Twitter: Quick Broaddus take on Odighizuwa

Carson

Reaction score
Yes you are mistaken. Hill was the highest rated of all the DTs on the roster when he went down. Now given that the rest of them were ranked in the 90's around the league.. Hill may not have been great.. but he was the best of a bad lot before he got injured.
What I was reading

RonnieT24

Reaction score
A 33.8 from PFF is pretty terrible

I never said he was setting the word on fire. Just that he was outperforming the rest of the garbage he was lining up next to. DTs not named Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox don't typically put up huge numbers .. You generally have to watch the games and then freeze frame it to see how a guy is doing from down to down. And even then you don't know their assignments so you're only guessing anyway. I saw enough from Hill last year to make me believe that if you put competent play around him he can be a solid DT and if he continues to grow and mature he could evolve into a good one. I recall at least two plays when he chased down screen plays away from him and made the tackle 20 yards down the field. Anytime I see a DT doing that I take notice. I also have the lasting image of him splitting the guard/center block and being a half a step from obliterating Daniel Jones on the play he got hurt .. If it was 25 years ago he would have blown Jones up just as he let go of the ball and probably forced a bad throw.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get Jaylon fans, I get even Tyrone Crawford fans. Trysten Hill I'll never understand
Hill is the best of those 3.

It's not much of a compliment, but based on studying game footage, Hill was the best DT for the Cowboys last season when he played.

In 2019 Marinelli had him practice exclusively at 3-tech and he only played 3-tech in the preseason games.

Then in the regular season games that he did play, they played him primarily at 1-tech. Brilliant coaching...

stilltheguru

Reaction score

It's not much of a compliment, but based on studying game footage, Hill was the best DT for the Cowboys last season when he played.

In 2019 Marinelli had him practice exclusively at 3-tech and he only played 3-tech in the preseason games.

Then in the regular season games that he did play, they played him primarily at 1-tech. Brilliant coaching...
Were not discussing this again sir........And when Hill finally shows to be decent in his contract year like the bum he is dont try the I told you so thing.

Sydla

Reaction score

Smith had a good year in 2018. Granted he has since imploded. Hill has never played at a Smith 2018 level.

If you want to think Hill still has potential, fine. But let’s not stretch reality here.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
For me thill was okay. I think there was lots of excitement cause he went from needing a try hard clause with rod and a wasted 2nd rounder to possible rotation piece which is a big improvement and wasn't expected after his rookie year.

Agree. I think many down on Hill were on that early "he's a bust" train and aren't ever getting off it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Odighi played more snaps not at 3-tech and at 3-tech in the Texans game.

This preseason he has often played at 1-tech, 2 & 2i, 0 as well as 3-tech.

It was interested in the Texans game to see Odighi at 1-tech with 315+ pound Hamilton at 3-tech on some snaps.
Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Even at his weight, leverage is going to be a very strong point in his. He could be a focal players for the DL as far as winning leverage off the snap. I can see him moving around the interior based on where they want to focus. I think he is somewhat anthesis of Gallimore who is very explosive uphill, but is likely not going to be a major factor with leverage.

I had Odighizuwa pegged for that 4T role post draft. Under Quinn as DLC and DC, Seattle used a couple different archtype for that position. One being the big DT, and another being a more traditional LDE type player. Gaining leverage is most important role of that position, and it doesn't necessarily require a certain archtype. It can be Red Bryant, it can be Daryl Tapp (iirc), it can be Odighizuwa or it can be Urban

Jarntt

Reaction score
Hill had a great start before the injury. He will be an asset when he comes back.
A great start??? Why do people keep saying this. He was not good at all last year. Being better than the year before or better than some of the trash we trotted out there was nowhere near good enough. IMO the only reason he won't be cut is because he is going to go on season ending IR. There isn't one defender that will make the 53 that I would cut for Hill

Jarntt

Reaction score

I am not a Crawford or Jaylon guy, but that is nuts to think that we saw better play from Hill than from Crawford and Jaylon has put up some crap tape but also has put up much better tape than Hill ever has a few years back.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to be a scout, but I have watched football a very long time.

And in every preseason game I see number 75 getting into the backfield- a lot. Osa jumps out at you, even to the untrained eye. I see a lot of Russell Maryland when I watch him play and that's a very good thing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to be a scout, but I have watched football a very long time.

And in every preseason game I see number 75 getting into the backfield- a lot. Osa jumps out at you, even to the untrained eye. I see a lot of Russell Maryland when I watch him play and that's a very good thing.
I'm in the same boat you're in. I'll never claim to be a scout but to the untrained eye you constantly see him flashing.

quickccc

Reaction score
same with Anae, ..i'll wait to see him getting significant playing time in a full season, before judging him as a key player.
And a key player does not always have to be a starter, Jim Jeffcoat and Jimmie Jones eventually became fine key productive rotation guys.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Osa has had maybe only a couple snaps where he gets driven backwards. He is either holding the point of attack against double teams or winning his 1 on 1 matchup.

Like others have mentioned, he pops off the screen.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hill's main two problems remained a problem. Yes, he did flash some ability to penetrate and yes, he does hustle, but he also has a bad habit of coming up high out of his stance, which allows the offensive lineman to gain leverage and drive him out against the run ... which contributed to our run-defense woes. Similarly, he doesn't stay square, which allows the offensive lineman to turn and steer him. This effectively negates him against both the run and pass.

Hill's potential is in that he's a big man with a quick first step, but if he doesn't win with that burst, which hasn't happened often, the offense has the advantage because he plays with poor technique. Gotta stay square and stay low.

One of the main reasons Odighizuwa is gaining some preseason praise is that he plays with great technique/leverage. That helps him overcome the fact that he's not a big man, although he does have a decent first step.

Last edited: