Questions regarding Mike White

sbark

Reaction score
M.white fits a dak friendly offense ....throw at a open guy.. ..better than c.rush does, but right now his processing speed is on windows 95'

C.rush whos qb strength is anticipation and throwing a receiver open is hampered some by the changes in the offense so far

In event dak goes down, some elements of t.romos offense would need to be slipped back in for c.rush to look like he did last preseason

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
nobody has seen enough of White to say one way or the other about his success or lack of success.

conner01

Reaction score
QBs are in short supply. They are not like other positions. Watch a few exhibition games if you have any further questions.
They are in very short supply
And they are a valuable commodity
At the same time so are those other 52 roster spots
I liked the pick but I’m not sure he’s ready to take a roster spot at this point

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When the Cowboys drafted QB Mike White in the 5th round on draft night, I though it might mean the Cooper Rush experiment as a bonafide NFL backup was in peril. Usually, when an NFL team uses a 5th round pick on a QB, they are signaling a desire to patiently develop a guy. Mike White was considered a 3rd-5th round talent out of Western Kentucky with a good arm and a high football IQ.

But since camp has opened, it doesn’t seem that White has made any major positive impressions other than an occasional generic “good things” comment. Some folks at “Blogging the Boys” have suggested he’s been a slight disappointment and looks to be a practice squad guy at best.

Questions-
1. Has there been an accurate assessment of Mike White so far this summer?
2. How much can we expect to see White in ps games? I am assuming he’s going to get some more time in pre-season action to show something, so he certainly will have a chance to show something.
3. It seems Cooper Rush has outperformed White so far. Anyone have a different assessment?
4. Is White just waiting to show his stuff or just headed for the practice squad or worse?

I certainly hope we have #4 for all 16 and I’m predicting a really good year from Dak. But (god forbid) if something happened to him, I’m assuming Cooper Rush is still considered #2. Right?
Thoughts?
I’d assume using the 5th round pick was for him to become our backup or #2.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
3 more pre season games for White and unless he steps it up he will likely head to the PS.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are in very short supply
And they are a valuable commodity
At the same time so are those other 52 roster spots
I liked the pick but I’m not sure he’s ready to take a roster spot at this point
I’m completely neutral on Mike White. I was just trying to get some more feedback on a guy there seems to be little chatter about.

I wouldn’t have taken much interest in him if he had been an UDFA like Dustin Vaughn or even Cooper Rush. Draft picks are premium commodities so when a guy is drafted, I pay attention to what’s happening with that player. It will be interesting to see how Mr. White does with his remaining preseason playing time.

kskboys

Reaction score
nobody has seen enough of White to say one way or the other about his success or lack of success.
If I was pushed into a corner, I'd say that I basically liked what I've seen so far. While the game is still too fast for him, he didn't look freaked out and it appeared as if he was going through his progressions. Looked like he was playing under control.

Still, since it was such a tiny view of a very raw QB getting his feet wet, there's just not enough to really make any judgment at all at this time. There's no way to know at present whether he should be on the roster or PS. You can claim it either way right now, but there's just not enough.

John813

Reaction score
Would like to see with the #2's to see if he's worth holding onto.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Wait... Wait... Wait.... Are we to ignore reports out of camp that he’s extremely slow with his reads and such? I’m not saying he’s a bust or a super star. But this seems very hypocritical to me. I agree that he will need time to develop. But I don’t remember that narrative being pushed as much in regard to a few other players. But hey!!! It is what it is...

conner01

Reaction score
I’m completely neutral on Mike White. I was just trying to get some more feedback on a guy there seems to be little chatter about.

I wouldn’t have taken much interest in him if he had been an UDFA like Dustin Vaughn or even Cooper Rush. Draft picks are premium commodities so when a guy is drafted, I pay attention to what’s happening with that player. It will be interesting to see how Mr. White does with his remaining preseason playing time.
There is a few weeks and games to judge him by
I liked the pick and think he’s a guy worth trying to develope
But those 53 spots are so valuable and we will cut some guys who can play in this league. So what he has to show is enough to be worth cutting a guy for. That’s a tough job for the kid

kskboys

Reaction score
Never in my born days did I ever think I'd see QB's get bashed for throwing to the open guy. Amazing.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Never in my born days did I ever think I'd see QB's get bashed for throwing to the open guy. Amazing.
Lol!!! That is amazing, if not moronic. I’m just sick of all this “ Throw the receiver open” BS. That’s a load of crap. Either the man is open or he’s not. A thrown ball won’t miraculously make him separate from the defender. Boy I tell ya. Fantasy football and Madden games have gotten folks brainwashed. Lol

jday

Reaction score
When the Cowboys drafted QB Mike White in the 5th round on draft night, I though it might mean the Cooper Rush experiment as a bonafide NFL backup was in peril. Usually, when an NFL team uses a 5th round pick on a QB, they are signaling a desire to patiently develop a guy. Mike White was considered a 3rd-5th round talent out of Western Kentucky with a good arm and a high football IQ.

But since camp has opened, it doesn’t seem that White has made any major positive impressions other than an occasional generic “good things” comment. Some folks at “Blogging the Boys” have suggested he’s been a slight disappointment and looks to be a practice squad guy at best.

Questions-
1. Has there been an accurate assessment of Mike White so far this summer?
2. How much can we expect to see White in ps games? I am assuming he’s going to get some more time in pre-season action to show something, so he certainly will have a chance to show something.
3. It seems Cooper Rush has outperformed White so far. Anyone have a different assessment?
4. Is White just waiting to show his stuff or just headed for the practice squad or worse?

I certainly hope we have #4 for all 16 and I’m predicting a really good year from Dak. But (god forbid) if something happened to him, I’m assuming Cooper Rush is still considered #2. Right?
Thoughts?
For White, my guess is, it's all about Preseason game #4, where he will likely get the lions-share of snaps. That game, in my opinion, is the game that ultimately decides his future with the Cowboys. If he does enough that suggest he won't get past waivers, he likely makes the team. That simple.

As for my assessment of him after just one game of action when he was playing with guys that will be thanking you for choosing McDonalds in a few short months, I don't have him making the team. It's not so much because he did a whole lot of nothing; I just think based on what we know of the roster as it stands now, if he stays, that means we just sent a better player home in his stead.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
He isn’t going to take the backup job from Rush. Basically he is playing for PS spot. Not sure we will carry 3 qb.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
seems realistic. if I had to choose between white and rush right now, no brainer. rush.

Right now I have to give the edge to Rush, there are 3 more games to be played in pre season and unless White steps up I don't see him taking the 2nd string spot. If that is the case I would hope Whites shows enough to make it to PS.