Quick look at Zimmer's Defensive Personnel with the Vikings

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some positions were changed over, but here are the core starters during his time as Viking HC"

DE-Hunter/Griffen. Hunter was an elite edge rusher in his defense. By the way he is a fa this offseason. Could Sam Williams become our Hunter?
DT-Linval Joseph. A legitimate 1 Tech with massive size. This was suppose to be Mazi, but they probably have to add a veteran.

MLB-Kendricks We are going to have to find our Mike linebacker this offseason as Lve's career looks to be over.
OLB-Barr. Parsons fits this role to a tee.

CB-Rhodes/Waynes-2 former 1st rd picks, with Rhodes being elite at this time. Zimmer always has valued high level corners. Wouldn't be shocked if they add another
S-Harrison Smith/Anthony Harris. 2 high level safeties.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some positions were changed over, but here are the core starters during his time as Viking HC"

DE-Hunter/Griffen. Hunter was an elite edge rusher in his defense. By the way he is a fa this offseason. Could Sam Williams become our Hunter?
DT-Linval Joseph. A legitimate 1 Tech with massive size. This was suppose to be Mazi, but they probably have to add a veteran.

MLB-Kendricks We are going to have to find our Mike linebacker this offseason as Lve's career looks to be over.

CB-Rhodes/Waynes-2 former 1st rd picks, with Rhodes being elite at this time. Zimmer always has valued high level corners. Wouldn't be shocked if they add another
Dont forgot he had Dalvin Tomlinson too

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
What titles and accomplishments does Zimmer have as DC or HC after 20 years?

The answer to that is all you need to know that this was a bad hire.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I don't know what is coaching style will be. I haven't seen him coaching for a decade.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

the DE’s are what scares me. we have Dlaw and he’s a good SDE but we have no WDE/Leo unless your going to bulk up parsons, which i doubt. no SLB no MLB parsons and over shown are WLB no NT but we can get one in FA and Draft. don’t know what to do with Mazi at 295 was just as slow as 335. our secondary zims going to love. just not sure how you plug all the holes on defense and leave all the holes on offense alone.

MikeT22

Reaction score
the DE’s are what scares me. we have Dlaw and he’s a good SDE but we have no WDE/Leo unless your going to bulk up parsons, which i doubt. no SLB no MLB parsons and over shown are WLB no NT but we can get one in FA and Draft. don’t know what to do with Mazi at 295 was just as slow as 335. our secondary zims going to love. just not sure how you plug all the holes on defense and leave all the holes on offense alone.
Yeah too many needs, DT, MLB, DE, OC, RB and even another WR and OT.

Pollard is gone unless we overpay to bring him back for a 6th season. Unless we go with Rico, Davis and a low end FA we will probably have to draft one on day 2. That leaves two more pick in the first three rounds.

We also need an upgrade at OC. We either don’t upgrade and resign Biadaz, or we draft one in the first three rounds.

MLB is a must. 2nd /3rd round or hope to get a starter in FA or bottom of the draft.

Any way you look at it, we have at least 6 significant needs and only 3 picks before the bottom of the 5th. And the odds you get three quality starters in the first 3 rounds is astronomical. It’s also asking a lot to get more than one starter in FA.

Hope Jerry and Stephen enjoy their time on the yacht.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Yeah too many needs, DT, MLB, DE, OC, RB and even another WR and OT.

Pollard is gone unless we overpay to bring him back for a 6th season. Unless we go with Rico, Davis and a low end FA we will probably have to draft one on day 2. That leaves two more pick in the first three rounds.

We also need an upgrade at OC. We either don’t upgrade and resign Biadaz, or we draft one in the first three rounds.

MLB is a must. 2nd /3rd round or hope to get a starter in FA or bottom of the draft.

Any way you look at it, we have at least 6 significant needs and only 3 picks before the bottom of the 5th. And the odds you get three quality starters in the first 3 rounds is astronomical. It’s also asking a lot to get more than one starter in FA.

Hope Jerry and Stephen enjoy their time on the yacht.
that last line is perfect. If we know they are on their Yacht at the start of FA we know its business as usual get the scraps left over FA and we are NOT ALL IN.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

Man, if we sign just one high-levelish FA this offseason, I hope it's Reader. He would fit that Joseph role very well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Can Sam Williams become that DE? If not, why not try to sign Hunter as a fa
-Believe Parsons will play that Anthony Barr role, strong-side linebacker against the run and rush the passer against the pass
-Team's top defensive need this offseason to finding a legitimate MLB. Believe Overshown will be the Weakside Backer.
-NT is another primary need as Mazi is still green, just sign a stop gap veteran. Not just a minimum type of guy, either.
-Secondary starters are good, need a nickel corner.

DE, NT, MLB, Nickel Corner

Fix NT/MLB and our run defense vastly improves.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

To be clear, I don't think Anthony Barr is as good as Parsons, but I don't have much faith that Zimmer will use him correctly.
Barr was a LB his last two years at UCLA and totaled 24 sacks during that span
In Minnesota, his career high was 4
I just don't think he blitzes often enough for my taste...he's more of a coverage guy than a blitz guy imo

calicowboy54

Reaction score
To be clear, I don't think Anthony Barr is as good as Parsons, but I don't have much faith that Zimmer will use him correctly.
Barr was a LB his last two years at UCLA and totaled 24 sacks during that span
In Minnesota, his career high was 4
I just don't think he blitzes often enough for my taste...he's more of a coverage guy than a blitz guy imo
He seems to do a lot of blitzing in the A/B gaps, and try and let his DE's win on the outside.