Twitter: Quick Broaddus take on Odighizuwa

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not really seeing it with Hill. He has 1st rounder level burst but not many other tools in his bag. Gallimore is like a stronger version of him.

Osa's a different kind of dude. Strong, fast, explosive, agile for a man his size... he's just a great all around athlete.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
A great start??? Why do people keep saying this. He was not good at all last year. Being better than the year before or better than some of the trash we trotted out there was nowhere near good enough. IMO the only reason he won't be cut is because he is going to go on season ending IR. There isn't one defender that will make the 53 that I would cut for Hill
Because it's true

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to be a scout, but I have watched football a very long time.

And in every preseason game I see number 75 getting into the backfield- a lot. Osa jumps out at you, even to the untrained eye. I see a lot of Russell Maryland when I watch him play and that's a very good thing.

I see a lot of Russell Maryland / this is a pretty good observation I hadn't seen that

Proof

Reaction score
Can you point out the great start game?

Was it against the Rams when they ran for 153 and 2 TDs and he had 4 combined tackles?
Was it against the Falcons when they put up 40 points and he had 2 combined tackles?
Was it against the Seahawks when they put up 38 points and he had 1 tackle despite playing 8 more snaps that the previous 2 games?
Was it against the Browns when they put up 49 points including 307 on the ground and Hill played a whopping 86% of the snaps and contributed 3 tackles?
How about the Giants game where he played 22 snaps and contributed 1 assist before getting hurt against that anemic offense that had 20 points at halftime?

He finished the year with 11 tackles, 1 for loss, 3 QB hits in 212 snaps for statistically the worst D that Dallas has seen in perhaps forever. The more he played (Seahawks and Brows) the worse the defense performed.

#greatstart

yikes. i’m guilty of either misremembering or buying into what others said about hill last year, because i do remember having some cautionary excitement about his progression, but this is sobering as hell lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me . . . consistency, good -- inconsistency, bad . . . :grin:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hill's main two problems remained a problem. Yes, he did flash some ability to penetrate and yes, he does hustle, but he also has a bad habit of coming up high out of his stance, which allows the offensive lineman to gain leverage and drive him out against the run ... which contributed to our run-defense woes. Similarly, he doesn't stay square, which allows the offensive lineman to turn and steer him. This effectively negates him against both the run and pass.

Hill's potential is in that he's a big man with a quick first step, but if he doesn't win with that burst, which hasn't happened often, the offense has the advantage because he plays with poor technique. Gotta stay square and stay low.

One of the main reasons Odighizuwa is gaining some preseason praise is that he plays with great technique/leverage. That helps him overcome the fact that he's not a big man, although he does have a decent first step.
Bohanna has the same issue.

rambo2

Reaction score
Osa has already done more in preseason than the entire dtackles did all of last year.

plasticman

Reaction score
There are some players that, for one reason or another, never really get the opportunity to take off in their career. nagging injuries, lack of opportunity, noncompatible scheme, whatever.

It seemed that Hill was getting his opportunity and he was playing at about an average level.

36 DT's had 10 or more combined tackles after the first four games of 2020. Hill was in that group with 10. He also had a tackle for a loss and two QB hits. The average for this group in those two areas were 1.4 and 1.9 respectively.

I don't see any reason to believe that Hill wouldn't have improved from his first 4 starts. However, when a player develops a history of injuries in a short career span then it raises concern about reliability.

Either Hill fights through these injuries or they define him. Hopefully, he will rebound and prove to be a contributing piece to a defense that is potentially on the rise. We will see.

As far as Osa, I have seen throughout the Cowboys history that the great D-linemen flash early. Almost right out of the box, you can tell they are going to be special. I get that feeling about Osa. He is one of the solutions to a better run defense. He has taken what most offenses throw at a DT, double teams, blitzes, etc. He has more than held his own and I'm very excited about his potential.

Gallimore looks legit as well but I can't ignore the fact that he is also having injury issues. He really looked good prior to his arm injury and I hope he can make it back soon.

The DT's on this team have exciting potential but what we are seeing now is a repeat of last season, injury after injury to that unit. If Watkins, Hill, and Gallimore can get back after the first quarter of the season then the Cowboys have actual depth and can utilize that in a more productive rotation that keeps them from burning out somewhere along a 17 game season.

However, if this injury bug persists for the DT unit the Cowboys are in big trouble. This will negatively impact the squad with the greatest potential, the LB's.

rambo2

Reaction score
There are some players that, for one reason or another, never really get the opportunity to take off in their career. nagging injuries, lack of opportunity, noncompatible scheme, whatever.

It seemed that Hill was getting his opportunity and he was playing at about an average level.

36 DT's had 10 or more combined tackles after the first four games of 2020. Hill was in that group with 10. He also had a tackle for a loss and two QB hits. The average for this group in those two areas were 1.4 and 1.9 respectively.

I don't see any reason to believe that Hill wouldn't have improved from his first 4 starts. However, when a player develops a history of injuries in a short career span then it raises concern about reliability.

Either Hill fights through these injuries or they define him. Hopefully, he will rebound and prove to be a contributing piece to a defense that is potentially on the rise. We will see.

As far as Osa, I have seen throughout the Cowboys history that the great D-linemen flash early. Almost right out of the box, you can tell they are going to be special. I get that feeling about Osa. He is one of the solutions to a better run defense. He has taken what most offenses throw at a DT, double teams, blitzes, etc. He has more than held his own and I'm very excited about his potential.

Gallimore looks legit as well but I can't ignore the fact that he is also having injury issues. He really looked good prior to his arm injury and I hope he can make it back soon.

The DT's on this team have exciting potential but what we are seeing now is a repeat of last season, injury after injury to that unit. If Watkins, Hill, and Gallimore can get back after the first quarter of the season then the Cowboys have actual depth and can utilize that in a more productive rotation that keeps them from burning out somewhere along a 17 game season.

However, if this injury bug persists for the DT unit the Cowboys are in big trouble. This will negatively impact the squad with the greatest potential, the LB's.
I got to see his highlights from the Houston game. Osa was awesome.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Osa has already done more in preseason than the entire dtackles did all of last year.
I didn't know him honestly before the draft but I read a bio-wrestler piece on him and it clicked for me so I started watching. I'm not surprised but happy at his showing.
I've read others dismiss the wrestler aspect but go on and on about leverage. Thats wrestling ?

ESisback

Reaction score
So the middle will be held down by Oddigy, Bohanna, Urban and Watkins in September, along with whomever the Cowboys might sign in the next few days. Gallimore and Hill will come back in October, right? So why all the stress?

jrumann59

Reaction score

I get what your saying about injuries it wasn't like he strained a hammy or groin last year he blew out his knee. Not too much you can do to prevent that and certainly can't gut it out.