the pick, but got so I could live with it. But so far I have not been impressed. But am willing to wait to see if he improves the next game.

I really did not like any day 3 picks except Covington, but so far have not heard much about him in TC.
And I only liked that he was a LB and we needed LB’s.

I did not think we needed the DE in Armstrong, but so fat I liked what I seen from him. And it was not that I didn’t not like the player, I jist did not like the position selection. But hope he proves me wrong.
Why you calling Armstrong fat?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans fell in love with Mike White when they saw his highlight videos even though most players look good in highlight videos. I like his potential, but right now that's all it is .. potential.

Rush had a great pre-season last year which ultimately earned him the backup spot on the roster. I think Rush's lock on the backup position will hinge heavily on his performance during pre-season again this year.

If Rush plays poorly, I think the Cowboys will be more likely to bring in a veteran than simply bump White up to the #2 spot.
If a player looks bad in their own highlight reel... LOL.

remdak

Reaction score
I don't think they will PS him. They aren't ready to admit it was a mistake yet. They will keep 3 QB's. Just my humble opinion.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Questions-

Thoughts?
Never fear.....if Dak goes down, Kellan Moore will hang up his whistle...

Toro9

Reaction score
Maybe Rush should have been drafted? He doesn't look great but he gets it done, in the preseason at least.

I expect the final PS snaps between the backups to end up about 60/40 toward Rush. He must show the Cowboys they don't need to sign another QB.

The QB with the most to prove usually ends up playing most of the final PS game. I expect that to be White with a little bit of Dalton Sturm.